Amplify's Headphone Ranking & Discussion (Ranking in First Post)
Oct 15, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #78 of 587
Sajid, what are your thoughts on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS as an all in one unit to be used as both the DAC and headphone amp for non-power hungry headphones (eg Focal Stellia, Fostex TH900)… was wondering if you had any experience with this unit?

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #79 of 587
Hello Head-fiers,

Dropping MICRO-REVIEWS of my favorite headphones and IEMs below. They are ranked as per my overall subjective preference, price no bar.

I have not heard every headphone in the world, and the ranking is only of headphones I have heard (which I am fortunate to report, is a fair number).

SECTION 1: Headphones

1a. HIFIMAN Susvara: Very natural, musical and analog-sounding. Arguably the one headphone among TOTL that has no obvious flaws. Strength is it's midrange which is liquid, fluid, and emotional. Strings and vocals come to life on the Susvara. Treble is wonderfully energetic without ever being sibilant. Bass is often EQ-ed by users, and absolutely demands a speaker amp for the bass to sound its best. Overall, my favorite headphone for a long, long time, and is a wonderful all rounder. No weaknesses; however, no ostensible wow factor, other than the liquid midrange and overall timbral and tonal performance. I also prefer a tad more bass impact, but nothing a good EQ can't fix.

1.jpg

1b. Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC: Class-leading technicalities, and arguably the most powerful bass and slam on a headphone. Mids can be recessed and dry, but works with the rest of the presentation, which is a tad U-shaped. Best headphone on the planet for rock and metal. Darn good for EDM. Works excellently with live music as well. The one caveat is that if the vocals on a track are dry and recessed to start with, they will sound un-engaging with the TC. If vocals are sweet to start with, TC will deliver them adequately. Imaging, sound stage, and detail retrieval also excellent, probably second only to the Raal SR1a. My video review comparing the TC, Susvara, and Raal SR1a here.

64dd45ef-8bed-4dc7-95ba-4aef0bbc1cf3.jpg

3. Raal SR1a: Serbia's gift to the head-fi community. Wonderful speed, resolution, sound stage, vocals. Bass and slam can be lacking, but EQ can do the trick (somewhat). Needs a speaker amp to be driven properly; this is not a good-to-have, but a must-have. Of course, Raal has its own amp, but that's another $4000. I personally consider the SR1a flavor headphone. It won't replace the TC anytime soon, but comes close to the Susvara in overall performance, and surpasses it in some respects. Another downside is that the ribbon drivers start clipping when you play bass heavy tracs too loud. All said and done, I prefer the TC and the Susvara to the Raal for being better all-rounders, and having fewer quirks.

85c2bc9a-f4a3-4444-9f8d-54cbb5fb2c7a.JPG

4. Final Audio D8000: This is the world's most underrated headphone. It has one of the best bass presentations on a headphone, period. It's dynamic, and overall sound signature is warm. Bass comes down appropriately to reveal very natural vocals and instruments. Treble is present without ever being sibilant. Good detail retrieval at its price point. Sound stage is not exceedingly deep or wide, but wider than on the Utopia. Overall, I prefer this to either the Utopia or the LCD-4, at this price range. I have not heard the D8000 Pro, but I hear it's brighter.

C266ED7C-6675-4468-ACD2-D18B060C6B90.JPG

5. Focal Utopia: The French speaker manufacturer's finest headphone till date. Very musical, fast and dynamic. Hits the Harman 2018 Target beautifully. Can be a tad bass-shy and the timbre can be metallic, but this headphone works well with all genres, and maybe the best all-rounder in the market, along with the D8000, if you can get over its slightly metallic timbre, and the forward (almost shouty) mids.

Disclaimer: I have not had long listening sessions with the HIFIMAN HE1000SE, V1 and V2 so not including these HIFIMAN headphones in my ranking, although from sources I trust, they are wonderful headphones worth a try.

