Amp recommendations?
Dec 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #16 of 27
The only input the Fiio E10 has is the USB. Since it relies on power from the usb port the ipod (or ipad) cannot provide enough power to run the amp. I tried this with ipad using a camera adapter (usb input) on the ipad. It may be humanly possible with some considerable modding or an modded power injector cable but its not really worth it. OP the E10 makes a great desktop amp for a computer and can run my 250 ohm beyers with no problem.
The E11 makes a great portable with the LOD cable. They are a good combo to have. Especially since both can be had for under $100 right now.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #18 of 27
ok so after researching apparently apple requires a special chip to bipass the internal DAC and that's why devices that can such as the istreamer cost so much. Because they have to buy the rights from apple. In light of that I've kind of giving up on the idea of a DAC for the ipod because after I got that, I'd still need an amp so the entire setup would cost waay more than I wanted to pay. In light of all this I'm thinking of getting a DAC/amp such as the fiio e17 which from what I have read is a pretty good performer as a plain amp (I believe it is supposed to be similar to the e11) Plus I can use the DAC option when I get to use a computer. Any input?

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #21 of 27
ok so after researching apparently apple requires a special chip to bipass the internal DAC and that's why devices that can such as the istreamer cost so much. Because they have to buy the rights from apple. In light of that I've kind of giving up on the idea of a DAC for the ipod because after I got that, I'd still need an amp so the entire setup would cost waay more than I wanted to pay. In light of all this I'm thinking of getting a DAC/amp such as the fiio e17 which from what I have read is a pretty good performer as a plain amp (I believe it is supposed to be similar to the e11) Plus I can use the DAC option when I get to use a computer. Any input?

E17 is a good idea. The e11 is about 30% more powerful. If you want the best of both worlds get the e10 while its on sale at adorama and an E11. Getting e11 and e10 comes out to about the same $ or less.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #23 of 27
So is the DAC on the e10 the same as the one on the e17?

No they are not the same. The E10 puts out a little more power. The DAC on the E10 is a perfectly good dac just like the E17 is a perfectly good dac. The E17 boasts the ability to process 192khz while the E10 only does 96khz.

For one your cd's and all of your digital music is already 44.1khz.

For two using usb mode you are going to get a max 96khz anyway.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #24 of 27
ok so then what is the difference between a cheaper dac like the e10 and some of the higher end expensive ones? If the e10 already processes beyond what audio files require of it, then why do high end DAC's even exist?

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:
ok so then what is the difference between a cheaper DAC like the E10 and some of the higher end expensive ones? If the e10 already processes beyond what audio files require of it, then why do high end DAC's even exist?

I guess the E10/E17 come with a fairly decent DAC chip, but I guess there are better DAC chips.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #26 of 27
I just don't understand how they can be better when these already go beyond the 44.1 khz of cd's. I can look that up though so don't waste your time haha. Anyway I think I am going to get the e17 over the e11 and e10 because I like how it's just one device instead of two. I also like the fact that the e17 has custom eq settings because the eq in my iPod really sucks. Instead of being able to adjust different things like bass and treble, it just gives pre-set modes such as "bass booster" or "treble booster". I like that I would be able to customize this with the e17. Thanks for the information though. Everyone was a great help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back