Amp needed for Hd598s
Jun 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
During my research on possible amps for the 598, I came across a lot of people recommending the Fiio e9.  I don't plan on using the usb fuction with a computer or an e7, it will be likely only be used for amping direct from my fuze and e11

I'd like to use the e11 as a pre amp instead of direct feed from the fuze, as the e11 is noticeably more clear than the rockboxed fuze I have.  Would the E9 be the wisest option for roughly $130 or so?  

-cheater

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi!

Am not sure I understand your setup 
confused_face(1).gif

So you have a Sansa Fuze ( I assume with L6 line out) to E11 and into HD598

Now, you want to use an ADDITIONAL amp?

If you don't have the L6 line out cable for your fuze than you have the headphone out of the fuze (amped), the E11 (amp) and you want to amp the signal AGAIN?

I think the E9 has plenty of power and does not need to be pre-amped at all with the E11...

Maybe you can let us know what exactly your chain is...

Like: 
Sansa Fuze -> L6 -> E11 -> HD598

and what you want to do:

Sansa Fuze -> L6 -> E11 -> E9 -> HD598

Enjoy the cans, they are awesome...
K

EDIT: Ok, I just re-read your post... rockboxed fuze, that most likely means that the line out won't work, right?... hmmm. The question that I still don't get is why you think that the E11 is not amping enough?

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 3
its not set in stone lol, but ive found the old songs i listen to sound much nicer if there is a pre amp involved.  I dont HAVE to do that, I just want to know how the E9 performs coming from an mp3 player and not a computer.  

I have a custom made fuze lod.  The Lod + the e11 sounds much nicer than just the fuze alone, and as i said some tracks seem to have played a bit nicer with i went fuze > lod > e11 > full size amp.  Im not an amp expert, maybe it has to do with the gain and bass boost abilities of the e11 over the fuze.  

But ya, the basic set up I would like to try would be

Rockboxed fuze > Custom made LOD > E11 > E9 > HD 598

Again in my tests with some other amps out there, the e11 performed magnificently in helping clear up the old tracks I listen to a lot, old jazz songs and such that when I tested without the e11 and directly used the fuze + lod to the larger amp were noticeably less bassy and a bit more distant sounding.  But its not required or anything like that, if the E9 would play those tracks to my liking, I'll get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back