Amphora Headphone Amp Impressions
Apr 7, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #76 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm cool with what ever you guys would like to do. Just as long it gets to my house by September. If one of you guys are going to make it out to Can Jam, take my amp along for the ride.

I'm also thinking you may want to have mrarroyo send yours out to Skylab after he is tired of it. (like that will ever happen
tongue.gif
)

I have it all boxed up and will do a shipping label soon...

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #77 of 307
That's a good idea, I bought my iQube after reading Skylab's review. If mrarroyo and Skylab would like to work something out, I'm perfectly content having the amp sent to Skylab after mrarroyo is done with it.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #78 of 307
WOW!

I just tried my 600 ohm AKG K240M at Ken's suggestion, and they sound really good on the Amphora. The K240M tend to be picky about the amp used, and some amps just don't have the warmth or power they need. Usually my favorite amp for them is my maxed Woo WA6, but I still didn't use the AKG much lately. Now I'm not so sure why that is. True, the 240M don't have the slamming bass of the D2000 or Edition 9, but the bass is at least as strong as the RS-1.

Typically few portable amps are appropriate for the K240M in terms of driving power or sound signature; although the TTVJ portable Millett hybrid was a good match sonically, and the power was just enough to keep me happy. The Pico and Vivid V1 (AD8397 based portable amps) also have enough power to sound loud enough with them, but are still not as pleasing as the TTVJ or the Amphora with them. (the TTVJ went away with my woodied re-cabled HF-1 as partial trade for Stax O2 Mk1 last week, so I can't compare it to the Amphora this time around)

So, the Amphora is really good with the 600 Ohm K240M and plays as loud as the most powerful portables, while having a good balance of warmth and clarity. I don't listen to very loud music, and my normal listening volume with the Amphora and iMod is with the Goldpoint at 3-4 o'clock in high gain. I can max the volume knob at 5:30 o'clock (4 clicks past 3 o'clock) and it is a little louder than I usually listen to music.

This little experiment was a pleasant surprise.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #79 of 307
UPDATE: I had to find a 9v battery for the Meier 3MOVE to test it with the K240M. Then I plugged the 3MOVE into the Amphora pre-amp out, and found that it also sounds very good with the K240M and iMod, and can play a little louder than the Amphora. But I wasn't sure that was a good thing in this case.

At louder volumes the pianos through the 3MOVE were not as refined as the Amphora, and sometimes more piercing, and the sound would become edgier at volumes louder than the Amphora can play. Not only did the Amphora sound a little more refined, there was also slightly less space and transparency with the 3MOVE, although also the "slightest possible hint of maybe something like 1dB more bass". Similar to what I found with the P-51 Mustang, the 3MOVE via iMod and portable Vcap dock didn't sound as good as the Amphora with iMod, nor as good as the 3MOVE driven by the Amphora preamp out. This is as much as I could tell with just 20 minutes of listening to the K240M with them.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #80 of 307
I know this is a crazy idea but I have been reading this thread and wondering about something. I, like everyone else here, have been wanting to purchase the HD800 and if I do this I won't be able to afford a high-end amp and DAC. Do you think that the HD800 will sound good straight out of the Amphora using my iPod as a source?

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #81 of 307
I am already getting an Amphora to review - hope to have it in a couple weeks
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #82 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Ok then. Looks like mrarroyo will have a lot of quality time with my amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #83 of 307
Quote:

wink.gif

What headphones will you review it with?

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #84 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones will you review it with?

The JVC DX1000, and my trio of 600 ohm Beyers - DT770/880/990. Will also try the AKG K340.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #85 of 307
Quote:

The JVC DX1000, and my trio of 600 ohm Beyers - DT770/880/990. Will also try the AKG K340.

Would you like to borrow my Lawton Woodied APS V2 cabled D2000 for your review? I still have your address.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #87 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you like to borrow my Lawton Woodied APS V2 cabled D2000 for your review? I still have your address.

Thanks for the generous offer, but I will pass - I insist on only using headphones that I know really, really well when I review amps. I like to change just one variable at a time
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #88 of 307
Quote:

Thanks for the generous offer, but I will pass - I insist on only using headphones that I know really, really well when I review amps. I like to change just one variable at a time
wink.gif

Skylab,

Thank you for taking a listen! really looking to your thoughts and impressions. Hold on and I will get you the amp out to you soon.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 9, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #89 of 307
Quote:

wink.gif

Okay. They would be similar to the D5000 you had, and I like them a little better than the MD5000DE you tried because of the lack of (or significantly less) cupped hands coloration, but I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back