Amp to go with Grado's?
Aug 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

David_N

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and high end cans and accessories, but I'm very keen to learn!

First off, I'll say that I know very few audio terms, but I know what I like to hear! I currently have a set of new SR-225's with about 10 hours of listening on them so far and they get a little better every day that goes by! Now, I've come to the realization that I need an amp, because playing music out of my ipod and computer with these does not do them justice!

I'll be purchasing one of the new Cowon players when they arrive in North America (My source is telling me late October-November) as my main listening device, but I'll also be using my computer as a source too. Most of my music is in MP3, but I'm going to begin ripping it all in lossless format. What is the best to use, FLAC?

My other question, and what I'm more interested in, is what should I get as an amp for the SR-225's and potentially RS-series or even the GS1000's by years end? I've considered the RA-1 (Battery or AC powered, any quality difference?) and have recently looked at MAD amps.

What are the main differences between the "Ear+ HD Super Stereo Headphone Amplifier" and "Ear+ HD High Definition Stereo Headphone Amplifier"? Are there any options I should consider getting, or is the basic unit more than enough?

The RA-1 will run me $500/$600 (DC/AC respectively), while the MAD amp will run $850/$740 respectively. I'm in Canada, so I don't get very much choice without importing... I don't really care about the price, so long as it's under $1000 all said and done.

How do tube amps work? Do I have to adjust the tubes somehow, or do they just do all the work? What inputs do the MAD amps use, RCA? 3.5mm or 1/4"?

Sorry there's so many questions... I'm eager to learn and don't know very much. I'd appreciate anything you can help me with here
smily_headphones1.gif
gs1000.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 21
The MAD is definitely a solid choice for Grado's Reference Series. It's difficult to find a more musical, synergistic amp for less than a grand; although the Melos SHA-1 and Eddie Current EC/SS certainly come close.

Anyway, with regard to your questions:
1) If you're using Grados, the extra power of the EAR+ HD Super is overkill according to Dr. Peppard himself. That amp was designed to drive multiple pairs of high impedance headphones simultaneously; the power output on the regular EAR+ HD is perfectly adequate for low impedance phones like RS-1's.

2) There aren't too many available options for the EAR+ HD. For $230 more than list price, Dr. Peppard will install a stepped attenuator in place of the Alps potentiometer. In theory, a stepped attenuator limits interference; thus giving an amplifier a cleaner sound. In practice, I think your $230 is better put towards a new pair of headphones, as I've found the differences trivial at best.

3) Tube amps aren't at all a hassle to maintain or set-up. Tubes only need be installed once if you don't plan on "tube-rolling," and they don't require adjustment in any way. Be aware that tubes do have a certain lifespan; but, generally, tubes will last a few years before needing replacement (the EAR+ HD's tubes are cheap and readily available).

4) The MAD has two sets of inputs, and one passive output. The two inputs are standard gold-plated RCA jacks, but by default no source-selection switch is included (Dr. Peppard suggests that only one source should be used at a time). The passive output also has RCA jacks, and allows the unit to act as a preamp without even being on.

Hope that helped,
Nick

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 21
agree with the recommendation on the MAD ear+HD. good combo.

while many quibble about the simplicity and "cheapness" of the RA-1, it had good synergy with grados, especially the high-end grados.

some others you might want to look into - the melos gold...i think there's one on sale in the FS forum right now. some think it's the best amp for grados. i also like the headamp GS-1.

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 21
I can recommend my Little Dot MKIV SE for Grado's. The sound is just perfect for RS-2's and can be tailored with some tube rolling.

I've ordered the new Little Dot I+ hybrid amp which puts out 800mW to 32ohms instead of MKIV SE's 100mW to 32ohms. Have to see how it performs with both RS models.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 21
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. How about the Woo WA6 or WA6SE? How would those compare to the MAD Ear+HD? What's the added benefit of the WA6SE over the regular WA6, cleaner power and therefore less chance of noise?

What's the difference between the MAD Ear+ HD and Ear+ Super Stereo?

Thanks again for all the help and not shooting me down for being new to this, most forums are pretty harsh on the noobs, but this place seems great
smily_headphones1.gif

If you had to chose, would you get a WA6 or MAD Ear+ HD?

(PS, for anyone wondering, a reliable source is telling me the new Cowon players will hit North American shelves late October or November '08
wink_face.gif
)

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 21
Grado's RS series performs incrediably well with tubes, IMO, so I'd personally recommend that you stay along those lines while narrowing down your choice.

