Amp for Ultrasones pro 900 under $300
Aug 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

conquerator2

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys so I was looking to replace the Fiio E11 with a better amp. I think it is a great amp but there are a few things Id like improved with a better amp:

1) Better instrument separation (not necessarily wider soundstage but it would be a good benefit and might be necessary)
2) Better bass response ( in terms of sub bass if possible)
3) More power (Fiio is okay, but a little more power would be welcome)
4) Doesnt matter if desktop or portable (but would like a 1/8 input and 1/8 output, would like to avoid the twin RCA plugs if possible)
5) A little improvement to the recessed mids and taming the highs if possible (EQ maybe), the latter not necessary 
6) I believe a tube amp wouldnt be a good match with the low impedance pro 900 but if it wouldnt matter I do not oblige

I have the stock cable (for now) and a mini to mini nuforce cable for amp-source connection. Also I have the stock pads
I listen to all sorts of music, usually bass heavy (Pop,Rock,Rap,Hiphop,Numetal,etc)
So to sum it up, under 300 (with shipping to Europe included), improving soundstage/instrument sep., sub bass and the likes.

I know there are many threads about this but most of them reside around cheaper amps so Id rather a more expensive one if the improvement would be worth it.

I was looking at this - http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=c421, with the AD8620 or the Lecketron UHA-4/UHA-6 but Im not sure with which opamp these would go.
Also, I was looking at the objective 2 but Im not sure if it offers good bass response (also not sure if it isnt twin RCA only)

Any other amp suggestions are welcome!

Thanks everybody!

Best regards, Luke

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Hey Luke,

Sorry if I missed it, but what is your source (iPod, laptop etc.).  I'm guessing with the 1/8" input and output that you seek, you are looking for a portable solution?

Hi. Sorry I forgot to mention it :)

Its a Samsung Wave Smartphone (not a strong one bu can provide sufficient power for the E11 as of now)
Also I dont know if in this price range there is one, but an amp that can "override" the internal amp of the smartphone would also be a possibility (I dont know the exact term for it but you know what I mean... I hope :))

Also Im using the Ultrasones for gaming with the PS3 via a different receiver which has a 1/8 input (Headphones-amp-receiver-PS3)
Not necessarily a portable amp tho! just one that can be used with a my phone (practicall meaning the PS3 also)

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Used Heed Canamp.  Heed loves Ultrasones and AKGs.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Used Heed Canamp.  Heed loves Ultrasones and AKGs.

Never heard of that one, more info perhaps?

Other suggestions still welcome!

Thanks

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Hi. Sorry I forgot to mention it :)

Its a Samsung Wave Smartphone (not a strong one bu can provide sufficient power for the E11 as of now)
Also I dont know if in this price range there is one, but an amp that can "override" the internal amp of the smartphone would also be a possibility (I dont know the exact term for it but you know what I mean... I hope :))

Also Im using the Ultrasones for gaming with the PS3 via a different receiver which has a 1/8 input (Headphones-amp-receiver-PS3)
Not necessarily a portable amp tho! just one that can be used with a my phone (practicall meaning the PS3 also)

Thanks!

Hey Luke,

I have been using a couple of A-GD products I recently received with several of my Ultrasones with great results (NFB-15.1 & NFB-16).  Their output impedance is low and they sound great with Ultrasones, Denons etc. with a nice tight full bodied sound.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15/NFB15EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB16/NFB16EN.htm

I use the NFB-16 with my iDevices as well as PC.  I am not familiar with your phone, but keep in mind if you want to amp a DAP or phone, the ideal connection would be via line-out (bypasses internal amp of device).  I don't know if your phone has line out or not so can't comment.  If you connect your phone via headphone out to amp, you are double amping and not receiving a true clean signal.
I would definitely recommend these products, but you have to look at your entire setup to see if it will reap sound improvements via the connections you have available.

Here's a pic of the NFB-16 to give you an example connected to my Touch via line out.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back