Amphora Headphone Amp Impressions
Nov 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #301 of 307
This is so true.  At the Atlanta HeadFi meet this year I got to hear some wonderful amps, but none surpassed the Amphora to my ears.  

Quote:
Hey Now,

I just purchased a used Amphora (#019) in Paduak and it is stunning. It sounds breathtaking. The emotional connection to the music is so ever present now. Thanks Ken and Vinnie.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #302 of 307
Guys, I posted yesterday in 'portable amps', but the thread seems to have disappeared : when did Ken stop making/offering the Amphora for sale ? I was away from HF for a few months - when I returned the amp seemed to have gone from 'the reference against which I judge everything under $1000' to some sort of HF void.

Tks,

estreeter

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #303 of 307

Quote:
Guys, I posted yesterday in 'portable amps', but the thread seems to have disappeared : when did Ken stop making/offering the Amphora for sale ? I was away from HF for a few months - when I returned the amp seemed to have gone from 'the reference against which I judge everything under $1000' to some sort of HF void.

Tks,

estreeter

I thought Ken was still offering these as special order items, and once all 100 of the normal version were sold there would still be a few of the SE versions.  I still have and use mine regularly, after all this time.

The only change I have in my impressions is that with some of my low impedance full size phones that need a lot of current, that those phones could be more demanding than what the amp can supply.  For example, the HE-5 LE and LA7000 have better bass control with my other amps such as WA6, SAC KH1000, EF5 or HDP.  The Amphora voltage swing is enough to enjoy the HD600 and HD800 with it, and my HF-2 and LCD-2 seem to be much less demanding for current delivery than the HE-5 LE or LA7000.  The LA7000 in other aspects sounds great with the Amphora, but the bass becomes slightly "one-note" on very fast bass lines.  This cleans up with other amps, although it wasn't very obvious to me until Asr pointed it out.  I still would not pick this amp to drive an HiFiMan orthodynamic, but the Denon are still very enjoyable with great sound signature synergy.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #304 of 307
Thanks Larry - the highest impedance of any of my phones is 55 ohms (!)  - Soundmagic PL50s - although I recognise that isnt the sole criteria for 'driving a headphone'. If Audio-Technica can make something as good as the AD900 with an impedance of 35 ohms, and Denon can do it with a mere 25, I just dont know why we need 600-ohm (dynamic) headphones - I wont even mention what Grado can do with 32 ohms :)

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #305 of 307
Use mine on a regular basis.

Would recommend any of Ken and Vinnie's products, any day.
Anyone experiencing an increased excitement of 4 hours or more should contact their local music doctor, immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back