6. Audeze LCD 4: Warm, laidback, bassy. Low to mid treble is relatively rolled-off so can sound a tad veiled compared to other TOTLs. Bass is class-leading, only surpassed by the Abyss 1266 Phi TC. Vocals are thicker and more natural than on the TC. Sound stage and imaging are decent. My biggest problem with this headphone is that when you listen to a Susvara or a TC and then put on the LCD-4, the LCD-4 can appear veiled, given its low-to-mid treble recession.

7. HIFIMAN HE-R10P: The HIFIMAN HE-R10P is a very technically proficient headphone with a warm, mid-centric sound signature. In terms of technical attributes, it is a very dynamic and punchy headphone. It has class-leading imaging compared to any flagship headphone, open or closed. It also stages better than many flagship open-backs, and certainly better than any closed-back out there. The mid-range has some energy in 500-3 kHz, which means that vocals sound forward, sweet, and rich, without becoming shouty or harsh. This headphone is particularly good for vocal-based tracks, especially female vocals. However, the one downside of the mid-range centric tuning is that the overall presentation can come off as bit polite and relaxed. It lacks the absolute sharpness and clarity of a Focal Utopia or if you are into IEMs, the Final A8000.

IMG_7786.jpeg

8. Focal Stellia: Focal's iconic closed-back is not a closed-back Utopia, but has a warmer and more laidback tuning than the Utopia. It's bassier, has decent sound stage width for a closed back, and impressive technical performance. The Stellia is probably more appropriately priced at around $2-2.5K, but there are deals available if one looks, and of course one mustn't forget that there is a usually premium for high-end closed-back's.

Disclaimer: I would place the RAD-0 and the ZMF Verite Open/Closed here in overall performance, but my time with the RAD-0 and Verite O/C was too brief for even micro-reviews.

9. Meze Empyrean: Arguably the world's most comfortable headphones with iconic aesthetics. Tuning is great, with solid bass, a warm mid range, and a pleasantly tuned treble. It is with regard to technical performance that the Empyrean leaves a lot to be desired, at its price range. Technical-performance wise, headphones far less expensive give it a run for its money, and surpass it in some cases. However, owners who like it, seem to like it a lot. For those that yearn to get the best technical performance for their buck, may want to look elsewhere.

10. Abyss Diana V2: This popular headphone has great technical performance. Aesthetics are lovely but comfort is subpar. The bass is excellent, the mids are dry, but still works well with rock and EDM. Overall, not my favorite headphone, and I found it a tad over-rated.

IMG_9787.JPG

11. Hifiman Arya: The Aryas are Hifiman's second best headphone in the world, after the Susvara (barring their e-stats). Overall, the Arya can be an endgame for many if you are not looking to spend thousands of dollars. The tuning is lovely, including great bass extension, present mids, and a vibrant treble. The Arya after its silent revision is not a bright headphone at all, but it has some treble energy and pairs well with a warm amp. The Arya soundstage is amazing! No major weakness at this price point. A video review I have made comparing the Auteur, the Focal Clear, and the Arya is here.

2.jpeg

12. Focal Clear: One of my favorite headphones in the world after substantial burn-in. Perfectly neutral (Harman 2018) with great bass and slam. You put them on and everything just sounds right! The bass and slam sound so real. All Focal headphones do this well. The Clear is also wonderfully resolving at its price point. I would say this ties with the Arya as the best headphone at this price range. It doesn't have the Arya's sound stage, but Arya sounds soft compared to the Clear's dynamic energy.

1ACC108D-000A-4349-8A26-23512EC34DCF.jpeg

13. ZMF Auteur: Best-in-class timbre, aesthetics, build, and a warm, laid back tuning. No major weakness at this price point. One of my favorite headphones of all time. Tuning is more universally appealing than the tuning on the Verite Open. Stunning aesthetics - probably the best looking headphone in the world. I let it go in order to maintain some fiscal prudence when I bought the Raal, but I miss it. It has some enchanting vocals.

