Amping my Grado GS1000i +DAC 600$ limit
Oct 2, 2009 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RayfromTX

Head-Fier
I own a new pair of Grado GS1Ki headphones that I am loving. Right now I am just using the headphone out on my Anthem AVM30 along with it's internal DAC.

I will be using these most often in my office/game room. In there I will be stuck with a Yamaha Rxv540 receiver. At that point, I'm really going to need a good amp and DAC. I could also benefit from one with the AVM30 but first things first.

I have auditioned a Music Hall DAC 25.2, but the amp leaves me wanting more. I've been considering a Woo WA6. I tried a Grado amp and it was pretty terrible.

I'd appreciate any guidance on how best to approach this. I'd like to limit the cost to 600$ but not at the cost of getting enough to be satisfied for many years.

I listen to 80% rock, blues, folk and 20% classical.

Thanks for any help with this.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 13
$600 Limit? Thats what credit cards are for! Sell some old crap on ebay. Everybody has some old crap.....Sorry, probably not much help
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 13
I would go with a really good tube amp (I personally would stay away from the Chinese amps).

My Grado RS1s sound heavenly with my Mapletree Ear+HD headphone amp ($680 new). This is a really great amp that can power Grados as well as anything I've every heard and also Sennheisers/Beyerdynamics/AKG.

Welcome to Mapletree Audio Design

Honestly have a look...top notch!

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 13
Man with these cans i would certainly recommend going tubes.
You need to make sure also has to be SET amp, wich suits the Grados.
Personally i have the Cary Xciter which is totally mind blowing for the GS1000
But you dont have that amount of cash, then you would not be doing yourself a disfavour if you opted for a Woo Audio 6 either.
These are awesome cans==match them right and they will be a delight.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks a lot.
How about a Woo WA6 upgraded with the PDPS power supply and the Sophia tube. If I go that route, then I will want a DAC to mate with this setup. Any suggestions there? My budget is going up I guess.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 13
Whoa
Now I'm looking at the Woo WA2 and the Dacmagic.
Where does it end?

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RayfromTX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot.
How about a Woo WA6 upgraded with the PDPS power supply and the Sophia tube. If I go that route, then I will want a DAC to mate with this setup. Any suggestions there? My budget is going up I guess.

I use my GS1000s (with Black Dragon cable) with a Woo 6 SE maxed and it is an awesome combination.

Definitely worth an audition.

Simon

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 13
I've been reading and searching and now I'm leaning to the Woo 6 SE almost maxed. I'll keep looking at DACs for now. The cost of all this is way more than I first imagined but the more I listen to these gs1000i phones the more they seem to be deserving. I love these things. I may never come out of my office.

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks everybody. I bought the woo6se maxed out. I'm probably going with the dacmagic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back