Amp3
Sep 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #1,156 of 2,090
Well, I found a new pair of IEMs that mesh well with the Amp3. I have a pair of Klipsch S4s (bought them for my wife with the proceeds of selling the X10s), and I just hooked them up to the Amp3 on a lark, and wow, they sound excellent. Bass, very extended, deep, impactful. Mids and highs clean and clear, no sibilance or brightness. There is a little hiss, not as bad as the UM3X, but it's there. Will try it with the impedance adapter later, but a winning combo to add to the list.

Nice to find a relatively inexpensive pair of dynamic IEMs that play well with the Amp3. I did burn them in 50+ hours and at first didn't care much for the S4 on other DAPs. But did a fresh listen today on the other DAPs I own, and they seemed to have settled down from out of the box, when I found them harsh.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #1,157 of 2,090
Well I took the plunge and ordered the pro2. Went ahead and ordered the DT150s while I was at it. Looks like I'm now $400 down the path of the audiophile. Geez, that's a terrible money/post ratio, isn't it?
normal_smile .gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #1,158 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I found a new pair of IEMs that mesh well with the Amp3. I have a pair of Klipsch S4s (bought them for my wife with the proceeds of selling the X10s), and I just hooked them up to the Amp3 on a lark, and wow, they sound excellent. Bass, very extended, deep, impactful. Mids and highs clean and clear, no sibilance or brightness. There is a little hiss, not as bad as the UM3X, but it's there. Will try it with the impedance adapter later, but a winning combo to add to the list.

Nice to find a relatively inexpensive pair of dynamic IEMs that play well with the Amp3. I did burn them in 50+ hours and at first didn't care much for the S4 on other DAPs. But did a fresh listen today on the other DAPs I own, and they seemed to have settled down from out of the box, when I found them harsh.

Wow, sorry for your wife! Now she has to put up with the UM3X...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #1,159 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has the treble improved? I remember you saying it didn't sound right.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #1,160 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, sorry for your wife! Now she has to put up with the UM3X...
rolleyes.gif

LOL, very funny. No, she's stuck with the S4 unless I am using the Amp3 and need an IEM (using on-ears most of the time right now). But I do like the S4s much more now.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #1,161 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has the treble improved? I remember you saying it didn't sound right.

Yes, the sibilance I heard before seems gone. Can't explain it. In fact, they sound very good with all my DAPs. I am going to give a listen to the new Beatles remixes with them on the Amp3 (320k rips, though I also ripped them all in flac for the Zune/Clip).

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #1,162 of 2,090
hello....
i have westone 3 and will be getting hf-2 next week(just got an email!!!!)... dose anyone has any experience pairing these two with amp3??? if anybody does... how do they sound??? I'm having hard time choosing between zuneHD and amp3....

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #1,163 of 2,090
I have no experience with the westone 3 but with the HF-2 i can definitely say that they are a match made in heaven. The clarity is amazing...the bass is punchy deep and best of all accurate. The highs are fleshy if that makes sense, i would the SR-80 feathery like just like the sound is thinner compared to the fuller sound of HF-2.

The detail and decay really surprised me and there is so much room around the music the grilles really do their job.

I would say that it comes down to your ultimate reason for owning a DAP, if it is on the grounds of SQ only then get the amp3. But if you want the internet, pics and movies then go with the HD...

I know i am getting the HD next week but that is cos i am zune fanboy and cant wait to see how it works...

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #1,164 of 2,090
I think the only thing holding me back buying at the moment is the pace at which the models are coming out ,maybe waiting for bugs to be ironed out ect and the studio coming out .
may end up selling the d2 and the amp if it sounds so good ,not bothered about toys on my player ,i have a phone for that

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #1,166 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by busanblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks... from what i heard zune hd has same dac as zune 120.....so i should just get the amp3......well, only if studio 2 is available now ............

Studio2 ? Maybe you mistype, it should be STUDIO1, for I have never heard Studio 2. Thanks.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #1,167 of 2,090
Studio II is going to be the result of HF member feedback/input to the limited release of the Studio I, which will sell for $349. See the Whiplash Audio forum for details. So you may be able to get the Studio I soon, but the Studio II may be the better value.

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #1,169 of 2,090
IMHO, the Sudio I is expensive because of very LIMITED production. I really really hoping, the Studio II will be much cheaper after in mass production mode. Again, if the Studio II has the SPDIF out, AND with reasonable price, then .... it will will be in my signature
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #1,170 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, the Sudio I is expensive because of very LIMITED production. I really really hoping, the Studio II will be much cheaper after in mass production mode. Again, if the Studio II has the SPDIF out, AND with reasonable price, then .... it will will be in my signature
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't make any judgment on the price before the Studio 1 come out . I think if the sound quality of STUDIO1 is the best portable amp in the market, the price is reasonable, because it combines with a DAP funcition.

I can feel Studio should be much better than AMP3 from their price level. Their price tactic indicats the possiblity. But I almost can't imagine how perfect it will be for AMP3 is already excellent to me. So I am waiting to see and listen it to prove if my guess is true or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back