IMG_9760.JPG

14. Sennheiser HD800s: A classic and deservedly so. Great detail retrieval and sound stage (second widest after the Raal SR1a), and very comfortable. However, frequency response is counter-clockwise tilted and bright, although not as bright as the OG HD800. Pairs well with a tube amp. I also find the bass lacking.

Disclaimer: I have not heard the Focal headphones in the sub-1000 dollar price bracket. I have also not heard the Ananda. Neither have I heard ZMF headphones in around the kilobuck range.

15. Focal Radiance: Not a closed-back Clear but close. Bass is faster and more detailed on the Focal Clear, but has more sub-bass and mid-bass energy on the Radiance, so it will slam harder. I, however, prefer the Clear's combination of bass quality and quantity to what the Radiance offers. The Radiance is also warmer in the midrange owing to the mid-bass energy, and surprisingly, has some mid-treble energy that is not noticeable on the Clear. Still a great option for a closed-back if you like the Focal house sound. Overall, V-shaped, bassy, and fun.

unnamed (1).jpg

16. Hifiman Sundara: The Sundaras have great technical performance and tuning at this price point. Can be slightly bright for treble-sensitive listeners, especially if paired with the wrong source. But overall technical performance is really, really impressive at this price range. Great entry-point to planar magnetic headphones. My video review comparing the Sundara, the Sennheiser HD 600 and the HD 650 here.

IMG-6298.JPG

17. Sennheiser HD 600/650: These headphones are famous for being non-fatiguing and having class-leading timbre and vocals. However, the 600 has a rather limp bass IMO, while the 650 sounds veiled and unclear. Overall, I loved both these headphones at a point in time, but don't enjoy them as much anymore. Switching from any high-end headphone to either of these gives me the immediate impression that I am losing a lot of information, not to mention the underwhelming sound stage. However, I did love these headphones earlier, so I can respect the sentimentality they command, perhaps owing to their vocal performance.

IMG_7654.jpeg

SECTION 2: In-Ear Monitors (IEMs)

With regard to IEMs, I haven't heard too many. Hence, please don't take this as a comprehensive ranking. This is just a ranking of IEMs I have heard. If I have not listed an IEM here, that means I have not heard it. I am way more of a headphone person than an IEM person, so to speak.

1. 64 Audio U12t: This is a safe recommendation in around the $2000 range. Great bass for a BA, probably the best you will hear. Great resolution, stage, imaging, overall a fantastic all-rounder. However, I find the presentation a tad soft, which some call "analog". I just find it soft and can be boring as a result, IMHO. :)

IMG-7995.jpg

2. Final Audio A8000: This is a fantastic IEM but needs a warm source. Some find it bright and it may well sound bright with certain tracks. But has great technicalities and a clarity of presentation that's second to none. The midrange is also rather liquid. Detailed written comparison between the A8000 and the U12t here, and video review here (my first video review ever, forgive mistakes :)).

IMG_5446.jpeg

3. Thieaudio Monarch: This is my favorite IEM, bar none. If I ranked with my heart rather than my mind, this would be number 1. Awesome, awesome Harman 2018 tuning, with an amazing bass shelf. This IEM hits hard and works so well with all genres. I prefer my IEMs bassy while being "neutral" (Harman) tuned, and this just checks all my boxes.

IMG_0031.jpeg

4. Campfire Andromeda 2020: Beautifully liquid IEM with a lovely midrange and treble. The latest tuning of the CA does not have midrange and treble quirks of previous version, and is worth a try. Of course, this is an all-BA IEM so won't hit as hard as IEMs that DD bass. My full video review here.

IMG_8894.jpeg

5. Sony IER M9: A legend in the kilobuck range. Technicalities far surpass the CA 2020, but for me, the presentation is a bit hazy. The bass ought to have come down far earlier than it does. But otherwise, it's an amazing IEM for imaging, detail retrieval, and so forth. All BA, but doesn't sound like one!

IMG_8515.jpeg

6. Dunu SA6: I have only had a brief listen to this, but this is an incredibly impressive IEM. An all-rounder, and the safest recommendation at this price point. I preferred it to the Zen, although the Zen has more physicality. The SA6 has superior treble extension and the right amount of air frequencies, to my ears.

