Amp trap fear
Nov 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JMACK45

New Head-Fier
I've never had a headphone amp before...I am considering a portable amp, but am worried that once I listen through the amp I'll NEED it or my headphones will sound muted or lacking. I don't want to have to lug an amp around but am curious about the benefits.

Has anyone felt like once you listen amped you can't enjoy the sound of your music without it? Or am I over estimating the portable amp impact? (Considering fiio amp to go with my iphone 4)

Any advice or experience is appreciated.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Whether an amp is a massive benefit depends on the headphones.  It not only depends on how sensitive they are, but also how resolving they are and whether they have a flat impedence curve or not (impedence that varies by frequency is another reason headphones can be hard to drive).

For example, with hard to drive, detailed headphones like HD800s you definitely need an amp.  I also really prefer an amp on high end IEMs, even though they are sensitive, just because they are so resolving that you can hear the difference in electronics.  But if your headphones are both easy to drive and not high end, a headphone amp will be more of a flavor difference than a need.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 6
finally the person who is gonna enjoy the music is YOU...
and the one footing the BILL$$,
so u must learn to trust your ears, if u like that sound, thats IT.

=======
when i had the Edition8, i tot it sounded best off my ipad. no amps no fancy cables..plug straight in. :p
Yesterday i took out my 50bucks Superlux681, tried it on a few variations of amps/dacs...not really pleased with the sound,
but it came alive when it is stuck directly into my samsung Fone.  

Yes i am one person who doesnt want to carry a brick/amp in my jeans when i head out to town. 
But thats me, u might end up carrying two amps if u carry on reading all the threads here. lol.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 6
I've never had a headphone amp before...I am considering a portable amp, but am worried that once I listen through the amp I'll NEED it or my headphones will sound muted or lacking. I don't want to have to lug an amp around but am curious about the benefits.

Has anyone felt like once you listen amped you can't enjoy the sound of your music without it? Or am I over estimating the portable amp impact? (Considering fiio amp to go with my iphone 4)

The answer to your question depends on what headphones you're using.

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 6

Absolutely and actually to the point where ive never really listened to music out of just a dap, once i was hooked on amps, i never went without one. imo your not over estimating but i guess too it depends on the amp you use you might feel like lower end amps dont make that big of a difference. i went originally when i got into this hobby from a fiio e5 to a RSA sr71b but i went through alot of amps in between those 2......i find amps and dacs to be highly addicting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back