Amp vs Dac vs Cables
Jun 26, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #76 of 86

Quote:

Regardless, I understand having transducers you like the sound of for fun though.  I have a Stax set I know isn't accurate, and some dynamics are surely faster as shown on some waterfall plots amusingly.  Nonetheless I still enjoy them despite this for fun listening.  In fact, my K601 is my only true "reference" pair in terms of desirable attributes for reproduction (picked for specifically that reason).

I guess my point is:  I rather spend my time looking for a better recording itself that is more "real to life" to play on an accurate system than chase a unicorn by guessing on something you can't know (I think the odds of getting it are worse than winning the lottery ten times straight :p )   There's only one form of accurate in this context, but you can try and find what you subjectively consider "realistic", which is much more plausible than "accurate" so to speak.  Maybe it's just an argument over semantics now that I think about it, heh.

well put.

i think the K601 are the flatest sounding HP i've heard - seamless from top to bottom without a ripple.  they remind me of my ATC monitors.

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #77 of 86
As i see it,the main components should all be equally high graded for an optimal performance...starting from the source meterial.  the cd,dac,amp,headphones (or speakers) should be the first things to consider.  afterwards and second in importance are cables/ic's (digital and analog).
 and last on the list are digital transports and such.    that's how i look at things.

but if i have to scale between amp and dac upgrade i would take a good amp first to start with together with a good set of headphones.   now it is up to the listener to define what consider hi-fi to him and what kind of sound he/she wants and the most important...how much cash does he have to spend
smile.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #78 of 86
Quote:
As i see it,the main components should all be equally high graded for an optimal performance...starting from the source meterial.  the cd,dac,amp,headphones (or speakers) should be the first things to consider.  afterwards and second in importance are cables/ic's (digital and analog).
 and last on the list are digital transports and such.    that's how i look at things.

but if i have to scale between amp and dac upgrade i would take a good amp first to start with together with a good set of headphones.   now it is up to the listener to define what consider hi-fi to him and what kind of sound he/she wants and the most important...how much cash does he have to spend
smile.gif

I'm just getting hip to the hi-fi game and have limited resources. My setup is based around portability. MBP and iPod Classic with some nice IEMs and Senn 448s. In your opinion, would it behoove me to buy an amp/dac combo like the E17 that can be used both with my laptop and when I take the iPod on the go? Or would one be better than the other since my setup isn't terribly developed yet (and probably won't be much larger for a while after this amp/dac purchase). 

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #79 of 86
The only thing that matters is your headphones. After that, if your iPod won't play music loud enough, get an inexpensive amp. Everything else is just window dressing. Spend your money where it counts. The correct answer to this poll is "buy better headphones"

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #83 of 86
Quote:
Then you'll be presenting the proof that its there, right?

Sir ! My Dad's company provides wire and cables to companies like VW,BMW and Ferrari (This also is used for audio sometimes) through "HOLM"  we also have a Controlled atmosphere / vacuum oven  for the above process (I think you might know that , don't search and then reply :D) we also provide the same to some Indian car manufacturers like TATA and Mahindra (Renault) 

Here is one of our manufacturing plants - 

If that is not enough for you - http://www.kkthelittlegiant.com/

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #84 of 86
Sure, there are differences in transient response, frequency response etc. but usually not in the audible range, not even close.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #86 of 86
i like artist's conceptions of what buildings might look like. It's helpful when they caption them so we know what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back