Amp recommendation for W1000X
Apr 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #16 of 29

Quote:
It's great. I can listen to clapton or adele or whatever and it sounds like it should, and when I drop in some dr.dre or trance the bass just comes out of nowhere and delivers deep and tight. The sweetness inherent in the w1000x's gets to shine on the m1; it doesn't make them sound harsh or dry.

I'm afraid that the bass could sound bloated on some amps,even SS. Tight and "fast" is what i want. I'll surely try to audition the M1.

May 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
I was using Solo Ul. there is noticeable noise when you plug in the headphone and the most important is UL is not that type of sound for japanese headphones

I got a second hand Novo (with switching power supply). I dont hear any noise.
The sound is acceptable, and 100 times better than without using any amp.
It's neutral (i wanted this), but not particularly powerful or airy. Timbre seems allright. I'll use it to compare with other amps, since it's tiny and very easy to take with me when I go audition other amps.
I dont regret my choice, and I'll resell it when i find a better match.

Later today or tomorrow i'll go audition the Goldenote HP7 (without external psu).

May 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #20 of 29
Hey Telstar,

Check out the amps in my sig.  I love the GS-1.  This amp sounds like it's just what your looking for.  The CK2III is also a good one.  Go to SWA he is a great guy to work with when it comes to mods.

Quote:

I got a second hand Novo (with switching power supply). I dont hear any noise.
The sound is acceptable, and 100 times better than without using any amp.
It's neutral (i wanted this), but not particularly powerful or airy. Timbre seems allright. I'll use it to compare with other amps, since it's tiny and very easy to take with me when I go audition other amps.
I dont regret my choice, and I'll resell it when i find a better match.

Later today or tomorrow i'll go audition the Goldenote HP7 (without external psu).

May 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
Check out the amps in my sig.  I love the GS-1.  This amp sounds like it's just what your looking for.  The CK2III is also a good one.  However, I have a M3 board in mine.  Go to SWA he is a great guy to work with when it comes to mods.  

Yes, Gilmore design perfectly fills the bill.
Next month i'll be getting a HA-06++ which should be equivalent to the discontinued GS1, unless i find an used GS1.
I'll also be getting a C2KII kit already assembled (amb pcbs and transistors), but I want to revert some changes to the original Kumisa, which i find better but trickier to stabilize.

Lots of amp rolling to do :)))

Who is SWA? Note that i'm based in Europe.

May 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

I went to audition it today. It's a good amp, fairly priced (around 600€), better than Lehmann according to the dealer and better than the graham slee novo that i brought together (I would have been puzzled if it wasnt).
Compared to the little Novo, it has better ambience, more extended at the frequency extreme, much better control of sibilance, and it sounds "bigger".
But that's it. Definitely worth the pricetag. If/when they carry the external psu I may audition it again.

I want more, I know the w1000x can perform better, and they may be replaced by the w3000anv one day, but i have to find my perfect SS amp first :)

The next amp on my audition list is the CEC.

May 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Yes, Gilmore design perfectly fills the bill.
Next month i'll be getting a HA-06++ which should be equivalent to the discontinued GS1, unless i find an used GS1.
I'll also be getting a C2KII kit already assembled (amb pcbs and transistors), but I want to revert some changes to the original Kumisa, which i find better but trickier to stabilize.

Lots of amp rolling to do :)))

Who is SWA? Note that i'm based in Europe.

I didn't know that the GS-1 was discontinued.  When did he do that?

SWA:

http://solderworksaudio.com/

May 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #26 of 29
SWA is not taking orders atm, and especially overseas, but it's not a prob, I know ppl locally that can build me an amp (and i have found a c2kiii partially built for sale).

The Novo is a little keeper, excellent Q/P, enjoyable and easy to transport when i do auditions.

So, last week I went to hear the CEC H53N. and here are my impressions:
First of all, I listened with a CEC cd player and not my source.
The CEC is neutral and balanced, with excellent LF control, the best bass notes ever heard with my HP. Great micro and macro-dynamics, it made me want to raise the volume, but it bothered me at above-avg volume due to HF a bit sparkly and metallic. It could be the source's fault, but I cannot audition again.
Pleasant, Enticing sound, timbre correct in the analytical side, voices were just decent (i preferred the Goldenote on female vocals), and overall too much "hifi". To make a comparison, like a midrange simaudio Moon chain, or  CEC one :wink:

Time to hear some diy stuff.

May 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #27 of 29
I can sale you my C2KIII amp I got from SWA.  I just got it like a little over a month ago if that.  The only reason I'll sale it is because I'm getting it Grand daddy in a few days.  B22/S22

Quote:
SWA is not taking orders atm, and especially overseas, but it's not a prob, I know ppl locally that can build me an amp (and i have found a c2kiii partially built for sale).

The Novo is a little keeper, excellent Q/P, enjoyable and easy to transport when i do auditions.

So, last week I went to hear the CEC H53N. and here are my impressions:
First of all, I listened with a CEC cd player and not my source.
The CEC is neutral and balanced, with excellent LF control, the best bass notes ever heard with my HP. Great micro and macro-dynamics, it made me want to raise the volume, but it bothered me at above-avg volume due to HF a bit sparkly and metallic. It could be the source's fault, but I cannot audition again.
Pleasant, Enticing sound, timbre correct in the analytical side, voices were just decent (i preferred the Goldenote on female vocals), and overall too much "hifi". To make a comparison, like a midrange simaudio Moon chain, or  CEC one :wink:

Time to hear some diy stuff.

May 19, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
I can sale you my C2KIII amp I got from SWA.  I just got it like a little over a month ago if that.  The only reason I'll sale it is because I'm getting it Grand daddy in a few days.  B22/S22

You got a pm.
The beta22 is great for balanced, but it's a too complex project for me to tinker with.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #29 of 29
I keep updating my thread as long as i get or audition other amps.

Last week i finished connecting the CK2III I bought semi-assembled from a guy that was using it as preamp. All default parts, except the psu which is a sigma22 (which I think works great, it's quiet and bass is very good).
The Kumisa took the place of the Novo -it's a better all-rounder for my 'phones.

In the upcoming weeks I'll try 4 different (better) pairs of output transistors with higher bias (150mA+). 4,1x gain is also a bit too much, but some calculation is needed to lower it, and testing with a scope.
I feel that it has potential and deserves quality parts.

Testing has been with my DAC fed optical, so a better transport is needed to perform more accurate evaluations. I have a xmos usb DDC and pinouts to connect to my dac, but I need a proper PSU, which I have ordered from Paul Hynes. In the meantime, i'll get/make a temporary psu. Point is that I need a more transparent transport to evaluate subtler differences, as between output transistors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back