Amps best suited for Sennheiser HD800
Oct 10, 2011 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Snifter

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone.
I am new to this forum and new to headphones, amps etc.
I am saving up for the Sennheiser HD800 and would like to know what amps (including portable) , cables and whatever else I need to get the most out of the headphones.

I mainly listen to Eminem, and a little Prodigy, I also like good bass :)
I would like to know what I need for when I am out and about, and also what I need when I am just at home.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thankyou

Regards Jason

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 16
Welcome to head-fi Jason, 

Its not a good idea to use the HD800's as portables, as they are big and + you need a really good source to drive them properly. I also see that you like good bass. Probably they are not for you IMO as they are on the light side of it. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 16
Driving balanced HD 800's with Headroom BUDA via cardas with Wadia DAc (the better model, whatever it's called). This combo provides truly unprecedented depth, breadth, separation, and cohesiveness of soundstage (for head cans) and really wonderful timbal resolution. Neutral and completely transparent presentation. Largely flat response, but very neutral. They are the bomb for classical (unbelieveable experience listening to Julia Fischer, Rostropovich, Vienna Beethoven Symphonies, Wiinona Zelenka Bach Suites). Great but slightly less impressive with jazz. For my listening purposes and preferences, I love them. But I really don't think you will be happy listening to Eminem through these cans. As someone said, they are a sound engineer's dream, but they are definitely not " musical." You will do better sound wise with much "cheaper" cans.

I would also be interested in what others recommend as the best no-dollars-barred amp for these Sennheisers, as I DO sense some difficulty driving them with the Headroom BUDA. They sound great with BUDA, but ironically lacking in "headroom" in terms of volume control.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 16
I too am interested in recommendations for a top-quality amp for the HD800s. I am looking for an amp that is highly transparent and neutral. I do not want or need the amp to tame or tone the signal before it gets to the HD800s. I have an excellent DAC, and I want the amp to pass everything from the DAC to the HD800s as fully and cleanly as possible.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 16
I too am interested in recommendations for a top-quality amp for the HD800s. I am looking for an amp that is highly transparent and neutral. I do not want or need the amp to tame or tone the signal before it gets to the HD800s. I have an excellent DAC, and I want the amp to pass everything from the DAC to the HD800s as fully and cleanly as possible.

Zana Deux.

-Daniel

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

The GS-1 will tell it like it is.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/115078/review-headamp-gs-1

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592999/headamp-gs-1-a-forgotten-treasure

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 16
A friend got it after 2 weeks but it depends, have you emailed Eddie? 

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 16
IMO, DIY amps are better when it comes to 1000usd and above price range

better because you get to choose the parts from everything inside and outside the amplifier. you can modify its sound signature/current/power output as well to fit your liking. the problem is who is going to build one.. im pretty sure it sounds better than branded 2000++ usd amps at the cost of less than 1000usd. i also think the parts + enclosure for a DIY amp is less than 1000usd.

to answer OP's question, DIY amps are best for your hd800 =D

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 16
How about Cavalli Liquid Fire for non portable use ?

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 16
GS-X -- excellent amp if you're going balanced; if not try to find a GS-1.  Very neutral and transparent, more than enough power for HD800s.   IMO the GS-X is much better with all types of music than the BUDA (too distant and uninspiring).   The GS-X will bring you right into the music in a very dynamic and involving way.  

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
How about Cavalli Liquid Fire for non portable use ?

Amazing with the HD800s. I like it better than the WA2, WA22 and B22. 

The GS-1 will tell it like it is.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/115078/review-headamp-gs-1

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592999/headamp-gs-1-a-forgotten-treasure

I don't know, that second reviewer is a bit sketchy. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back