Amplifier With Excellent Imaging
Jan 17, 2010 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

denwenz

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a headphone amplifier with excellent soundstaging/imaging characteristics. Currently I own a Standard Earmax amplifier with Sennihenser 600 phones. What I am aware of with this combo is imaging between my ears, but also sounds that seems to be located and coming from my headphones. This may be a characteristic of all headphone combos. However, my goal would be to find a headphone combo that images similar to a standard amplifier/floor standing speakers where the imaging appears between the speakers and not stuck in the speakers themselves. Are there such headphone amplifiers where the imaging appears between the headphones, and not stuck in the headphones? Thanks

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 7
The question is how much money do you have to spend on the amp? SPL Phonitor with its speaker angles and crossfeed is the amp that fits the description the best. Or you could buy good source with good crossfeed and some other amp.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 7
I found with my amp that going balanced with my headphones improved things considerably in that regard, however it depends on how the recording was done as to the kind of imaging you get. That being said, you don't usually get much front-to-back with headphones unless you own something like AKG K1000s or possibly HD-800s to some degree.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Ultrasone for example have displaced drivers and actually redirect audio behind your ears so they are both front and back. worked great with the Pro 750 even better then the 900. Center channel just as accurate as the center channel on my 5.1 system. Ed 8 a step back though but probably due to their isolation and small size I suppose
frown.gif

my experience with angled drivers like HD 800 uses is that you get more of a front presentation but not always that much in surround.

As for amps on a budget the Canamp is a good choice certainly. Compared very favourly on the Slee Solo but that didn´t have much of a soundstage. Nostalgia can be bad though but I wonder if it´s not better then my Goldpoint headphone Pro as well in regard of depth. Though that one is in a league on it´s own compared to the other two and I have my 5.1 speakers that I may want to use once in a while lol

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 7
What you really want is an AKG K-1000. An amplifier cannot change the fundamemtal nature of headphones.

The Sennheiser HD-800 images better because of the angled drivers. There's a Stax model or two with the same trick and I think the Beyerdynamic T1 does the same.

But nothing beats the K-1000 for tricking you into thinking that you're listening to speakers. Or you could try speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you've never heard dipoles, give them a try some time. I think you'd be impressed.

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Hehe because they are ear-speakers
biggrin.gif
Look very strange but will sound very, very good. I'd love to try one some day and see how it really sounds. Wouldn't it be impossible to listen with a bit of ambient noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back