AMP is it worth it?
May 20, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

iscorpio71

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

As melonaniac, audiophile im asking myself is an amp worth it? or should I buy an HiFiMan that already comes preamp!? and has more functions than just an amp... Just a though.

I own UM3X since Nov '09 and just this week got molded for UM56 in vinyl (sudgested by the audiometrist)., let's wait and ear how they come. Meanwhile been reading of the ES5 and wondering how the UM3X and ES5 compare?

Thanks! Njoy

May 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 12
Yes, it is worth it. However, I only noticed a real significant difference when coupled with a source that brings out the best.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Hello :)

Just got a couple of days the Fiio e11 :) and recently added the Sony MDR V6 for longer periods of listening. I've used mostly the V6 with the e11 combo with iPod Classic 80GB 5G and the sound is another level. I'm very satisfied with this little amp and can't imagine higher end amps and cans... Now the question, are they worth the investment?

Been reading and seeing Cans on the high thousands! and amps that double and triple that price., are they really going to sound that much better? I will have to try them and hear. Because Im very impressed with the sound I've already accomplished.

Cheers

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Hello :)

Just got a couple of days the Fiio e11 :) and recently added the Sony MDR V6 for longer periods of listening. I've used mostly the V6 with the e11 combo with iPod Classic 80GB 5G and the sound is another level. I'm very satisfied with this little amp and can't imagine higher end amps and cans... Now the question, are they worth the investment?

Been reading and seeing Cans on the high thousands! and amps that double and triple that price., are they really going to sound that much better? I will have to try them and hear. Because Im very impressed with the sound I've already accomplished.

Cheers

To answer your question, yes.  There was a time when I had the E11 and thought things were pretty fine.  However, then I moved onto vintage receivers and the Objective2 amplifier as well as a hybrid amplifier.  I use each of these, and each has their own special meaning to me and the various genres of music I listen to.  The E11 is an OK amp.  However, it's also amazing what $150 - $200 will get  you.  And, then it's even more amazing what $400 - $500 will get you.  However, with each leap, you have to be careful at watching the rate of diminishing returns.  If you're spending 200% more on your next amp for a 5% performance increase, then that clearly isn't the best move.  However, there are some great amps out there that are worth giving a try.  Also, quite a few of those great amps can be found every now and then on the FS section of the forum here.  When it comes to headphones, it's down to personal preference.  There's a great assortment of headphones in the $300 - $500 range that will be quite pleasing for you and a step up from what you have.  Again, these can also be found in the FS section at discounted prices because people love to upgrade.

Enjoy!

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

To answer your question, yes.  There was a time when I had the E11 and thought things were pretty fine.  However, then I moved onto vintage receivers and the Objective2 amplifier as well as a hybrid amplifier.  I use each of these, and each has their own special meaning to me and the various genres of music I listen to.  The E11 is an OK amp.  However, it's also amazing what $150 - $200 will get  you.  And, then it's even more amazing what $400 - $500 will get you.  However, with each leap, you have to be careful at watching the rate of diminishing returns.  If you're spending 200% more on your next amp for a 5% performance increase, then that clearly isn't the best move.  However, there are some great amps out there that are worth giving a try.  Also, quite a few of those great amps can be found every now and then on the FS section of the forum here.  When it comes to headphones, it's down to personal preference.  There's a great assortment of headphones in the $300 - $500 range that will be quite pleasing for you and a step up from what you have.  Again, these can also be found in the FS section at discounted prices because people love to upgrade.

Enjoy!

Thank You Wje

Definitive I agree 100% and Ill be soon upgrading and continuing the search and fun :) for a even better combo hehe. I would appreciate knowing your experience and recommendation for the possible next leap and yes my guess is that is going to get harder to get greater and greater sound with every leap, no matter how much the cost because there is a finite to audiophile junkies hehe or is there not?
     What Headphones would you recommend? I'm actually looking at the ATM 50, [size=x-small]Denon AD- H7000, Sennheiser HD 600 (or any other open for that matter). Also for the end of year looking for higher end like Seinnheiser HD800 or Beyerdynamic T1 or T5, Audez, Ultrasone or Grados. [/size]
[size=x-small]   Thank you so much for your input., tough decisions I'm glad to make :)[/size]

[size=x-small]Cheers[/size]

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 12
Spend the money on beer and chicks, although you wont get a great deal of either for the price of a Fiio amp. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Spend the money on beer and chicks, although you wont get a great deal of either for the price of a Fiio amp. 

You'd get a decent deal up the Cross for that. 
wink_face.gif

Regarding the OP. Yes, it's worth the upgrade to a higher class amp, I also have the E11 which I'm satisfied with for now. I think the main thing is not to rush into things. If you find something you're enjoying - continue to enjoy that before taking another leap forward. Audio is something that should be built up gradually over time. It's all one big happy adventure of finding what suits you best. 

wje had it summed up in a nutshell. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
You do know what it means for a male to stand near the fountain, dont you ? I guess it depends on what you mean by 'a decent deal'.   
eek.gif

[size=small]The El Alamein fountain, Cant say I know it well however, I'm aware of it's founded purpose from the 80's. I think I'd much prefer a Fiio amp. >_<[/size]

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 12
For many people that just don't have the money but want everything ..basically. The FiiO's are fantastic. iBasso is having problems now adays. Their PB2 and lower series have taken some pretty big hits due to the E17 and E11 and E6. 

FiiO packs features and sound that is universal to a wide audience. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
For many people that just don't have the money but want everything ..basically. The FiiO's are fantastic. iBasso is having problems now adays. Their PB2 and lower series have taken some pretty big hits due to the E17 and E11 and E6. 

Wild speculation - you have absolutely no way of knowing what iBasso's sales figures are. You are basing this entirely on post counts in Fiio threads on Head-Fi. Please dont post this kind of ill-informed crap in future. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back