Amplifier and DAC recommendation for DT990 600ohm with a $700 budget
Dec 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ragequit

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I recently purchased an DT990, and am fairly new to power hungry headphones/amps/DACs

I'm looking for an OTL amplifier, preferably one that is able to power other headphones I may purchase in the future without hesitation. I would prefer the Amp and DAC be seperate, if possible.

Currently, I want to press the trigger on the Schiit Valhalla + Bifrost Uber w/ USB Gen 2. However it's coming to $850 after the upgrades on the DAC. I'm wondering if there are other Amp/DAC combo's that could give more bang for buck in the $850-$650 range before I commit to the Schiit.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hello!

I recently purchased an DT990, and am fairly new to power hungry headphones/amps/DACs

I'm looking for an OTL amplifier, preferably one that is able to power other headphones I may purchase in the future without hesitation. I would prefer the Amp and DAC be seperate, if possible.

Currently, I want to press the trigger on the Schiit Valhalla + Bifrost Uber w/ USB Gen 2. However it's coming to $850 after the upgrades on the DAC. I'm wondering if there are other Amp/DAC combo's that could give more bang for buck in the $850-$650 range before I commit to the Schiit.

For the DT990, you might be over spending for a DAC/Amp.
I would suggest getting a Bravo Ocean tube amplifier ($120).
DAC?
Is this for a Win PC setup?
Is the setup just for music? or movies? or gaming?

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 4
  For the DT990, you might be over spending for a DAC/Amp.
I would suggest getting a Bravo Ocean tube amplifier ($120).
DAC?
Is this for a Win PC setup?
Is the setup just for music? or movies? or gaming?

I took a quick glance of the reviews on the Bravo Ocean amp, unfortunately it seems to  be not ideal electronic dance music.

As for my setup, it's a Win PC where the use would be roughly 70% music, 25% movies/tv, and 5% gaming.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 4
  I took a quick glance of the reviews on the Bravo Ocean amp, unfortunately it seems to  be not ideal electronic dance music.

As for my setup, it's a Win PC where the use would be roughly 70% music, 25% movies/tv, and 5% gaming.

For the amount of cash your willing to spend on an audio setup, I would assume you would want to spend a lot more on headphones.

If you were willing to not get tube and go solid state, there is the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/amp, $255+shipping.
Dual DAC chips and an amplifier that can easily drive 600-Ohm headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back