IMG_9538.JPG

7. Dunu Zen: Another great innovation from Dunu. The Zen is a fantastic IEM at its price point. Great DD bass, slam, and overall technical performance. I, however, find the midrange too forward, and the treble extension a bit lacking. Not my favorite tuning.

Disclaimer: I had very brief listens with the SA6 and the Zen, but I am confident that I have a sense of their tuning.

8. Sony IER M7: A more linear presentation than the M9, and to my mind, more reference-tuning. For detailed comparison of the M9 and M7, please check out my YT review here.

IMG_8502.jpeg

9. Dunu DK-3001 Pro: A decent performer at this price range, with good neutral FR, good technicalities. I did find it boring for long listening sessions, however, and I think there are cheaper options that I prefer to the 3001 Pro.

10. Moondrop Blessing 2: Forthcoming.

11. Moondrop Aria 2: Forthcoming.

12. Moondrop Starfield: Forthcoming

Disclaimer: Note this ranking is a work-in-progress as I listen to more and more headphones. Feel free to check out my YouTube reviews here and written reviews here.

Two more photos I like...

0956CA09-D9DB-4627-B0DA-3E9738A0839C.JPG

And my first love, the Susvaras.

IMG-8801.jpg

My thanks to...
@nickdhrubo for the HIFIMAN Susvara, courtesy, Gears for Ears.
@Audio46 for the Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC as well as the Arya, the Diana V2, Final A8000, U12t and several other pieces of gear
Also a big thanks to @TeamHiFiMAN, Bloom Audio, Headphones.com, MusicTek, Moon Audio, Hart Cables for various support and various friends / online acquaintances for discussions and generous sharing of their wisdom, including @GoldenOne, @paradoxper, @donato, @xtr4, @Roasty, @ThanatosVI, @Resolve, @Currawong, @project86, @kmmbd, @jlbrach, @smodtactical, @3ggerhappy, @number1sixerfan, @Ciggavelli, @BassicScience, @MatW, @Andykong[/USER], and @justin w.
Photo credit for the Auteur, Diana V2, Dunu SA6 to @kmmbd and HIFIMAN Sundara to @nickdhrubo
Succinct but informative, well written, and sporting excellent photography. Thanks for this review!

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #81 of 587
Sajid, what are your thoughts on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS as an all in one unit to be used as both the DAC and headphone amp for non-power hungry headphones (eg Focal Stellia, Fostex TH900)… was wondering if you had any experience with this unit?
Excellent DAC and amp for the said phones, my man. Neutral, clean, etc. 🧼

But for more powerful phones, I would recommend a better amp, perhaps a dedicated one? Also, the RME lacks a bit of body with phones that have a thin / bright sound sig, IMO.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #82 of 587
@Sajid Amit do you think you will have the chance to listen to the Stealth (esp. in comparison to the Stellia) anytime soon? I love Stellia‘s sound but am also interested in the Stealth (although the latter won’t work well with DAPs only but needs plenty of juice).
In short (what I read) the Stellia is the more punchy one where the Stealth is always rather polite (but more balanced and open).

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #83 of 587
@Sajid Amit do you think you will have the chance to listen to the Stealth (esp. in comparison to the Stellia) anytime soon? I love Stellia‘s sound but am also interested in the Stealth (although the latter won’t work well with DAPs only but needs plenty of juice).
In short (what I read) the Stellia is the more punchy one where the Stealth is always rather polite (but more balanced and open).
Hey man. I had a very brief stint with the Stealth, and thought the macrodynamics were lacking.

The Stellia is a really nice headphone that does nothing wrong. There is that tactile way of presenting that all Focal HPs have to a greater or less degree, which, I think can sound metallic to some ears, but I personally greatly enjoy it, because the pros of that presentation are significant. Percussion sounds very lifelike.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #84 of 587
Yes, I would love to hear the HE6se V2 (and more so, the original HE6). Not sure if I will get a chance to try the Xelento, but one never knows! :)
I have heard most of the cans you tested. I think the he-6se1 would make the list between 10-15. V2 would rank higher. I think cans such as the 800S and Arya need EQ or heavy modding to be enjoyable in the treble - but thats more a taste thing.

