AMP SHORTLIST
Aug 1, 2010 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

callasius

New Head-Fier
How you doing Guys :)

I am after an amp to power some HD600 if necessary. I do not have £500-1000 to spend. I am UK based and thus far i have shortened my list down to 2 candidates.

Little Dot MKiii
Creeks obh21

They are within my budget. I must stress these will be for electronic music production so i am trying to avoid a colorful sound or anything that has been smoothed over. I would like to know if 

1: This would be a waste of time and wait till i have a bigger budget
2: How they plug into an EMU 0404 (any required leads etc)
3: If little dot, where can i purchase other than ebay
4: If you have a better amplifier in mind to do the job i require (available within the UK)..... please advise

Thx

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the cheaper Graham Slee amp would be a better bet. Certainly better than the creek and less colorful,more accurate than the Little Dot.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 6
To purchase a Little Dot MKIII you can do a direct buy from Little Dot themselves, if you just go to their website and shoot them an email they should send you a paypal invoice for the payment.

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 6
Heard great things about Graham Slee products actually. Which ones can you recommend within that price range?

Thanks for your response. Should i assume out of the creek and mkiii the little dot would be the better choice? It seems to be more talked about than the creek on this site.

Cheers

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 6
Being in the UK an amp from Graham Slee would be a wise choice. This because they sound great and because should they ever need work it would be easier to ship it to him. I really like my Solo SRGII but it is more than the amps you have listed, you could reduce the cost a bit by getting the switching PSU and later the PSU1. Good luck.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 6
The Novo is within your price range (£212 + vat). See (http://www.headphoneamplifiersusb.com/novoheadphoneamplifier.htm)
I recently sold a Solo SRG which currently retail for about £315 with the standard power supply, could always upgrade later. The Solo is very good for the price but I have never heard the Novo.
The LD would probably be better than the Creek but although I have not heard either I would guess that the LD would be more colored and smoother being that its a tube amp. The Solo would have more detail,speed,punch and dynamics that either given my experience of it and what I have read about the others (mainly the LD)
The Novo would give you 80-85% of the Solo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back