Amp vs Dac vs Cables
Jun 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #16 of 86

Quote:
LOL

60% in dac/transport, 30% amp, 10% max on cables.

x2

Why would you care about an amp if your source (laptop in this case) is crap?

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 86

Quote:Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd spend 200$ on a nice pro audio interface/sound card.

And the poll is ill-defined if people cannot vote what they think (not even "Other"), isn't it?

The questions is how to best spend a $1000 budget if your headphones are already taken care of.  What would your "other" option be??  Every1 wants to be a smart ass but no1 thinks (or reads) before they make a fool of themselves. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #18 of 86

Quote:
x2

x3

I think the DAC is the most important in this case, with the amp following a close second. sp70.

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #20 of 86
Lol this was a hypothetical question.  I am not asking what I should do... just interested in what others think the breakdown is between amps and dacs and cables.  the $1000 number is also hypothetical - u can imagine it to be any number you want if it helps you get over the pathetic nit picking.

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #21 of 86
Well it's such a general question, and a poll only lets you pick one. If you have easy to drive headhones, then a better dac would be suitable, but if you're hauling a 600 ohm monster, then you'll definitely want an amp.

With my current headphones, I would spend maybe 70% on the dac if I were to buy separates.

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #22 of 86
I voted DAC, only because the starting assumptions stated that there was no reasonable source OR amp.  once the DAC reaches $1000 (or even $300, really), an amp is going to make a lot of difference. 

Then again, the point is to match the amp to the cans - not to spend as much as possible. 

In terms of $1000, i'd say $500 DAC, $500 amp, $0 cables

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #23 of 86

In theory, that is if you are looking for the most efficient way to get the best sound possible.  The main thing has got to be the earplug phones, because you can stick them in so many different things.  Buy the best, and forget the rest.  If you have a pure source, a converter matching the source to your headphones is more important than increasing a poor signal between your music and your ears.

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 86

Quote:

Because a headphone is harder to drive than a amp.  

The computer's dac will do a much better job at feeding a amp than driving your headphones, and a headphone amp will do a much better job driving the headphones than a dedicated DAC would.  Just the way I look at it.

I don't think he mentioned anything about a laptop either.. I think desktop vs laptop makes a huge difference.  

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #25 of 86

Quote:
Because a headphone is harder to drive than a amp.  

The computer's dac will do a much better job at feeding a amp than driving your headphones, and a headphone amp will do a much better job driving the headphones than a dedicated DAC would.  Just the way I look at it.

I don't think he mentioned anything about a laptop either.. I think desktop vs laptop makes a huge difference.  

Woops, thought I saw laptop somewhere.  If you have a good pc and soundcard then yeah go for an amp.  My statement was based on laptops being crap as an audio source.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #26 of 86
Ok guys thanks for all replies so far.  I guess the poll is a bit pointless but it was just something I was interested in.  What people think make the biggest difference.  Yes I know u need a balanced system but still every1 hears different, for me I hear bigger improvement in upgrading amps but I have never heard a hi end dac so I wanted to know what more experienced members think makes a bigger difference.

In terms of the $1000 question, I think I would also spend $500 on amp and $500 on DAC and nothing on cable upgrades.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #27 of 86
If the person were using a laptop to listen to their music, I'd just tell them to get a dedicated music player (with amp and dac built in obviously). As long as you use standardized materials, all 3 components are easy to meet. There's no such thing as upgrading once you meet relatively simple standards. However, computers, especially if you've had yours for at least 5 years, tend to really skimp and use substandard materials for their sound.

Basically it's nonsense... If you own 500 dollar headphones, you can afford to spend 100 dollars on the amp and the dac to bring it up to standards. The cables suggestion is even more out of place, because it's really pretty rare to see someone skimp in that area, given how cheap it is to meet standards.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #28 of 86
I'd say in terms of cost division:

DAC
Amp
Cables

The DAC only needs about $1K to be truly "reference" as proven by Benchmark - you are going to have a hard time to improve upon something that already measures past a lot of the gear used to attempt measuring it.

Amp can be cheap or expensive.  Some cans can work with a $100 Mini^3 - other may need more power.  I'd say $300 can cover the majority of amps for standard dynamic cans, but an M^3 would once again highlight law of diminishing returns.

Headphone cables - will only make a difference if they're microphonic.  Odds are no difference will be measurable.

IC's - even less needing of being mentioned than headphone cable.  Monoprice or similar quality should be enough, but you can pay for looks or locking connectors if you like . . .

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #29 of 86
In theory, the DAC is the second most important component after your source file.  In practice its not very hard to make a very good DAC.  Consequently, there are lots of good, cheap DACs.  Even crappy onboard sound half qualifies.  If the manufacturers spent a few extra bucks to properly shield the analog side of the circuit they'd be pretty close to the specs of the big (in this world, anyway) names.  I'd bet good external DAC or soundcard for around $200 will probably get you 90% of perfect, unless you've got unusually sharp hearing.  An equally good amp will be a lot more money.  It all depends on what kind of 'phones you're driving with it though.  Good synergies can save you a lot of money in that department.

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #30 of 86
Quote:
In theory, the DAC is the second most important component after your source file.  In practice its not very hard to make a very good DAC.  Consequently, there are lots of good, cheap DACs.  Even crappy onboard sound half qualifies.  If the manufacturers spent a few extra bucks to properly shield the analog side of the circuit they'd be pretty close to the specs of the big (in this world, anyway) names.  I'd bet good external DAC or soundcard for around $200 will probably get you 90% of perfect, unless you've got unusually sharp hearing.  An equally good amp will be a lot more money.  It all depends on what kind of 'phones you're driving with it though.  Good synergies can save you a lot of money in that department.

I don't know . . . I got my X-Head for $130 or so and it measures extremely well.

I agree that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on a DAC, though I think you're overstating the cost of the amp some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back