Amplifier for my Ipod and Senheisser HD555 headphones
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Reagan0mics

New Head-Fier
Okay so I have a classic 80gb Ipod (I believe it's generation 5.5). I have Senheisser HD555 headphones.

I'm looking for an amplifier to improve the sound quality of my Ipod. I posted in the full size headphone amp forum but I'm getting no answers so hopefully I'll get some replies here.

So far I've looked into 2 products I'm sure you guys are familiar with.

FiiO E5 and the FiiO E7. 

Now the FiiO E5 is an amplifier and the E7 is an amplifier and a DAC. What exactly does that mean? Also I'm not very good with technology, so if you are to answer this question, please explain this answer to me in a way that I can understand (Like for example I hear that it improves the signal of your headphones to your ipod, but what exactly does that mean? Does that mean higher sound quality, etc, etc?)

Should I get an amplifier at all, or are my headphones not good enough and I wouldn't notice that big of a difference? Or would I notice a difference? Would you reccommend either one of these products for me?

Also, I already know that if I buy one of these products, I'm also going to buy an LOD. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 3
The Fiio E7 amp/dac You could use for portable use as well as computer hookup, The E5 is for portable use and You could look into the PA2V2 amp for portable use also, You'll see that on EBAY up for auction (bid's) a good amp & Gary who build's them and sell's them is top notch! 
L3000.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 3
As someone who owns both of these products I'd advise you to steer clear of the E7.  Its nice for a while, but it started generating a lot of static, I think on the DAC side.  If you're willing to spend the money on an E7 and its for an iPod then I'd recommend finding something that has a set of opamps that work well with the HD 555's and no DAC.  My experience was that it was cheap and there was not much of an appreciable difference in quality over my computer.  I have an audinst mx1 that I bought as a DAC for my computer.  I have nothing but good things to say about the audinst, its small and packs a punch.  The opamps are quality and and I know what they are.  the e7 is this powerpad thing, and so when something happens to it, its pretty much done.  I noticed greater stereo seperation with the e7 over the e5, but really other than that, I think that the e5 is a better choice (between the two) because it is ALOT more portable than the e7.  The e7 is small but it takes up pocket space when you're walking around, and putting your ipod in your bag isn't always as convenient as you think it might be (this is my experience.)  Anyway, I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back