Amplifier or portable Dac, do I need one?
Jun 22, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #62 of 76
Like the multiple other threads they have opened...
images.jpeg

:p

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #63 of 76
The goal is to simply enjoy music. It’s a challenge at times, but even $19 IEMs and your favorite music on a phone provide a profound musical experience. It’s all about training your brain to focus.

Most of my day is spent actually listening to music on a very moderate iPod and JBL IEM budget system.

It’s all about getting into the music. In the end it does not matter how much or what special type of musical system a person has. This hobby is much more dependent on attitude than anything; a persons attitude towards music.

The reason I know this comes from years of owning nothing but budget-fi gear!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #64 of 76
The goal is to simply enjoy music. It’s a challenge at times, but even $19 IEMs and your favorite music on a phone provide a profound musical experience. It’s all about training your brain to focus.

Most of my day is spent actually listening to music on a very moderate iPod and JVC IEM budget system.

It’s all about getting into the music. In the end it does not matter how much or what special type of musical system a person has. This hobby is much more dependent on attitude than anything; a persons attitude towards music.

Very true, I can get enjoyment out of the Edifier P281, or the Final E2000/E3000 and a small shanling M0. Perfectly acceptable sound quality on a small budget.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #65 of 76

Most of my day is spent actually listening to music on a very moderate iPod and JVC IEM budget system.

Yes of course, I still enjoy the music, but from time to time I felt that something was missing and then I decided to look for better options in videos, blogs and forums and reading the comments I realized how bad my headphone was because they said things that I had never heard before and talked about other electronics that complement the headphone and that I did not even know existed, things like sound stage, types of drivers, amplifier for headphones of various types, dacs and their chips ... And then it started my search for the perfect system, or at least what my money could buy, and since then the life of some members here on the site has never been the same or mine because I have won a grandfather (@buke9), a teacher (@ProtegeManiac) and a stalker (@Oscar-HiFi), and you want you can become my BBF. :ksc75smile:

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #66 of 76
I agree with you.

I like to think of it as different levels of audio information. Today I was listening to really old KZ IEMs which were a big deal here in 2015-2016.

And..........somehow if we’re only able to access certain sounds, we would not even know more clarity in audio existed. Thus.....like they say......there could be times when after hearing an IEM, it messes up any respect for lower tier models.

In 2015 I was fascinated by the KZ sound. Though now after getting other different IEMs (with prices all over the road) I am able to judge them better. They are nice but now sound a little soft? I still understand why people like them, but with listening experience you really start to realize the tier system in place.

But in argument to this concept, in time your brain can still adapt to a signature of a headphone, defects, issues and all. Still it takes time.

There is now way to completely underestimate what occurs after you spend a large amount of time with one single audio system. Maybe not using a really crappy one, but a system with moderate cost and prowess.

After a while the system falls away and our minds are left only hearing music. This is because if you change systems fast your brain notices differences. Somehow our thinking process is made to notice changes.

But if you continue to listen your brain starts to adapt and fill in the audio discrepancies.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #67 of 76
I agree with you.

I like to think of it as different levels of audio information. Today I was listening to really old KZ IEMs which were a big deal here in 2015-2016.

And..........somehow if we’re only able to access certain sounds, we would not even know more clarity in audio existed. Thus.....like they say......there could be times when after hearing an IEM, it messes up any respect for lower tier models.

In 2015 I was fascinated by the KZ sound. Though now after getting other different IEMs (with prices all over the road) I am able to judge them better. They are nice but now sound a little soft? I still understand why people like them, but with listening experience you really start to realize the tier system in place.

But in argument to this concept, in time your brain can still adapt to a signature of a headphone, defects, issues and all. Still it takes time.

There is now way to completely underestimate what occurs after you spend a large amount of time with one single audio system. Maybe not using a really crappy one, but a system with moderate cost and prowess.

After a while the system falls away and our minds are left only hearing music. This is because if you change systems fast your brain notices differences. Somehow our thinking process is made to notice changes.

But if you continue to listen your brain starts to adapt and fill in the audio discrepancies.
Agree with this . If you listen to only one headphone or earphone exclusively your brain will lock you into it more or less. It takes at least a week listening to some thing different to change your brain on a different signature. We have likes and dislikes that are harder to change but listening to one headphone for 3 or 4 years it is tough to change for some.

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #68 of 76
Yes of course, I still enjoy the music, but from time to time I felt that something was missing and then I decided to look for better options in videos, blogs and forums and reading the comments I realized how bad my headphone was because they said things that I had never heard before and talked about other electronics that complement the headphone and that I did not even know existed, things like sound stage, types of drivers, amplifier for headphones of various types, dacs and their chips...

It would be better if you can hear the difference using demos or borrowed gear first that way you can gauge whether the price of that set up is enough for you to risk your money on. If you're expecting one headphone to sound like a completely different headphone just from blowing money on a better amp, you'll just come back and tell everyone who said that having clearer percussion hits or less splashy cymbals etc that you can't actually hear the difference in are delusional and they made you spend your money needlessly.

