Amplify's Headphone Ranking & Discussion (Ranking in First Post)
Oct 26, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #107 of 587
I think many times comparisons between HP's of vastly differing prices can be kind of useless...unless the more expensive one is a big underperformer I find we get a lot of people who own the less expensive one trying to suggest the flagship isnt 3 or 4 times better which is inevitably true but completely irrelevant...that debate is only worthwhile for the person who is debating how much money to spend and what they are willing to give up or go without....if you have the money available and a 4k HP is only twice as good as a 1K HP who cares?...it is better and if you are willing to pay for the improvement that is all that matters....
I think that is true, generally high end mid range devices will get you 90-95% of the highest flagship (think he1000se vs Susvara) with the flagship getting you that extra 5-10%, but nonetheless there are those of us (virtually all of head-fi) community that will pay for the extra 10%. The other situation to consider is the different technologies. You now have Beryllium Dynamic Drivers, AMT, Planar, Ribbon and Electrostatic which inevitably all supplant different sound signatures. As weird and uncomfortable as the HEDDphone was, its a wildly amazing sound signature that is not planar nor dynamic nor electrostatic. I think we will see additional AMT products coming. Monolith by monoprice has one incoming for $1k that appears may be more comfortable. Will have to wait find out. Good tech if we can get a comfortable set.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #109 of 587
I no longer own the stellia or utopia but I was one of those who liked the stellia better than the utopia...to me it shockingly had a wider soundstage and better bass...in terms of detail it was so close that it was an issue for me...
Oh, you have sold your Stellia? Wow.

New closedback incoming?

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #110 of 587
This is great…thank you for doing this.

So Arya v1, v2, or v3? Which do you prefer?

Any timetable on a LCD-5 review?
It should reach me on Nov 15, fingers crossed. I will try to drop impressions on my YT channel a few days thereafter.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #111 of 587
It should reach me on Nov 15, fingers crossed. I will try to drop impressions on my YT channel a few days thereafter.
I think I have the Arya v1, didn’t know there was a v2, I think there’s only two version v1 without stealth magnets and v2 with stealth magnets and I liked the v1 more. It has almost identical clarity, but seamed to have more low end. Stealth magnets look and seam smaller and admittedly sounded like they had less weight on the low end.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #112 of 587
Great readup. Looking forward to the rest

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #113 of 587
@Sajid Amit , I think the HEDDphone actually looks really good on you! Totally agree about its ergonomics, though. I didn't find the Stellia's soundstage particularly impressive or natural, but glad you do, since you own it. :relaxed:
No, its not particularly impressive or natural, but I like it for a closedback.

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #114 of 587

IE900 or Thieaudio Monarch?

For now, the Monarch, but many or most might prefer the IE900.

The IE900 is more technically capable but the Monarch has a more “all-rounder” kind of tonality, especially in midrange. It is more Harman-tuned so to speak.

I also find the Monarch very comfortable.

Despite the size, I find the shells quite comfortable in my ears. A snug but not tight fit.

And the cable is just so excellent. Maybe I am just very used to the Monarch, in the best sense possible.

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #115 of 587
Headphone Impresssions from Recent Travels (Part 1)
By Sajid Amit, Amplify

I recently traveled to India where I was a part of 4 or 5 audiophile meets in two different cities. The largest meet was organized by Sennheiser in Gurgaon at their HQ. And what a wonderful meet-up it was. Other than various Sennheiser headphones, and others audiophiles had brought with them, I got to hear the HE-1!

Orpheus 1.JPG

I also spent some time listening to headphones at Headphone Zone in Mumbai. HPZ is India’s largest audiophile store, to my knowledge, and the flagship headphones they have on display, are quite diverse and impressive.

Rack.JPG

For reference, I personally own the Hifiman Susvara, Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC, Raal SR1a, Stax 009S, and the Focal Stellia, and have the Audeze LCD5 incoming.

What follows are my impressions on all the headphones I listened to on this trip, in no particular order, some for the first time, and others, for the second or third. I also hope to soon update my ranking on the first post here.

So here goes.

Sennheiser IE 900:

The IE900s are really impressive monitors. They were the best IEMs I heard on this trip. What stands out about these monitors is their fast, snappy, detailed, and pretty hard-hitting bass and infinite treble extension, without, for me, ever being bright or sibilant. Also surprising is how good the midrange is on this IEM, despite being a tad recessed. The entire presentation still sounds natural. There is plenty of detail, staging is wide, aided by the V-shaped FR, dynamics are solid, and timbre is pretty good. The only shortcoming worth pointing out is the cable is total janky junk. :)

IE 900.jpg

HIFMAN HE1000 V2:

I didn’t like the HE1000 V2 a lot. I know many love the V2, but to my ears, they were bright and the dynamics reminded me of the Susvara – too polite for my ears. Politeness can be a desirable trait if the entire presentation is like the Susvara’s – smooth, flowing, organic, etc., which can lend itself well to genres like classical, acoustic, jazz, etc. However, I wasn’t sure what genres I would listen to the HEKV2 with. I thought the staging was not noticeably wide or deep; imaging was fine; and detail retrieval was very good, but overall, I wasn’t a fan. It sounded like a brighter, slightly bassier, and a less technically-adept Susvara with those oval caps I never liked, lol. But the owner, a good friend of mine, likes his a lot, so that's what matters. Not my cup of tea.

