Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Feb 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #242 of 1,285
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I just the LCD 3s in today. I'm looking for some amp recommendations in the $500-1000 range. While I acknowledge that an expensive amp would do a better job at driving these, I really can't afford to drop that much cash on this right now.

Is there anything around $500 that will do a good job?

I was looking at the Schit Lyr or Schiit MJLONIR

Will a Lyr do a good job or is the MJOLNIR really a step up?

The Lyr was just "meh" with the LCD-3s (though quite good with the LCD-2s). I'm gonna go with the flow and say Mjolinir!

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #243 of 1,285
Quote:
The Lyr was just "meh" with the LCD-3s (though quite good with the LCD-2s). I'm gonna go with the flow and say Mjolinir!

Totally agree. The Lyr is good value, but you can do better for the LCD-3.

Right now, I'm deciding between the Mjolnir and the Bryston BHA-1 for my LCD-3. They're very close in sound quality, with the Mjolnir being a little drier and less engaging but otherwise quite competitive. I prefer the additional connectivity options of the BHA-1 (balanced or SE on the input and headphone output, plus you can have both types of inputs plugged in at once), but if these extra features don't interest you I'd pick the Mjolnir as a better value.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #245 of 1,285
Quote:
I was also looking for a small footprint solution for my small bedroom, after all when I'm in the living room I'm gonna listen to my Dynaudio towers not headphones. But here in the bedroom headphones are king although there's not much room, so I bought a Burson Soloist and Audeze LCD3's. The Soloist is only 7inches wide and fits easily on the narrow shelf next to my bed. I'm driving it with a miniDAC which is also very small. For source material I am using my CD collection which is about 2500 CDs of mostly Japanese imports and gold CDs, played through a tabletop JVC CD player with optical output. I hope to upgrade to a nice CD transport if I can find one small enough.

The Soloist drives the LCD3's quite nicely, loud enough for hearing damage if you care to push it that high (I do not). You will not be sorry you bought it unless you have a thing for tubes, but you will never find a small tube amp that can drive the LCD3's.

Hi IH8RDNX,

I head that the Burson HA-160 was not good enough to drive the LCD3's. I was originally looking at the HA-160.
Now I see a lot of people saying the Soloist can drive them quite well? Seems odd, mind you I am not an expert :) 
I may be able to demo the LCD3's and the Soloist at the local store as they import both.

Hi Solude,

The Apex peak looks a lot bigger then both the Schiit lyr or the Burson soloist.
Or are the images on there site deceiving. I'd also like to keep away from  amp+separate Power supply, it just takes up more room that i don't have :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #246 of 1,285
Quote:
Hi IH8RDNX,

I head that the Burson HA-160 was not good enough to drive the LCD3's. I was originally looking at the HA-160.

I have the HA160 and DA160 with the LCD3s and it drives them adequately.. Im just not impressed with the quality compared to some of my portable amps and the LCD3s. Will be selling the Burson gear soon 

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #247 of 1,285
About the same size, Peak has a shorter case but taller because of the tube and weighs less.

Soloist is my second pick for the LCD-3 though and the amp I have now.  The reason the HA-160 isn't recommended much is the 100mW ceiling while the Soloist bumps up to 500mW and sounds much better.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #250 of 1,285
Right now, I'm deciding between the Mjolnir and the Bryston BHA-1 for my LCD-3. They're very close in sound quality, with the Mjolnir being a little drier and less engaging but otherwise quite competitive. I prefer the additional connectivity options of the BHA-1 (balanced or SE on the input and headphone output, plus you can have both types of inputs plugged in at once), but if these extra features don't interest you I'd pick the Mjolnir as a better value.

I had both. My opinion is that the BHA-1 has treble distortion and the Mjolnir doesn't. I listened to the BHA-1 for about a week and switched back and was so relieved to be able to follow the treble again. This is with the LCD-3's. The BHA-1 still might work best for your setup. Just one man's opinion....I sold the Bryston.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #252 of 1,285
Quote:
About the same size, Peak has a shorter case but taller because of the tube and weighs less.

Soloist is my second pick for the LCD-3 though and the amp I have now.  The reason the HA-160 isn't recommended much is the 100mW ceiling while the Soloist bumps up to 500mW and sounds much better.

OK I'll bite. Burson rates the Soloist at 4W into 16 ohms. So driving a 50 ohm LCD3, the Soloist should supply just over 1W. Has Burson overrated the Soloist output?

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #253 of 1,285
Looking at the circuit and rail values... yes.  Burson likes to throw out the 100% distortion number, 4W, and the usable number 1W into 30ohm and let the buyer decide which one they prefer :wink:

They did the same thing for the HA-160.

That said, I think the Soloist sounds great it's just not a B22 or Mjolnir in terms of power.  The Peak is even weaker at 400mW but the difference there is really splitting hairs.  117dB will blow out your ears so 500mW is more than enough.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #254 of 1,285
I'm surprised that no one here discusses Eddie Current 2A3 or DNA Stratus. Both are high-end balanced tube amps that were designed to drive power-hungry orthos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back