Still a fine effort. Please keep it going!

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #85 of 587
Headphone Impresssions from Recent Travels (Part 1)
By Sajid Amit, Amplify
(Originally published by Audiophile Style)

I recently traveled to India where I was a part of 4 or 5 audiophile meets in two different cities. The largest meet was organized by Sennheiser in Gurgaon at their HQ. And what a wonderful meet-up it was. Other than various Sennheiser headphones, and others audiophiles had brought with them, I got to hear the HE-1!

Orpheus 1.JPG

I also spent some time listening to headphones at Headphone Zone in Mumbai. HPZ is India’s largest audiophile store, to my knowledge, and the flagship headphones they have on display, are quite diverse and impressive.

Rack.JPG

For reference, I personally own the Hifiman Susvara, Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC, Raal SR1a, Stax 009S, and the Focal Stellia, and have the Audeze LCD5 incoming.

What follows are my impressions on all the headphones I listened to on this trip, in no particular order, some for the first time, and others, for the second or third. I also hope to soon update my ranking on the first post here.

So here goes.

Sennheiser IE 900:

The IE900s are really impressive monitors. They were the best IEMs I heard on this trip. What stands out about these monitors is their fast, snappy, detailed, and pretty hard-hitting bass and infinite treble extension, without, for me, ever being bright or sibilant. Also surprising is how good the midrange is on this IEM, despite being a tad recessed. The entire presentation still sounds natural. There is plenty of detail, staging is wide, aided by the V-shaped FR, dynamics are solid, and timbre is pretty good. The only shortcoming worth pointing out is the cable is total janky junk. :)

IE 900.jpg

HIFMAN HE1000 V2:

I didn’t like the HE1000 V2 a lot. I know many love the V2, but to my ears, they were bright and the dynamics reminded me of the Susvara – too polite for my ears. Politeness can be a desirable trait if the entire presentation is like the Susvara’s – smooth, flowing, organic, etc., which can lend itself well to genres like classical, acoustic, jazz, etc. However, I wasn’t sure what genres I would listen to the HEKV2 with. I thought the staging was not noticeably wide or deep; imaging was fine; and detail retrieval was very good, but overall, I wasn’t a fan. It sounded like a brighter, slightly bassier, and a less technically-adept Susvara with those oval caps I never liked, lol. But the owner, a good friend of mine, likes his a lot, so that's what matters. Not my cup of tea.

HFM V2.jpg

FOCAL Stellia:

The Focal Stellia are my current favorite closed-back. I was a fan of the HIFIMAN HE-R10P when I first heard it, probably because it was a reasonable complement to my Susvara, which was my only TOTL headphone at that time. But once I bought the Abyss TC, and got used to it, it made the HE-R10P redundant. Comparing the Stellia to the R10P, the Stellia has a far better tonality. The Stellia's bass is elevated and is great fun; the midrange sounds natural; and the treble is forward without ever being in-your-face, grating, sharp, or peaky.

Stellia 2.JPG

Dynamics are outstanding, as is Focal’s wont. The headphone stages brilliantly for a closedback with great layering and imaging. It, to me, sounds like a flawless headphone, with outstanding aesthetics. The unequivocal weakness is its stock cable which is janky and an area of contention could be its timbre, which can sound metallic in the treble. I quite like it, because percussion instruments sound great, lol. I bet this is the first time someone has made an argument in favor of Focal's (slight?) metallic timbre!

Stellia 1.JPG

Sennheiser HD820:

I was not a fan of this headphone, so I won’t spend too much dwelling on why. It had a nice midrange when you first listen to it and a decent sense of staging and imaging. But there is serious wonkiness in the tonality. It is a muddy-sounding headphone with clear bass bleed and a strange implementation of the presence region, causing it to sound boxy, unclear and congested. It is a classic reminder of how hard it is to build flagship level closed-backs. All the more reason to appreciate the Stellia.