HFM V2.jpg

FOCAL Stellia:

The Focal Stellia are my current favorite closed-back. I was a fan of the HIFIMAN HE-R10P when I first heard it, probably because it was a reasonable complement to my Susvara, which was my only TOTL headphone at that time. But once I bought the Abyss TC, and got used to it, it made the HE-R10P redundant. Comparing the Stellia to the R10P, the Stellia has a far better tonality. The Stellia's bass is elevated and is great fun; the midrange sounds natural; and the treble is forward without ever being in-your-face, grating, sharp, or peaky.

Stellia 2.JPG

Dynamics are outstanding, as is Focal’s wont. The headphone stages brilliantly for a closedback with great layering and imaging. It, to me, sounds like a flawless headphone, with outstanding aesthetics. The unequivocal weakness is its stock cable which is janky and an area of contention could be its timbre, which can sound metallic in the treble. I quite like it, because percussion instruments sound great, lol. I bet this is the first time someone has made an argument in favor of Focal's (slight?) metallic timbre!

Stellia 1.JPG

Sennheiser HD820:

I was not a fan of this headphone, so I won’t spend too much dwelling on why. It had a nice midrange when you first listen to it and a decent sense of staging and imaging. But there is serious wonkiness in the tonality. It is a muddy-sounding headphone with clear bass bleed and a strange implementation of the presence region, causing it to sound boxy, unclear and congested. It is a classic reminder of how hard it is to build flagship level closed-backs. All the more reason to appreciate the Stellia.

HD820.JPG

The HEDDphone:

HEDD Audio’s headphone was a mixed bag. Yes, it is technically as proficient as people say it is, extremely hard to drive, and ridiculously uncomfortable for long-listening. I didn’t like the implementation of the cups or the yoke or the overall weight. Easily the worst headphone I have tried in terms of comfort. Look at how ridiculous I look with it, lol.

HEDD 2.JPG

However, it is a performance-oriented headphone with an incredible treble that is detailed, silky, and enjoyable, and overall great detail retrieval and good dynamics across the frequency range. Other than its comfort, the HEDDphone has no faults. The midrange can be thin sounding but I know people who like the midrange because it is not overly lush. In sum, if you can deal with the comfort and don't need a lush midrange, it is probably a bargain at MSRP and even more so, at used prices, as the HEDDPhone tends to not hold value in the secondary market.

Stax SR009S:

I have a Stax SR009S incoming, and about to reach me in the next 2 days. I ordered a Stax SR009S and a KGSHHV Carbon because I wanted sufficient time with TOTL e-stats. And I am still hoping that off the Carbon, the 009S will please more than it did off the Stax amp and the Cayin DAC.

Stax 009S.jpg

However, on this setup, the 009S was a rather mixed experience. It sounded smooth like the Susvara with similarities in tonal presentation, but was rather peaky on several tracks. The e-stat timbre is noticeable, which is fine with me – not the most natural sounding – but it’s nice for a change. In fact, estats seldom sound natural, because of a lack of the tactile quality that makes percussion on Stellia sound lifelike despite compromises on timbre. However, the SR009S speed is great, detail retrieval is flagship class (less than the SR1a), and staging and imaging are quite good, and commensurate with the price.

Audeze LCD-2 (Classics) and LCD-3:

I am not a fan of the older LCD headphones. I do have an LCD-5 incoming and I am extremely curious to try the CRBN, but this is inspired by the 2021 tunings of the Audeze LCD-X and the LCD-XC 2021.

As is well-known, the LCD-2 and 3 sound warm, creamy, inviting, with a nice midrange and decent bass, but I find them boring and lackluster after a while. Their technical performance is fine for their respective price points, but I enjoy the macrodynamic quality of a Focal Clear more than what these headphones offer, and the resolution, timbre and staging of the HD800 or an HD800s. The lack of energy in upper midrange, to me, is a serious drawback.

LCD 2 vs LCD 3.JPG

Audeze LCD-XC 2021:

The LCDXC 2021 is an awesome headphone for the price, especially given the closedback use case. That said, I much prefer the Stellia and even the Celeste over it. :)

XC21 1.JPG

However, the reason I call it "awesome" is that it retains the warmth and body of the LCD lineup with a more present upper midrange. The detail retrieval, staging, and imaging are all great for the price, but the Celeste, to me, has better macrodynamics, and overall, a superior tonality to the XC. The Stellia is a clearly better headphone than the XC, but you would expect that at its price point. A/B-ing between the XC and the Stellia, the first thing you notice is the sense of space and layering in the Stellia – very open-back-like.

