Amp recommendations for HE-4
Mar 15, 2011 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DemonicLemming

500+ Head-Fier
Thinking about picking up a set of HE-4 cans, but not sure if my LD MK3 would be able to drive them properly.  The Schiit Lyr seems to be a pretty popular choice for a high-power amp, but I'm wondering if my LD would be able to stand in adequately (or if it would do fine itself) until I can swing a heavy-hitter tube amp.

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 11
a great ortho amp is a Cavalli CTH (compact tube hybrid).  They are known for being phenomenal and outclassing amps that cost hundreds more. i certainly experienced that as the case when i did a 4 amp showdown.. the CTH won....  They are DIY only but you can often find them for under $300 on the forums. 

if you do look for this.. just tell the seller that you'll be using it for the HE-4's and ask the person if they need to change any of the components to suit them.

when i bought one from a DIYer for my Thunderpants, he made a few "optimizations" so it would be best suited for them.  I also asked for other people's opinions on his changes before i bought it, which gave me peace of mind, because others concurred.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 11
Well, I'm trying to stay away from having to buy another amp right now - I'd rather put off buying the HE-4s and a decent amp for them for a bit until I can buy both at once, if the LD won't have enough power to really drive them properly.  No reason to spend $450 on a set of headphones I won't really be able to enjoy for a bit.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 11
Ah, my bad...I'm sort of looking for both - another amp in the future for just the HE-4s, and any shots in the dark as to whether it's worth buying those cans and running them on the LD until I can get a more powerful amp, or if it'd just be better to wait and buy both the new amp and HE-4s at the same time.

Bad wording on my part.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 11
Or you can get the HE-4/EF5 combo in which case you will only pay $250 for EF5. Hifiman's EF5 should work very well with HE-4. i am listening to it right now. i can't imagine if you can find any amp which performs even closer to EF5 for $250.  

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Ah, my bad...I'm sort of looking for both - another amp in the future for just the HE-4s, and any shots in the dark as to whether it's worth buying those cans and running them on the LD until I can get a more powerful amp, or if it'd just be better to wait and buy both the new amp and HE-4s at the same time.

I'd wait to buy a nice amp for them. 

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Talked to Jason as Schiit, and he said the Asgard would match up pretty nicely with the HE-4; the Lyr would be even better, but another $1000 on noise gear is a bit tough on the bank.

I was thinking about the EF5/HE-4 combo, but the website said the deal ended at Thanksgiving...haven't emailed to check whether it's still good or not.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 11
Talked to Jason as Schiit, and he said the Asgard would match up pretty nicely with the HE-4; the Lyr would be even better, but another $1000 on noise gear is a bit tough on the bank.

I was thinking about the EF5/HE-4 combo, but the website said the deal ended at Thanksgiving...haven't emailed to check whether it's still good or not.

don't worry. it's still good and with free shipping.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 11
Hm.  Same price for each then, tube vs solid state.

Hmmmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back