HD820.JPG

The HEDDphone:

HEDD Audio’s headphone was a mixed bag. Yes, it is technically as proficient as people say it is, extremely hard to drive, and ridiculously uncomfortable for long-listening. I didn’t like the implementation of the cups or the yoke or the overall weight. Easily the worst headphone I have tried in terms of comfort. Look at how ridiculous I look with it, lol.

HEDD 2.JPG

However, it is a performance-oriented headphone with an incredible treble that is detailed, silky, and enjoyable, and overall great detail retrieval and good dynamics across the frequency range. Other than its comfort, the HEDDphone has no faults. The midrange can be thin sounding but I know people who like the midrange because it is not overly lush. In sum, if you can deal with the comfort and don't need a lush midrange, it is probably a bargain at MSRP and even more so, at used prices, as the HEDDPhone tends to not hold value in the secondary market.

Stax SR009S:

I have a Stax SR009S incoming, and about to reach me in the next 2 days. I ordered a Stax SR009S and a KGSHHV Carbon because I wanted sufficient time with TOTL e-stats. And I am still hoping that off the Carbon, the 009S will please more than it did off the Stax amp and the Cayin DAC.

Stax 009S.jpg

However, on this setup, the 009S was a rather mixed experience. It sounded smooth like the Susvara with similarities in tonal presentation, but was rather peaky on several tracks. The e-stat timbre is noticeable, which is fine with me – not the most natural sounding – but it’s nice for a change. In fact, estats seldom sound natural, because of a lack of the tactile quality that makes percussion on Stellia sound lifelike despite compromises on timbre. However, the SR009S speed is great, detail retrieval is flagship class (less than the SR1a), and staging and imaging are quite good, and commensurate with the price.

Audeze LCD-2 (Classics) and LCD-3:

I am not a fan of the older LCD headphones. I do have an LCD-5 incoming and I am extremely curious to try the CRBN, but this is inspired by the 2021 tunings of the Audeze LCD-X and the LCD-XC 2021.

As is well-known, the LCD-2 and 3 sound warm, creamy, inviting, with a nice midrange and decent bass, but I find them boring and lackluster after a while. Their technical performance is fine for their respective price points, but I enjoy the macrodynamic quality of a Focal Clear more than what these headphones offer, and the resolution, timbre and staging of the HD800 or an HD800s. The lack of energy in upper midrange, to me, is a serious drawback.

LCD 2 vs LCD 3.JPG

Audeze LCD-XC 2021:

The LCDXC 2021 is an awesome headphone for the price, especially given the closedback use case. That said, I much prefer the Stellia and even the Celeste over it. :)

XC21 1.JPG

However, the reason I call it "awesome" is that it retains the warmth and body of the LCD lineup with a more present upper midrange. The detail retrieval, staging, and imaging are all great for the price, but the Celeste, to me, has better macrodynamics, and overall, a superior tonality to the XC. The Stellia is a clearly better headphone than the XC, but you would expect that at its price point. A/B-ing between the XC and the Stellia, the first thing you notice is the sense of space and layering in the Stellia – very open-back-like.

Stellia vs XC 21.jpg

That’s it for Part 1 of my two part series on headphone, IEM, and amp/DAC impressions. Will post Part 2 in a couple of days with impressions of Focal Celeste, Meze Empyrean, Meze Elite, Sony IER-Z1R, Shure KSE1200, Sennheiser Orpheus HE-1, Sennheier HD800s, and select amps and DACs.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #86 of 587
Headphone Impresssions from Recent Travels (Part 1)
By Sajid Amit, Amplify

I recently traveled to India where I was a part of 4 or 5 audiophile meets in two different cities. The largest meet was organized by Sennheiser in Gurgaon at their HQ. And what a wonderful meet-up it was. Other than various Sennheiser headphones, and others audiophiles had brought with them, I got to hear the HE-1!

