Amp3
Oct 6, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #1,442 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone show me a link to where I can buy a 32Gb microSD card? Thanks.

Good point, there still aren't any on the market yet. I keep forgetting.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #1,443 of 2,090
I think that i really need to sit and do some real a/b testing on both versions of the amp3. Of course now that i really wanna sit down and listen, i am crazy busy. But i will post as soon as i can.

Right now i am using the amp3 version 5.31 with my PK1 and they sound amazing. I tried a quick a/b with say(all i need) by one republic. The newer version is definitely more enjoyable to listen to. It sounds like a little more detailed but much more musical. I would put it like this, listening to the version 5.26 is like reading a textbook while the new version is like reading a novel.

Both reading but different presentations. I still haven't got a chance to listen to both amp3 regular playback. As my dads amp3 has none of my kind of music on it lol. But i guess that gives me something to do for the next couple of nights. My impressions are all over the place but i am using different headphones and listening to different cds so thats probably why.

The amp3 has great synergy with the PK1 it is a real treat to listen to that pairing.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #1,445 of 2,090
Oct 6, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #1,449 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Santa Claus i want a Pro 2 for Xmas =X

I promise ill do a review for it.

LOL

LOL...Oh there will be a bunch of reviews I'm sure!

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #1,451 of 2,090
Just got my AMP3 in the mail. Already trying it out with my shure scl4 (as well as the included paa-1) and it sounds great. It sounds on the bright side but I'll say more on that when I get home and listen with my se530. There is some hiss but not enough to bother me, I don't know if it is less than the pro1 or not. Works just fine with my 16gb microsd card filled with 13gb (of 14.8 total space available). Going to find out the total amount I can fit on there tonight. Initialization took about a minute.

The buttons work fine but you have to press firmly or sometimes the press won't register. Browsing by artist there is a slight lag going to the next three but only a fraction of a second so I suspect this is improved over the pro1 from what I have read.

I will try to compare to my only other amp (iBasso D3) later.

Update: I'm listening with my se530 now and it's definitely somewhat cold and bright (compared to my D3), but not as much as I thought it would be from reading pro1 reviews. I think it actually complements the warm sounding shures quite well. I'm gonna let it burn in for a few days before saying anything more.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #1,452 of 2,090
acolyte289, looking forward to your impressions, especially vs. the iBasso D3. The pro1 needed about 200 hours for the brightness to subside and about 400-600 hours to get to it's final, fantastic sound.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #1,453 of 2,090
I got my Pro2 today also. I think it is quite neutral(audiophile neutral), not really that bright. Then again just a few 320 bitrate MP3's to try it out. It does give back the treble extension other player lose which might give the impression of bright. We might have different definitions of bright though. It seems to me to stop just before the bright line and for some of my phones I might need a bit more(accomplished by changing tips). For example the G2A is a phone that does not need a bright source and it sounds fine to me. I still might want more treble from the M750, a can I thought the AMP3 would brighten up more. Less bright than a Nuforce Icon Mobile was. Brighter than a Caffeine Ultra but it's not burnt in yet either. My Penguin was bought used. It has the rep for being brighter till broken in.

I also got a pair of the RS Auvio earphones today too. Great combo for $156( I ordered the Pro2 when it was $10 off so $149 + $7). They look like they belong together both with the black machined aluminum and reflective edging.
P1010001-2.jpg

A wonderful match in looks and sound! It would seem that the driver specs of the Auvio are the same as the PL50 and the sound descriptions match what I'm hearing. That would mean that the PL50 and The Pro2 would have great synergy though they won't look the same.

So far, so great! Thanks Craig!

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #1,454 of 2,090
Nice picture, nice curves and seem to be no 'razor sharp' edges
smily_headphones1.gif
. Is the 'hiss' gone with sensitive IEMs?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #1,455 of 2,090
The edges are pretty sharp on the front but smooth/rounded off more on the back. I would have liked the controls black or gray with white lettering better.

I have gathered my current phones towards the Pro2 coming. The only one that might hiss would be the JVC M750(32 Ohm, 115 sens.). At volume 20 and above hiss does start to occur. This is both as a player and as an amp. The JVC is pretty sensitive but 40mm drivers are not armatures. It seems that the hiss is lessened but not eliminated.

I do find the Pro2 quite bright as an amp. It does cross the line there. The test is minidisc -> Headroom Cardas HPI -> M750 and this is a bit bright for my taste. Even with more rolled off Atrac 132 bitrate and the darker minidisc and headphones it needs to tame down.

The stock buds are good but not as good as the buds that came with my SmartQ T5-II. With some burn-in they might catch up and could sound quite similar if the bass and treble each subside and allow a bit more detail. I tested on three players and always favored the SmartQ buds though the fit of the PAA-1 is more comfy and secure.

First little bug encounter(I assume): Switched from line in to resume now playing and volume seemed to be locked at about one(barely audible). Needed a reboot to regain control of the volume again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back