Jun 23, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #69 of 76
It would be better if you can hear the difference using demos or borrowed gear first that way you can gauge whether the price of that set up is enough for you to risk your money on. If you're expecting one headphone to sound like a completely different headphone just from blowing money on a better amp, you'll just come back and tell everyone who said that having clearer percussion hits or less splashy cymbals etc that you can't actually hear the difference in are delusional and they made you spend your money needlessly.
Arcano Arc-Shp80, this is my headphone that is driven by a realtek of the worst quality. So when comparing this with a HD6XX, Magni 3 and a dedicated dac I'm absolutely sure it will be a difference between night and day, even though I have never heard any of those I mentioned.

Jun 23, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #70 of 76
Like I said, much of this is knowing yourself. But it’s a catch 22 because you can’t really know yourself till you expose your hearing to different tones.

And........this can take years. It’s the reason you see so much used gear for sale as people are searching. I found out I was not so much of a bass head but actually liked forward lower midrange. I would get these cheap sports IEMs with limited highs, but the lower midrange made $20 IEMs totally fun.

But what happened was there was more to learn......it turns out that you can still have those pronounced lower midrange tones and mix it with a super detailed and extended bass response. Now with more detail in the lower area the bass is actually not a thud, but a subtle fast acting and at times ghost like tone.

What happens with better gear at times is you can get your sound signature but also get better detail and of course it improves everything!

But both treble heads and bass heads can fall for the same emotional purchase. If the IEM or headphones exstends this treble detail a treble head just buys it. Same with bass heads getting emotional when they find their response profile. Later though both can get board due to the non-flat signature leaving information out due to excessively used color.

I’ve paid way too much for some cheap IEMs just because they had a warm lower mid.

And because of this you have your audiophile flat response camp. They basicly believe that flat has the easiest and most acceptable way to go. Funny too though as there are a bunch of different headphones which people all call flat but they all sound a little different.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #71 of 76
Arcano Arc-Shp80, this is my headphone that is driven by a realtek of the worst quality. So when comparing this with a HD6XX, Magni 3 and a dedicated dac I'm absolutely sure it will be a difference between night and day, even though I have never heard any of those I mentioned.

As long as you're sure for yourself. If at least even when it turns out wrong, at the very least you can't say we goaded you into blowing your money and spending as much time and effort as you would have to acquiring the gear.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #72 of 76
As long as you're sure for yourself. If at least even when it turns out wrong, at the very least you can't say we goaded you into blowing your money and spending as much time and effort as you would have to acquiring the gear.
Rest assured, no one encouraged me to make that choice, I mean, that choice seems to be common sense since virtually every audiophile has, owned, or will own some Sennheiser HD 600 series. The magni 3 seems to be the most obvious choice as well , it is cheap, powerful and matches all headphones for what I read. Already the dac will be one of JDS Labs that is known for designing equipment that seeks neutrality, so ... Well, I think these are a good choice for those looking for equipment that are good and that meet most musical genres.

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #73 of 76
Hey, guys, all right? Well, I would like to improve the sound of my smartphone that sucks, of course I do not expect an amplifier or a dac to do more miracles if they can improve by 30% maybe leaving the sound a little cleaner and clearer already good. I was even taking a look at some electronics and two of them caught my attention, JDS Labs cMoyBB and FiiO Q1, but I'd like to know more about how a portable amplifier or dac in this price range could influence sound, and also if one is more important than the other. Oh, and before anyone says, yes I know the headphone is the most important, and also intend to have a hi-end level ...... Well that's it, I'm waiting for your answers. Thank you. :L3000:

All things should sound pretty similar EXCEPT for two cases.

1. There is noise that shouldn't be there.
2. You are plugging headphones with low impedance into something with high output impedance.

Check the impedance of your headphones. The output impedance of your source should be less than 1/5 of this.
If it is not, get something else as this will affect the frequency response of your headphones, and usually not in a good way.

Do you hear noise that shouldn't be there, like buzzing, humming, etc?
If so, get something with a darker background, i.e. better noise rejection.

Going from a cheap source without these issues to a super fancy source will only provide small benefits like slightly louder sub-bass and almost inaudible improvements in accuracy and separation of channels.

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #74 of 76
All things should sound pretty similar EXCEPT for two cases.

1. There is noise that shouldn't be there.
2. You are plugging headphones with low impedance into something with high output impedance.

Check the impedance of your headphones. The output impedance of your source should be less than 1/5 of this.
If it is not, get something else as this will affect the frequency response of your headphones, and usually not in a good way.

Do you hear noise that shouldn't be there, like buzzing, humming, etc?
If so, get something with a darker background, i.e. better noise rejection.

Going from a cheap source without these issues to a super fancy source will only provide small benefits like slightly louder sub-bass and almost inaudible improvements in accuracy and separation of channels.
With source you mean the amplifier and its output impedance? Because if it is then the impedance must be at least 8 times lower than the headphone so I have already been told. Or do you mean the dac?

But as for the sound I do not hear any buzz, but I think the sound gets very distorted to my liking, and that's where the amp / dac comes in, to make the sound cleaner.

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #75 of 76
With source you mean the amplifier and its output impedance? Because if it is then the impedance must be at least 8 times lower than the headphone so I have already been told. Or do you mean the dac?

But as for the sound I do not hear any buzz, but I think the sound gets very distorted to my liking, and that's where the amp / dac comes in, to make the sound cleaner.

The amplifier. I guess it just doesn't have enough power to drive whatever you're trying to drive, but usually the problem with this is that you just can't get enough volume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back