Amp3
Aug 31, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #1,006 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@nukaidee: Welcome, be prepared to wear a perma-smile!

On the op amp rolling. IMO there are both benefits and also issues with allowing opamp rolling. I can see where rolling might help to achieve the sound signature you want and match all your headphones. But a well designed amp is designed around the opamp (at least from what I know), so changing that may be a detriment unless a low peforming opamp is used.

So if a low performing opamp is used, you have to upgrade it to get great sound, right? And spend more money, possibly a lot more trying different opamps. I do have an opamp rollable sound card which did come with cheap opamps, so any high quality opamp is going to be an upgrade. I did try 8 different opamps, burning them in, then comparing them. Talk about time consuming! Now I have a bunch of opamps sitting in my drawer! I actually have some still in a vacuum sealed bag I haven't even opened since I really like my current opamp choices!

How about current amps with rollable opamps? They sound good with the stock opamps, but people talk about better sound with different opamps. Personally, I prefer just to have the amp configured for the best sound without me spending time and money trying to figure out what is the best in the expensive amp I just bought!

Just my 0.02
smily_headphones1.gif

JOE, I do completely agree with your opinions with your experience.

I only want to add a bit more.

Not every body has a golden ear who can have the experience to select the best suitable op by themself. So the rolling op design is only suitable for the core audiophiles.

Normally ,the famed brand's amp have been fine auditioned by their sound engineers. the op they have picked to install in the amp should be the best one they can get, unless they are not a responsible company.

My opinion is we don't need to cost time and money to try 10 difference ops in a good designed amp. or we should turn to DIY amp, by this way, you can save a lot of money than the finished AMP.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #1,008 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys, do u prefer use foam or not for paa-1?? i am planning to use donut foam
smily_headphones1.gif

even though i have yuin ok1, akg k319, and cm700, but i prefer this paa-1
biggrin.gif

To my experiments with the foam, I found that the foam is very critical to the sound quality of PAA1. one time when I was sporting, the sweat moistured the foam, the sound is completel degraded, After i dry it , it became as perfect as normal.

During un foam testing, I find the highs harsh and the bass is not smooth and not tight.

My conclusion is without the suitable foam, the PAA1 is definitely not PAA1.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #1,010 of 2,090
Thank you Craig for the updated manual and all your other hard work! The manual is here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not every body has a golden ear who can have the experience to select the best suitable op by themself. So the rolling op design is only suitable for the core audiophiles.

Yes, some people will make the amp sound worse! While some people live for it (at one point I really wanted an amp with rollable op amps), it won't be beneficial for the majority IMO.

@nemmo: is your AMP3 totally discharged? Are you charging it through wall power or computer power? Mine doesn't take all that long to charge, but then I don't drain mine all that much between charges. Some have reported the charge circuit not showing the battery as full, however the AMP3 still had the battery life as expected.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #1,011 of 2,090
I'm burning my amp3 in so I'm at school etc. when my amp3 is playing. It drain's all the way. But how long does the amp3 battery last when I'm burning him in at volume set at 20. I believe mine just lasts 3 days, which isn't 100 hours.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #1,012 of 2,090
IMO 3 days is really good! The 100 hours is at I think a 6 volume, which is close to where I listen to a lot (lower at night, higher during the day).

You can have the player playing while conected to the wall power, or if you carefully tape the 2 data pins of a USB cable's large plug (the one that goes into your computer) you can just charge it from a computer without it going into the sync mode. Make sure the tape is secure if you do this. I use clear packing tape to make sure it will stay.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #1,013 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by nemmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm burning my amp3 in so I'm at school etc. when my amp3 is playing. It drain's all the way. But how long does the amp3 battery last when I'm burning him in at volume set at 20. I believe mine just lasts 3 days, which isn't 100 hours.

I am also having some issues with the battery gauge, which seems to stick at 3 bars, unless I leave the Amp3 plugged in overnight and then some. I think there are some gauge issues, at least with mine. Anyone else? It sure doesn't recharge quickly, in any case. I don't expect 100 hours, due to volume, but I am a little concerned about the battery gauge thing.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #1,014 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also having some issues with the battery gauge, which seems to stick at 3 bars, unless I leave the Amp3 plugged in overnight and then some. I think there are some gauge issues, at least with mine. Anyone else? It sure doesn't recharge quickly, in any case. I don't expect 100 hours, due to volume, but I am a little concerned about the battery gauge thing.

I think because of the AMP3's extremely long battery life, it is going to be difficult for the player to accurately read its battery life. This is because the way it measures battery life is only accurately reset after a full discharge, followed by a full recharge. Part charges will slowly make it more and more inaccurate, and at 100 hours of a battery life, you're probably charging it at 80-90% battery life most of the time.

The lithium battery guide suggests that every 30 charges, you should fully discharge and recharge the battery to maintain battery accuracy.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Why does everyone in this thread who owns an AMP3 believe in burn-in? It's a bit disconcerting.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #1,015 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think because of the AMP3's extremely long battery life, it is going to be difficult for the player to accurately read its battery life. This is because the way it measures battery life is only accurately reset after a full discharge, followed by a full recharge. Part charges will slowly make it more and more inaccurate, and at 100 hours of a battery life, you're probably charging it at 80-90% battery life most of the time.

The lithium battery guide suggests that every 30 charges, you should fully discharge and recharge the battery to maintain battery accuracy.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Why does everyone in this thread who owns an AMP3 believe in burn-in? It's a bit disconcerting.

Try resetting using the "reset" button....

Also try using the wall adaptor and fully charge with that...

Craig

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #1,017 of 2,090
I have always had problems with the recharging. Only once did it charge to the point where the charger discontinued the charging process. I have tried resets, using the wall adapter, everthing I can think of. I now just charge until I see full bars, regardless of length of time.

I think Hisoundaudio stated that the time required for a complete charge was 6 hours, at which time charging stopped.

This is an item that I believe is being addressed in upcoming software/firmware changes.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #1,018 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have always had problems with the recharging.
This is an item that I believe is being addressed in upcoming software/firmware changes.

About AMP3 software/firmware updates:
Last week, Craig had posted that he thought a software/firmware update might be ready for the AMP3 Pro.1 by early this week. Since then, have we heard an update in either the news or (informed) thoughts about when we might expect the software/firmware update for the AMP3 Pro.1?

About AMP3 recharges:
I, too, have taken to the practice of stopping a recharge when the graphic battery indicator on the screen stably displays full bars, rather than waiting until the red LED goes out. In general, I've found battery management to be just that - requiring attention, oversight and intervention to get it right. Hopefully, less of all three as the AMP3 ripens as a total product going forward.

About the AMP3, overall:
I'm continuing to enjoy the sound from the AMP3 more and more, the more I use it. The PAA-1 buds are really capable listening instruments. They add a lot of value to the overall AMP3 product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back