Amp vs Dac vs Cables
Jun 14, 2010 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

angle_sh00ter

500+ Head-Fier
I'm just wanting to get an idea what the popular theory is regarding importance of components.  For the purpose of the poll, assume that some1 has a lot of good headphones (in the $200 to $500 range) and a computer and nothing else.  What % of say a $1000 budget would you spend on the different equipment like amp, dac, cables etc?

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 86
I voted DAC because it's the only area where I've ever heard a difference that I could reliably discern. Every soundcard/computer audio out that I've used has had audible noise. Standalone DACs have made the difference for me.

Edit: I guess I can pick out some differences between my own amps but I guess I would consider them less important than having noise or some other fault with your DAC output, which is why I rated it higher. It starts with the source.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 86
Music.  Spent the $1000 on music.  You don't need expensive equipment to enjoy the hobby.  

Expensive != high-fidelity.  As for upgrading a signal chain, you should target the weakest link.  Thus, the question is ill-defined.  You're going to get responses where people vote for the difference they observed, with their last upgrade (n=1).  

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 86
You misunderstand my response.  I wasn't being cheeky.  I was asserting that in my own experience, money is best spent on music.

Where should I spend money to make my car perform better?
A. Engine
B. Brakes
C. Leather seats
D. Convertible hard-top
E. Tires with low-rolling resistance

The answer is completely different, based on my definition of performance, and how my car currently performs.   If I have a convertible, a hard-top is stupid.  If I have a Land-Rover, low-resistance tires are counter-productive.  If I have a 1989 Nova, leather seats would be hilarious, and maybe awesome, but money essentially wasted.

Without knowing your definition of performance, and without knowing anything useful about your current gear, any answers will be pure speculation.  Poorly defined question.  Also, I might add, this question gets repeated here over and over again.  Rather than impugn my reading comprehension, try to search/read.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 86
Thats fine.  the purpose of the poll is merely to find out the prevalent view of head-fi members.  Whether their views are scientifically accurate or otherwise is obviously beyond it's scope.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 86
You keep assuming things which are not true.  All I want to ascertain is what people here think, and to that end the question is defined fine.  So get of your high horse and stop with the stupid assumptions.

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 86
i love how you both have the same avatar

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 86
I only have experience with amps and cables; so I can say that both of them have an impact on sound quality. I think that amps are going to give you a bigger change in SQ than cables price/performance wise though. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 86
For me it is the amp, based on my experience of changing kit, the amp makes the biggest difference. I am however, open to there being more discernible differences between other DACs than the ones I have heard. Cables, sorry no way.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 86
Quote:
i love how you both have the same avatar

LOL

Quote:
For the purpose of the poll, assume that some1 has a lot of good headphones (in the $200 to $500 range) and a computer and nothing else.  What % of say a $1000 budget would you spend on the different equipment like amp, dac, cables etc?

60% in dac/transport, 30% amp, 10% max on cables.

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #15 of 86
Quote:
I'm just wanting to get an idea what the popular theory is regarding importance of components.  For the purpose of the poll, assume that some1 has a lot of good headphones (in the $200 to $500 range) and a computer and nothing else.  What % of say a $1000 budget would you spend on the different equipment like amp, dac, cables etc?

I'd spend 200$ on a nice pro audio interface/sound card.

And the poll is ill-defined if people cannot vote what they think (not even "Other"), isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back