Amp3
Jul 14, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #346 of 2,090
Can anybody confirm battery life? (100 hours, with 8 volume stated in manual), how long does it stands with let's say normal volume you are listening to? Hope for more hours than cowon's mighty I7.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #348 of 2,090
just bought it,

i use volume output around 24.

The sound quality is good, but like others said, the character of this dap is too bright and make me remember the sound of Cowon D2 when i first joined this hobby of portable audio. The earphones PAA-1 also have bright sound...

overall, good sound quality, worth to buy

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #350 of 2,090
edit: deleted...

Further impressions coming soon, decided to wait until it's finished.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #351 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagatti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anybody confirm battery life? (100 hours, with 8 volume stated in manual), how long does it stands with let's say normal volume you are listening to? Hope for more hours than cowon's mighty I7.

Had mine running for two straight days (burning in) and the battery still has two bars, so 100 hours may be about right, give or take. But I also use mine at 15-25 volume, depending on the phones.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #352 of 2,090
A fair, sincere and unbias impression is very welcomed
smily_headphones1.gif
.. Looking forward for the review/impression
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #353 of 2,090
I think that the battery really does last 100 hrs i literally go for days and without charging and i listen from 15-20 depending on the headphone...

I agree based on soley SQ this is has to be the best DAP i have ever heard and not by a little either

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #355 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulsanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opened the earphones, now don't have earphones!! Be careful folks!!

What happened? Something that can be fixed? Permanent damage?

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #357 of 2,090
My buds suffered a setback as well, as one of the wires came loose when I separated the cover from the drivers. But no matter, I think the Amp3 is now coming into its own, with a caveat. For now, I can only get the great SQ it is capable of when using my tape-modded Grados. When I listen using those phones, no other music player I own comes close. Little or no hiss (must be the burn-in), clear, clean mids and highs, bass tight, accurate. All in all, it is now what I expected, but I can't get it to match up with my in-ear phones as well as with the Grados. I need to perhaps purchase the UM56 custom sleeves for the Westones. I know the folks with UE11s say it matches up very well, so maybe my in-ear phones (down to 3 pair, W3s, RE3s and ADDIEMS) are the problem, not sure.

This also may be why I see PK1 owners saying it's a good match, because the Yuin PK sound is similar to the Grado SR80s, I believe. The Ksc75s also match up very well, but not with the same level of detail as the Grados.

It's about at 75-80 hours now and no hiss.

There is an erratic skipping problem at the beginning of some, not all, tracks, but it last 2-3 seconds. Annoying, wonder if a firmware update can resolve it. It also takes like 3-4 minutes to start up, another minor annoyance. But the battery did make it to about 100 hours, and as ulsanman says, it's really a very high-quality shuffle, because the screen is sort of a pain too. But now, I am convinced that, apart from the quirks noted, it is as advertised. Thanks to abellaw and ulsanman for starting this thread.

Of course, that doesn't mean I am not interested in Germania's mods...

Right now, the Amp3 purchase is turning into a good one.

As a postscript, the UPS guy was just here with the Sony X1000 I ordered from Amazon, but I rejected delivery. Yesterday I saw that Sony has every one of its non-Wifi MP3 players on sale, which means they are certainly going to unveil a new lineup very soon (no surprise, I guess. September?). I haven't heard anything myself, but if they release players without the Wifi component (and with the new amp) I would be interested, since I do really like the A818's sound and form factor.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #358 of 2,090
tstarn06
Ooo.. you rejected the X1000, without listening to it
smily_headphones1.gif
... Brave move. I respect your choice.

About the skipping, how about, try to DEFRAG the storage(s) in the AMP3?
Tips: You can defrag the SD card with card reader for much faster result
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #359 of 2,090
Nothing brave, I just decided I didn't care enough to try it for reasons I mentioned. Thanks for that skipping advice, might try it, but don't want to blow up the thing. LOL. I will try it next time I hook it up to my PC.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #360 of 2,090
Update. Just crossed 100 hours, and I am impressed. The bass is rich, never bloated, and it's all there (at least on the Grados). Wow. And everything is very balanced, neutral, not cold and analytical at all in my view. Any bad sounds come with bad tracks, more about original mastering/production than bit rate. Even my 192k tracks that were downloaded from Napster or other services (not ripped at home) sound fantastic. Most of my rips are 256 or 320k, and they also sound fantastic.

Anyone contemplating this purchase, the burn-in is critical. I expect it will continue to improve, as many HP amps improve to the 500-hour mark, from what I have read in the portable amp section.

It has even stopped the erratic skipping on the first 3-4 seconds of some tracks. It still has some annoying quirks, but as a SQ machine, it's now firmly at the top of my admittedly limited, but decent, collection.

I do worry about durability, of course, but we'll see.

I do see how someone could think it's not all that, depending on the phones. As I said, the Grados are a match made in heaven, and these are lower-level grados. Makes me ponder the idea of moving up to to the 325i or higher. But I am also resigned to getting the UM56 custom sleeves for my Westone 3s, because I think it would bring them up to the Grados with the Amp3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back