Amping the Grado 325i: pa2v2 or mini^3?
Oct 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sleepwalker

New Head-Fier
Hey guys & gals. I've been lurking here for over a year but rarely post.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced portable amp. I've decided to jump the CMOYs and look into one of a Gary's pav2v or a mini^3.

In favor of the pav2v, I find Gary's reputation, the quality build, and the rechargeable feature of the amp.

In favor of the mini^3, people seem to say it has the better sonic qualities.

What I have yet to read is which would have the best synergy with my 325i phones.

Thank you!

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 5
I too, am interested. It seems that high current output amps, like the ones listed, are much more suited for low impedance phones like grados. The question is, which one is better?

My bet is on the pav2v, not sure about sound quality, but it has crazy battery life (100 hours, I think)

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 5
I have never tried the PA2v2 myself, but I can confidently say that my SR325i sounded great with the Mini3. It is clean sounding and the bass packs a good punch. When I had the JDS CMOY, I found the Mini3's sound quality to be much better (cleaner sound and better separation). Although I don't know how it stacks up against PA2V2, I'm quite confident that you'll be very satisfied pairing it with the Mini3.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks to both of you already. I love the community here at Head-Fi.

I've heard talk of asking your amp-maker to set the gain on the amp to a level that is most beneficial to your commonly used headphones. I know some have a easy-to-reach switch, but that doesn't seem to be common. Is there a recommended gain setting on either of these amps?

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 5
You should ask the amp maker what he recommends based on your primary headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back