Stellia vs XC 21.jpg

That’s it for Part 1 of my two part series on headphone, IEM, and amp/DAC impressions. Will post Part 2 in a couple of days with impressions of Focal Celeste, Meze Empyrean, Meze Elite, Sony IER-Z1R, Shure KSE1200, Sennheiser Orpheus HE-1, Sennheier HD800s, and select amps and DACs.
awesome experience and writeup!!! how would you compare the verite closed to the stellia? which one would be a better complement to the susvara? also, have you heard any iems you like more than the ie900, or is it your favorite? thanks so much! sorry, thought of one more thing, have you heard the kennerton rognir?

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #117 of 587
This is quite interesting to read! Having just bought myself a Stellia, I can relate to a lot of points here. Seeing how you're enjoying them, I guess they'd now switch places with the HE-R10P in the rankings? Personally I find them to be the best all-rounder I've heard from Focal. My main nitpick is that cymbals are sounding kind of weird compared to the Focal open-backs I used to own, but thats's literally my only gripe sound-wise (Build-wise the headband was quite creaky, some teflon spray solved the issue but I don't think that should've been required at this price-point).

I'd also love to see the Stellia being compared to the Vérité Closed. I can't judge the VC having never heard it, but it'd be really interesting to determine which one is the better dynamic closed-back headphone (I guess it'd also be the best one in the world too, I can't think of any other contenders.)

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #118 of 587
Sure.

So I would pick the Focal Stellia, given my current sonic preferences, over both the ZMF Verite Closed as well as the HIFIMAN R10P.

Reasons:

1. I just love the Focal dynamic slam and punch. Coupled with the Stellia's bass energy, the overall macrodynamic quality is very satisfying. Only the Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC surpasses the Stellia, IMO, in regard to this quality. When I listen to closed-backs, I suppose I am listening more for fun than for critical listening, and the slammy, punchy quality becomes important to me.

2. I like a good midrange just like the average person, and in some ways, the Stellia sounds less colored in the midrange to me than the VC. The VC is overall a very colored, hypersatured presentation (think of a photo with its saturation tweaked up). The VC can sound beautiful, but it's too warm for me, given my current preferences. The R10P has a decent midrange but can sound muddy on some tracks.

3. Technically, the R10P might edge the Stellia and the VC, and the VC and the Stellia are roughly equal, but the bulild quality of the R10P started to annoy me over time, lol, even though I am not someone who indexes hard for build quality. I am glad Hifiman tried to change the design at least, and has given the later iterations of the R10P, Susvara-like yokes, as was evident from photos of the recent CanJam.

4. Soundstage-wise, the R10P, Stellia and the VC all stage decently for closed-back's. The VC has a decent front to back stage and that reverb quality of ZMF headphones. The Stellia has a traditional Focal stage, with limited width, but amazing depth, and just incredible layering. The R10P has decent lateral width. Overall, I prefer the Stellia's staging.

All that being said, a lot of people who have heard all many summit-fi headphones still like the VC, and think it's a special headphone, so that's worth considering. But I wouldn't buy the VC blind basically, as it's coloration might not suit everyone.

The Stellia is an easier blind-buy, if that matters to you, especially if you are acquainted with the Focal house sound and timbre. For context, the Stellia sounds no more or less metallic than the Clear, in the treble, but overall, it's a smoother presentation than the Clear; the midrange is more lush; the bass is just better in every way; and the treble is energetic without being offensive.

I also love how the Stellia looks, lol. Although I understand that Stellia's looks can be divisive.

Nov 2, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #119 of 587
This is great…thank you for doing this.

So Arya v1, v2, or v3? Which do you prefer?

Any timetable on a LCD-5 review?
Hey @Sense, I haven't heard the Arya Stealth version. I owned the V2 and I understand they fixed a treble peak issue with the V2, which I quite liked. I would recommend the V2 but keep in mind I haven't heard the Stealth version.

Nov 2, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #120 of 587
Day 5 with the Stax SR009S. Susvara has some pros over the 009S (more prominent vocals), but overall the 009S may be winning the battle. The SR1a with a subwoofer may best both, to me, but at the cost of being more fatiguing.

IMG_4252.jpeg

The SR009S is like a good mix between the SR1a and the Susvara, with better bass than both, off my KGSSHV Carbon.

My Carbon is built by @Dukei in Sweden. The pairing with the SR009S is rather excellent. The Carbon is supposed to have been tuned with the 009 (the earlier version of the 009S).

IMG_4100.jpeg

This same headphone, the SR009S, sounded so different off the Cayin DAC and the Stax amp (brighter and less bassy)!

Stax 009S.jpg

Overall, the SR009S might be the least fatiguing of all my high-end headphones, which is a surprise, honestly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back