Some good ones thrown out already. Depending on your budget, Woo and MAD get the most praise and are the amps of choice in many recommendation threads.

I personally use the Darkvoice 336se with a pair of RS-1's and the sound is pretty spectacular. I personally enjoy OTL (output transformerless) tube amps. The Woo 3+ and Darkvoice are two good choice there.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 21
Isn't the WA3+ a high impedance amp?

If you had a choice between the MAD Ear+ HD, WA6, and WA6SE (completely ignoring price) what would you chose? I'm personally leaning towards the WA6SE, I've read some fantastic reviews on it and I don't really care that much about price any more. I realize this is something that will last me a long time, so I might as well spend a little extra now to get the best.

Is it worth getting the upgrade for it? Is a maxed out WA6 better than a base WA6SE to most people? Should I go for the upgrade package (What will this improve?)? What about the attenuator, what does that do? And the Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B, what does that improve?

Thanks again, I'm sorry I have so many questions... I really appreciate your help
smily_headphones1.gif

On the same note, what's a good DAC? Preferably one I can find in Canada for under $1000. I was looking at the Decco, but that's $800 US and I can't find any in Canada... Like I said, my source will likely be either my computer through optical out or a Cowon MP3 player of some type.

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 21
The WA3+ will drive lower impedance cans, like Grados, just fine. The amp came about because of the WA3's less than optimal performance with lower impedance cans.

If I was deciding, based solely on reviews and comments on this forum, I'd take a maxed WA6 over a WA6SE. But that is just me.

I will recommend checking into a used Benchmark DAC-1. My father recently put on into play with his stereo and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. Sharp dynamics and very solid imaging. Great little piece of equipment.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 21
I'm very happy with my Little Dot MKIII, which I use with Grado 325i headphones. I have the SR80s as well, and both sound better - IMO - using a tube amp instead of solid state.

All depends on your budget, though.

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 21
I guess I'll chime in and confuse the OP a little more...
biggrin.gif
...Just kidding of course...

After reading that link about amping the SR225 (2nd post in this thread) I checked out a few things... My X-CanV3 has not been getting any love since I received my DVs and LDMKIV SE....and my Grados have taken some time off since the arrival of my DT880s & HD650s....So on to the Grados and X-Can...WOW, I forgot the synergy hybrid amps have with Grados...Sure my SR225s sound good with straight tubes but hybrids just seem to compensate on the high current deficiency while giving it the best of both worlds...

Just my 2 cents...
Jes

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 21
David, w/ the exception of the Woo amps I have either owned or listened to all the other amps listed in this thread. IMO the offering by Dr. Lloyd have the more synergistic relationship w/ the Grado's.

he Melos are very nice but since they are no longer made I would be hesitant to get one should it need repair. Dr. Lloyd's are point to point wiring and thus should be very easy to repair should an it go bad. When using a board you would need to use jumpers should the traces go bad, not a major deal to some but yes to others.

In closing I would suggest you go to a meet to listen to some of these amps since only you and your ears should make the final decision. Good luck in your search.

Edit 1: I forgot to mention that the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3 sound very nice w/ Grados. IMO they are much better w/ the PinkFloyd Mods, a pair of Russian 6H23-EB tubes, and a better PSU like the Little Pinkie PSU.

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 21
I haven't listened to most of the amps mentioned here, but I absolutely recommend tubes for Grados.

Impedance isn't that critical with Grados, since they are very efficient. Even when there is an impedance mismatch, you usually get plenty of power to the drivers anyhow. An impedance mismatch will rob power from the amp depending on the amp's output impedance.

I would be sure to check the For Sale Forum for an amp, as well. Your dollar will go a lot further and you won't have to worry so much about sales districts, etc.

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 21
Hi guys,

I auditioned an RA1 today and wasn't really fond of it, it seemed to add a synthetic feel to all the songs I listened to.

Thanks again for the great help. I've narrowed it down to the WA6 and WA6SE. I'll likely be using it with a Beresford TC-7510 DAC with it as a source.

Here are my final questions, hopefully:

What would I notice if I were to get the premium parts package? How does this change the sound?

How about the Princess rectifier tube replacement, how will that affect things?

Lastly, I'm relatively new to this market, what does the attenuator option do? All the descriptions I have found are very high-tech and have left me rather confused...

Now, if somebody could convince me for a setup of either the WA6/WA6SE and some upgrades that would be great! I mostly listen to artists like Modest Mouse, Jack Johnson, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, The Police, Incubus, Goo Goo Dolls, Fiest, Plain White Tees... that sorta thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back