Amplifier for bookshelf speakers?
Feb 4, 2011 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Greg121986

100+ Head-Fier
I have an Audio-GD NFB-12 shipping in the next few weeks and I think I will be satisfied with that for my headphones, Sennheiser HD595s. I have been considering getting a tube amp for the headphones such as a Little Dot MK IV, VI SE or VIII SE. However, I would rather spend that money on an amp that will power some desktop speakers directly, as fed from the NFB-12 DAC. I don't want to spend the money on the headphone amp only to be forced to buy another power amp for the speakers.

So what I really want to know is this, is there a tube headphone amplifier that can power bookshelf speakers directly? If there is not, what power amplifier would be good to use from my NFB-12 DAC to power some bookshelf speakers? The speakers I am considering are B&W 685, and almost everything listed on http://www.theaudioinsider.com/ My price cap for the amp is $1000 and I would really like it to be a tube amp. I know this is going to be a big stretch.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 9
B&W 685 are not very efficient (88dB).

There aren't many headphone amps that would drive those, especially if you want a tube amp.  Most pure tube amps are really not meant for more than a few watts, especially at that budget.

Personally, I'd recommend separate amps as you're setting quite a difficult restriction on yourself.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 9
A $1000 dollar amp for $650 speakers isn't so absurd. The 685s supposedly sound amazing for their price, so his money allocation seems fair to me.

If you can swing an extra $200, the Peachtree Nova is supposed to be an amazing integrated. It has a tube buffer in the pre-amp to soften and warm the sound a little. At 80wpc, its got plenty of power for the B&W speakers. So, you get some of the tube sound and the power for your speakers. The integrated DAC is excellent as well. I'm sure the headphone amp is just fine. Here's a review:

http://www.tonepublications.com/gear/the-peachtree-nova-2/

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 9
I'd look for just a power amp, if you want tubes. Under $1,000, try one of the old Dynaco ST70 amps or a 1980s Conrad-Johnson running EL34s. My general-purpose tube power amp is a Conrad-Johnson MV52 that I think I paid around $700 for. Sweet little amp and it sounds marvelous with my Quads and ProAc clones.

Then try to find an older tube preamp that has a tape/line out. You can hook a headphone amp to the line out and switch easily between speakers and headphones, not to mention being able to add several sources to the preamp. A setup like that would give you lots of flexibility for the future. You'll be able to switch up headphone amps, add a turntable, be able to power floorstanders, and much else. Otherwise, you can paint yourself into a corner where you won't be able to upgrade or try something new without having to buy a lot of components. Also, it seems that individual components hold value much better than all-in-one wonderboxes.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 9
   I'd take and listen to Uncle Erik's advice........I have in my Extra equipment storage 1-  Dynaco 70 amp, It works but might need going through, caps resistors.. I've changed the rca outs and put in 5 way speaker binding post........I also have 1- Golden tube SE 40 amp they were the amp to have for under 1000.00 in the late 90's  1996 -1999 then the guy flew the coop, he was out of California........It works fine but weights a ton to ship..they go for about $500 to $550 plus shipping, on Audiogon..... Hey EC, What was the Dynaco Integrated amp that was so highly valued for their transformers and sound? Was it The Dynaco 35......?????EL 84s maybe.........good luck and keep looking.....

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I have an Audio-GD NFB-12 shipping in the next few weeks and I think I will be satisfied with that for my headphones, Sennheiser HD595s. I have been considering getting a tube amp for the headphones such as a Little Dot MK IV, VI SE or VIII SE. However, I would rather spend that money on an amp that will power some desktop speakers directly, as fed from the NFB-12 DAC. I don't want to spend the money on the headphone amp only to be forced to buy another power amp for the speakers.

So what I really want to know is this, is there a tube headphone amplifier that can power bookshelf speakers directly? If there is not, what power amplifier would be good to use from my NFB-12 DAC to power some bookshelf speakers? The speakers I am considering are B&W 685, and almost everything listed on http://www.theaudioinsider.com/ My price cap for the amp is $1000 and I would really like it to be a tube amp. I know this is going to be a big stretch.

No headphone amp can power those speakers; even the most powerful headphone amp might not even have speaker binding posts, much less enough power (Schiit Lyr). The NFB12 has a preamp output, right? If so, use a poweramp for the speakers and use the NFB12 to drive headphones. I suppose it can even do well enough for a headphone upgrade, ie, HD600, K601/701/702, etc. Then if you feel like it later on get a Little Dot tube amp with a preamp output, then try using it to control the poweramps too, and you can decide on the best combination. I haven't heard this on B&Ws but you could try getting used Muse poweramps, like the Model 150. BTW, my NAD304 was surprisingly sure-footed on the 5-driver 3-way of that series. Nothing special, but it wasn't boring either; decent punch and fast sound. I did, however, replace the power cord to an IEC jack (old plug was loose) and used 8ga cables, plus I replaced the steel jumpers with a custom, short interconnect. On my Wharfedale Pi10 the stock was leaning towards boring but well controlled; sounded livelier after the upgrades. Didn't get to hear it on B&W's before the upgrades.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm not sure I can understand your logic.
Why would you buy a 200$ DAC/amp combo if you want a separate, more expensive, headphone amplifier?
Why not invest in a standalone, superior, DAC in the first place, or at least a better DAC/amp ?

Also why would you choose this route for a headphone like HD595, which benefits very little from further amplification (compared to NFB-12's own).

And once you would have done that why complicate your life even further with the wrong speakers ?

There are a lot of active speakers within your budget that would put those B&W to shame. In such a case you would only need the NFB-12, functioning as DAC and preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back