Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Feb 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #466 of 1,285
Quote:

Not all at once gents :wink:  If you prefer the BHA-1 to the Soloist, sell me on why.

Don't think it's a good fit for ya. The BHA-1 is much too similar in tonality to Mojo and I fear you'd find it to aggressive as well.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #467 of 1,285
That's how I read it too.  But gents a few pages back said they preferred the BHA-1 to the Soloist and when I asked why... silence.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #468 of 1,285
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the input guys.

I will be getting my LCD 3 tomorrow. Can't wait.
My system is Anedio D2 dac + Woo 6SE which I doubt is gonna be powerful enough to drive LCD 3. (LCD 2 doesn't sing well with WOO 6SE IMO, it seems to smoothen out everything leading to a slightly sloppy bass, no tube helps)

So far under $1500, BHA-1 and Mjolnir sound like winners? Has anyone heard of the sound signature of Anedio D2 dac? It's extremely neutral to my ears. Both ends extends very very far. So which one between BHA-1 and Mjolnir is a better call here? I got a feeling it's BHA-1, since Mjolnir is "a bit too exciting"? if I understand it correctly. So pairing it with a flat DAC might be"dry" for me?

The Anedio D2 is a damn good DAC.  I didn't really listen to the headphone out.  But the DAC portion is really good.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #469 of 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So which one between BHA-1 and Mjolnir is a better call here? I got a feeling it's BHA-1, since Mjolnir is "a bit too exciting"? if I understand it correctly. So pairing it with a flat DAC might be"dry" for me?

While the Mjolnir is very slightly more "exciting" than the BHA-1 and the Bryston is a tiny bit warmer than the Schiit, in reality they sound very, very similar. You should feel free to choose one or the other based upon connectivity, appearance, price or other non-SQ factors and not feel like you're missing anything or picking an inferior amp.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #470 of 1,285
While the Mjolnir is very slightly more "exciting" than the BHA-1 and the Bryston is a tiny bit warmer than the Schiit, in reality they sound very, very similar. You should feel free to choose one or the other based upon connectivity, appearance, price or other non-SQ factors and not feel like you're missing anything or picking an inferior amp.

I feel exactly opposite. The Mjolnir is the warmer slightly rolled off smoother amp and the BHA-1 is the better resolving, sharper more neutral more aggressive amp. It was so different I could have passed a blind test with perfect accuracy.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #471 of 1,285
Quote:
I feel exactly opposite. The Mjolnir is the warmer slightly rolled off smoother amp and the BHA-1 is the better resolving, sharper more neutral more aggressive amp. It was so different I could have passed a blind test with perfect accuracy.

This is why I love this hobby.
beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #472 of 1,285
I agree with Olias on this.  The Mjolnir was the amp that was more tilted to the bright side - slightly, more lively, and a tad bit more forward.  The BHA-1 was the more musical, smoother amp by a very slight margin.  

Blind test can be very embarrassing. 
blink.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #473 of 1,285
I'll take your agreement and counter with results from our Dallas meet when I had both that support my side without any pre-conditioning or suggestion. Perhaps it was a sharper BHA-1 and softer Mjolnir than your units.

:D

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #474 of 1,285
FWIW, I completely believe in manufacturing variances and have no trouble accepting the possibility that my BHA-1 sounds radically different from others. Mine's an early production model (SN in the teens) and things may have changed since then.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #480 of 1,285
Thank you guys for he input.  

I am enjoying probably last listen to my LCD 2 rev.1 tonight. lol. I hope LCD 3 isn't a disappointment like LCD 2 rev.2.

If my internal amp for Anedio D2 and WOO 6SE can't serve it well. I will probably go for the BHA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back