Orpheus 1.JPG

I also spent some time listening to headphones at Headphone Zone in Mumbai. HPZ is India’s largest audiophile store, to my knowledge, and the flagship headphones they have on display, is quite diverse and impressive.

Rack.JPG

For reference, I personally own the Hifiman Susvara, Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC, Raal SR1a, Stax 009S, and the Focal Stellia, and have the Audeze LCD5 incoming.

What follows are my impressions on all the headphones I listened to on this trip, in no particular order, some for the first time, and others, for the second or third. I also hope to soon update my ranking on the first post here.

So here goes.

Sennheiser IE 900:

The IE900s are really impressive monitors. They were the best IEMs I heard on this trip. What stands out about these monitors is their fast, snappy, detailed, and pretty hard-hitting bass and infinite treble extension, without, for me, ever being bright or sibilant. Also surprising is how good the midrange is on this IEM, despite being a tad recessed. The entire presentation still sounds natural. There is plenty of detail, staging is wide, aided by the V-shaped FR, dynamics are solid, and timbre is pretty good. The only shortcoming worth pointing out is the cable is total janky junk. :)

IE 900.jpg

HIFMAN HE1000 V2:

I didn’t like the HE1000 V2 a lot. I know many love the V2, but to my ears, they were bright and the dynamics reminded me of the Susvara – too polite for my ears. Politeness can be a desirable trait if the entire presentation is like the Susvara’s – smooth, flowing, organic, etc., which can lend itself well to genres like classical, acoustic, jazz, etc. However, I wasn’t sure what genres I would listen to the HEKV2 with. I thought the staging was not noticeably wide or deep; imaging was fine; and detail retrieval was very good, but overall, I wasn’t a fan. It sounded like a brighter, slightly bassier, and a less technically-adept Susvara with those oval caps I never liked, lol.

HFM V2.jpg

FOCAL Stellia:

The Focal Stellia are my current favorite closed-back. I was a fan of the HIFIMAN HE-R10P when I first heard it, probably because it was a reasonable complement to my Susvara, which was my only TOTL headphone at that time. But once I bought the Abyss TC, and got used to it, it made the HE-R10P redundant. Comparing the Stellia to the R10P, the Stellia has a far better tonality. The Stellia's bass is elevated and is great fun; the midrange sounds natural; and the treble is forward without ever being in-your-face, grating, sharp, or peaky.

Stellia 2.JPG

Dynamics are outstanding, as is Focal’s wont. The headphone stages brilliantly for a closedback with great layering and imaging. It, to me, sounds like a flawless headphone, with outstanding aesthetics. The unequivocal weakness is its stock cable which is janky and an area of contention could be its timbre, which can sound metallic in the treble. I quite like it, because percussion instruments sound great, lol. I bet this is the first time someone has made an argument in favor of Focal's (slight?) metallic timbre!

Stellia 1.JPG

Sennheiser HD820:

I was not a fan of this headphone, so I won’t spend too much dwelling on why. It had a nice midrange when you first listen to it and a decent sense of staging and imaging. But there is serious wonkiness in the tonality. It is a muddy-sounding headphone with clear bass bleed and a strange implementation of the presence region, causing it to sound boxy, unclear and congested. It is a classic reminder of how hard it is to build flagship level closed-backs. All the more reason to appreciate the Stellia.

HD820.JPG

The HEDDphone:

HEDD Audio’s headphone was a mixed bag. Yes, it is technically as proficient as people say it is, extremely hard to drive, and ridiculously uncomfortable for long-listening. I didn’t like the implementation of the cups or the yoke or the overall weight. Easily the worst headphone I have tried in terms of comfort. Look at how ridiculous I look with it, lol.

HEDD 2.JPG

However, it is a technically proficient headphone with an incredible treble that is detailed, silky, and enjoyable, and overall great detail retrieval and good dynamics across the frequency range. Other than its comfort, the HEDDphone has no faults. The midrange can be thin sounding but I know people who like the midrange because it is not overly lush. In sum, if you can deal with the comfort and don't need a lush midrange, it is probably a bargain at MSRP and even more so, at used prices, as the HEDDPhone tends to not hold value in the secondary market.

