Amp recommendation for W1000X
Apr 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Telstar

100+ Head-Fier
As title says.
My tastes in traditional amplification are Classè, Burmester, ASR, Symphonic Line and only tubes i like are VAC. I like a dynamic but musical sound, with wide bandwidth and low distortion, esp in the HF. It can be class AB if done well, but it would cost too much if done with vacuum tubes, so SS once more.
I do plan to keep the amp for future HPs rolling. Sources are various, so I'm not looking for dac-amp combo.
No specific pricerange, but budget must not exceed 800€. I can consider some cheap product to try their approach (i.e. O2).

Some candidates:
-Violectric V200
-Musical Fidelity M1 HPA
-Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear
-Meier Corda Swing
-Lehmann Linear (Matrix m-stage)

I'm based in Europe I prefer to avoid overseas shipping, so the brand must be available somewhere from an european distibutor/retailer.

Possibly provide opinion of amps tried with AT woodies, Denon D7000(or modded 2k/5k) and JVC DX1000, that are in my list of future listenings.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 29
Have you considered the HA-160? I like how good it sounds with Denons, they scale nicely when using proper amplification. Regarding the w1000x i remember reading a review somewhere (Burson/w1000X) i'll find the link for you. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 29
From a design point of view I'm not crazy of Burson realizations, but I have never heard them.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 29

Quote:
From a design point of view I'm not crazy of Burson realizations, but I have never heard them.

What you dont like about them? 
Here's the link btw. (use google translate)
hai la possibilità di provarlo?

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 29
I prefer to focus to the designs that i do like.
I have checked the tech specs of the burson and they didnt convince me. If it was much cheaper i could give a try, but not at the current price point.

The amps that i THINK to be most suitable -high current, low gain, neutral timbre- are the V200 or an amp based on Gilmore design (GS1 and previous versions, the GSX is way out of my budget). Plus a couple of DIY designs.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 29
I decided to get a HA06++
Plus I'll build two other diy designs, that seems IMO more suitable (at least electrically) to the AT woodies:
1) JLH headamp (original 1995 version with output transistors to choose)
2) An italian project called "VHF-N" that looks very well thought, and I can audition it next week with both my HP and the DX1000 of the amp's owner.

Moreover, I'll monitor the marketplace for an used Kumisa.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 29
just bumping in case someone has other suggestions :)
I have seen only mid-high level tube amps recomendations in general for AT woodies, but I want the tight bass and PRAT that only a good SS can give.
BTW, I'll be auditioning most amps in the sub 1k range (including the Burson), and the diy ones. Totally undecided.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 29
Well, I'm very interested in this too. I have a pair of W1000X's and a pair of DX-1000s. I use them with a DNA Sonett tube amp, and I have to say that I'm not that impressed by the W1000X's. 

I've heard a lot of good things about these headphones, but the sound that I'm getting from them really seems to be in my head (small soundstage) and there is very little bass. I wonder if a different amp might help or if I just might not like the sound signature? 

On the topic of the DX-1000s, they don't seem to have the minute details of the W1000X's, but their soundstage is HUGE and the sound that comes from them is really lifelike. How did you feel about them when you auditioned the two?

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 29
I know the op is not asking for tubes but when I borrowed a pair of W1000x there was no contest it just loved my Trafomatic Head One. I know the developer of that amp  had the W1000X as well.

However only had it for a week. I enjoy my solid states a lot but the W1000x was 100 % tube for me :).

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
On the topic of the DX-1000s, they don't seem to have the minute details of the W1000X's, but their soundstage is HUGE and the sound that comes from them is really lifelike. How did you feel about them when you auditioned the two?

I didnt audition it yet. Will go next week. The owner doesnt like the DX1000 at all, but I may. Quality of voices and timbre are most important for me.

I'm not sure why you dont like the W1000 with the Sonett, it's said to be a wonderful amp. Maybe the sinergy with tubes is not that huge for this AT model (unlike the new W3000 for instance).

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
I'm running the w1000x through a musical fidelity m1 hpa, and I love it. It sounds really sweet and detailed without beeing too bright.

How is the bass?

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
Well, I'm very interested in this too. I have a pair of W1000X's and a pair of DX-1000s. I use them with a DNA Sonett tube amp, and I have to say that I'm not that impressed by the W1000X's. 

I've heard a lot of good things about these headphones, but the sound that I'm getting from them really seems to be in my head (small soundstage) and there is very little bass. I wonder if a different amp might help or if I just might not like the sound signature? 

They are amp sensitive Imo. It sounds like a poor match. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 29

Quote:

How is the bass?

It's great. I can listen to clapton or adele or whatever and it sounds like it should, and when I drop in some dr.dre or trance the bass just comes out of nowhere and delivers deep and tight. The sweetness inherent in the w1000x's gets to shine on the m1; it doesn't make them sound harsh or dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back