Amps that are as good as Singlepower ($2000-$5000)
Oct 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Gollie

100+ Head-Fier
At this point, even though I really wanted a Maestro as my next upgrade, I would have to see a drastic improvement in service and responsiveness before I ever sent Mikhail money again.
angry_face.gif
With that being said, what other amps rival the sonic quality of Singlepower in the $2000-$5000 range?!

I really love my MPX3 so i'd hate to spend a lot of money and fall short of it actually being and "upgrade."

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 39
I spent a little time researching comparable amps in case I couldn't get my Supra repaired to my satisfaction. The tube amps that people seemed to say were comparable and/or that sound quite good include the Woo Audio amps (such as the 6SE and the WA22) and the Zana Deux amp. I haven't heard these, but some folks reported that they thought they sounded as good as some of the Singlepower amps and one or two folks stated they preferred the Zana Deux to the SP amp (as I recall).

P.S. Just as a suggestion, you might want to change to the title of your thread to "Looking for replacement for Singlepower amp" or something like that, as the current title suggests it's just another thread about Singlepower being MIA, which may generate less views and fewer helpful responses.
regular_smile .gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 39
^ Perhaps, but the question is what other amps sound as good, and at what cost? I'm curious about this as well, and it would be particularly helpful to hear from owners or former owners of SP amps that have moved on to something else.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering I've seen the insides of a LOT of SinglePower amps lately while fixing mine, it's REALLY nothing special, in fact it's a basic and simple design that's implemented poorly.

This inspires some extra questions... I hope it doesn't derail the thread....
What makes it sound so good then? (as people claim... I haven't heard one) Great components?
The use of a basic and simple design?
(Would it be terribly hard for someone reasonably competent to build a very similar design, but without the dangerous flaws? Is there such a DIY design already?)

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Perhaps, but the question is what other amps sound as good, and at what cost? I'm curious about this as well, and it would be particularly helpful to hear from owners or former owners of SP amps that have moved on to something else.

There's a meet coming up next month, Nov 21st, in OC if you're available to attend. Looks to be a lot of good stuff for listening.
happy_face1.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'm saying is that the amps DON'T sound that good. I'm not a tube guy, so I don't know many tube amps, but from the hybrids I've built (SOHA with JISBOS, SOHA2, Millet MAX, Millet MOSFET MAX), I would say ALL sound better than the MPX3 at a fraction of the cost. Then again, I'm not a tube guy.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, and everybody has their own idiosyncrasies, but there have been many, many SP owners who rave over the sound of the SP amps and say that they are the best amps they ever heard. That's certainly how I feel, and I was assuming that the OP was also an SP owner that was very pleased with the sound of his SP amp(s). Therefore, in this context, I think it would be most helpful (no offense) to hear from people who think SP amps sound good, and who can offer opinions about what amps sound equally as good. After all, if you hate Chinese food, I don't think your recommendation for a Chinese restaurant that is as good as the one that just closed down in my neighborhood would be that helpful.
normal_smile .gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a meet coming up next month, Nov 21st, in OC if you're available to attend. Looks to be a lot of good stuff for listening.
happy_face1.gif

Nov. 21 is my birthday. That's pretty good karma, so I may have to attend. Where's it going to be?

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 39
I'd go with one of the Eddie Current models. The Zana is still one of the best available and is the only OTL that will drive low-impedance headphones properly. It maks a wonderful preamp, as well.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 39
Oct 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with one of the Eddie Current models. The Zana is still one of the best available and is the only OTL that will drive low-impedance headphones properly. It maks a wonderful preamp, as well.

I'd have to agree that the ZDT I heard at RMAF was a faster, more detailed and neutral amp than the MPX3 Slam SE I own. I think I have fixed mine (SP never made the same model with the same components twice) with the help provided on this board. And I decided to keep it.

Why? Because the MPX3 can have so many different voices and mine is a very good sonic performer as well. Also, I have invested a lot in tubes to get the best out of it and have found a few combinations I like very much.

Others can arrive at different conclusions, esp since the MPX3s and Extremes I have seen each contain a grab bag of different parts.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 39
We have a meet in Houston tomorrow. Hopefully, there will be something that wets my palate...

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This inspires some extra questions... I hope it doesn't derail the thread....
What makes it sound so good then? (as people claim... I haven't heard one) Great components?
The use of a basic and simple design?
(Would it be terribly hard for someone reasonably competent to build a very similar design, but without the dangerous flaws? Is there such a DIY design already?)

There's always the Bijou.. The Bijou Headphone Amplifier

GlassJar Audio carries Kits (except for the casing, connectors, transformers etc)

or if you are open to Hybrid, the EHHA is getting a lot of praise..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back