Stax SR009S:

I have a Stax SR009S incoming, and about to reach me in the next 2 days. I ordered a Stax SR009S and a KGSHHV Carbon because I wanted sufficient time with TOTL e-stats. And I am still hoping that off the Carbon, the 009S will please more than it did off the Stax amp and the Cayin DAC.

Stax 009S.jpg

However, on this setup, the 009S was a rather mixed experience. It sounded smooth like the Susvara with similarities in tonal presentation, but was rather peaky on several tracks. The e-stat timbre is noticeable, which is fine with me – not the most natural sounding – but it’s nice for a change. In fact, estats seldom sound natural, because of a lack of the tactile quality that makes percussion on Stellia sound lifelike despite compromises on timbre. However, the SR009S speed is great, detail retrieval is flagship class (less than the SR1a), and staging and imaging are quite good, and commensurate with the price.

Audeze LCD-2 (Classics) and LCD-3:

I am not a fan of the older LCD headphones. I do have an LCD-5 incoming and I am extremely curious to try the CRBN, but this is inspired by the 2021 tunings of the Audeze LCD-X and the LCD-XC 2021.

As is well-known, the LCD-2 and 3 sound warm, creamy, inviting, with a nice midrange and decent bass, but I find them boring and lackluster after a while. Their technical performance is fine for their respective price points, but I enjoy the macrodynamic quality of a Focal Clear more than what these headphones offer, and the resolution, timbre and staging of the HD800 or an HD800s. The lack of energy in upper midrange, to me, is a serious drawback.

LCD 2 vs LCD 3.JPG

Audeze LCD-XC 2021:

The LCDXC 2021 is an awesome headphone for the price, especially given the closedback use case. That said, I much prefer the Stellia and even the Celeste over it. :)

XC21 1.JPG

However, the reason I call it "awesome" is that it retains the warmth and body of the LCD lineup with a more present upper midrange. The detail retrieval, staging, and imaging are all great for the price, but the Celeste, to me, has better macrodynamics, and overall, a superior tonality to the XC. The Stellia is a clearly better headphone than the XC, but you would expect that at its price point. A/B-ing between the XC and the Stellia, the first thing you notice is the sense of space and layering in the Stellia – very open-back-like.

Stellia vs XC 21.jpg

That’s it for Part 1 of my two part series on headphone, IEM, and amp/DAC impressions. Will post Part 2 in a couple of days with impressions of Focal Celeste, Meze Empyrean, Meze Elite, Sony IER-Z1R, Shure KSE1200, Sennheiser Orpheus HE-1, Sennheier HD800s, and select amps and DACs.
Looking forward to the Meze and He-1 impressions.

As always amazing write up!

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #88 of 587
@Sajid Amit -Looking forward to the HE1 impressions. :relaxed:
Were you able to listen to Focal Utopia at the Headphonezone? :) It being a TOTL, wondering how Stellia compares with the Utopia. :relaxed:
Not at HPZ, Manoj, but the Utopia is excellent as well. More audiophile tuning and less bassy. Funny thing is the Stellia sounds wider than the Utopia, IIRC. Utopia can be slightly more detailed but not by much.

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #90 of 587
Good comparisons. I disagree the HD820 has a wonky tonality, they are very neutral and natural to my ears, listening to them right now actually. I actually liked the Gold Planar AMT headphone better than the HEDDphone and Monolith by Monoprice has a copy (I think) of it coming for $1k which is a great value. You should give that a try. Not too funky looking, but has a much better technical tone to my ears. AMT's will always be hard to drive because of the technology. The Stellia is the headphone to beat in closed backs, that and Dan Clark's Stealths if you want more of the planar sound. The R-10's are way overprice and I thought even the Audeze XC's sounded better. The XC's are probably the best closed back value you can get.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back