Amp for the new DT990...
Sep 22, 2006 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ap3rtis

100+ Head-Fier
Well I posted about the same topic before, but my budget has changed a bit (cursed head-fi), here's my thoughts:
I've been looking at maybe a LDII+ or headfive, but not really sure.
Since the DT990 is bassy, I would at least like the bass to be tight and controlled, not loose and sloppy.
I don't want ear grating treble, but I've heard that shouldn't be a problem with the right amp.
I would also like a smooth and present midrange, but not sure how possible that is with these phones?
tongue.gif

Could you guys recommend anything under the 300$ price range?
And should I worry too much about my source? I mean I could grab a total bithead and cover source and amp, but I'm not too sure. I think I'd rather get a decent amp now, and then upgrade the source, but I'm open for suggestions.

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 19
cmon, I know you wanna help me spend money...
I'm leaning towards the head-five at this point, but looking for alternatives too.

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 19
A little over your price but you could try the WOO Audio amp, or the Eddie Current EC01. Both should work nice with the dt990's.

Last night I was listening to mine on my SP PPX, and they sounded great, I would recommend that, but this amp is likely too far over your budget?

- augustwest

Sep 22, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
Well I posted about the same topic before, but my budget has changed a bit (cursed head-fi), here's my thoughts:
Since the DT990 is bassy, I would at least like the bass to be tight and controlled, not loose and sloppy.
I don't want ear grating treble, but I've heard that shouldn't be a problem with the right amp.
I would also like a smooth and present midrange, but not sure how possible that is with these phones?
tongue.gif

And should I worry too much about my source? I mean I could grab a total bithead and cover source and amp, but I'm not too sure. I think I'd rather get a decent amp now, and then upgrade the source, but I'm open for suggestions.

You'll have a hard time beating the XCAN v3 in that price range (ss + tube hybrid), which you may be able to find for about $250 to $300 in mint condition - with very fast / tight bass. Or, you might try the Ming Da, which has gotten good reviews. But, my guess is you may prefer a hybrid, because it will be more likely to have the controlled bass you're after, although many SET amps can be almost as fast and controlled, depending upon the tubes selected.

Oh yes... the WooAudio 3 is also an excellent choice - with the right tubes it can present fast / tight bass... but, it's typically more than $300.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 19
where would I be able to find an xcan v3 for 250-300? In the FS forums? I'm still kinda leaning towards the head-five because it's nice and compact and good price, and skylab said he thought it was good with the dt990. but i dunno, too many choices
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

tongue.gif

I know this is controversial, but, in my opinion, your tastes in sound for the DT990 will be far more easy to achieve with an equalizer than with picking and choosing among the amplifiers. I have the new DT990 and, with EQ, there is no hint of sloppy bass. Etc. I love the sound of my equalized 990's.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

where would I be able to find an xcan v3 for 250-300? In the FS forums? I'm still kinda leaning towards the head-five because it's nice and compact and good price, and skylab said he thought it was good with the dt990. but i dunno, too many choices
tongue.gif

Yes... just watch the HeadFi For Sale forums, eBay, and Audiogon.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&Submit=Search

You can get the Ming Da at www.pacificvalve.us with a 30 day return policy. You might try it - but, you may have to upgrade the tubes to get the sound you want. If I couldn't exceed $300, and wanted tubes, I think that's the deal I'd go for.

On the other hand... if I could stretch it to $400, and wanted a warm sound with detail and tight bass... I'd probably be getting the Heed CanAmp (SS with great reviews).

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 19
It really is pretty simple. Your new 'phones are terrific Beyers.......and Jan Meier is heart and soul a Beyer kind of guy......hmmm. Wouldn't it make sense to buy from a man with an excellent reputation who designs/builds very desirable amps with Beyer on his mind. Do a search and read about their signature and quality......and they suite your new phones. His website now shows several models on sale. I'm already talking to him about an amp for my ordered 990-05 Manufaktur phones, but need a more powerful amp to also satisfy the voracious k340.

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Another vote for the X-Can V3, or you may want to consider the X-Can V2 at about $175 used.

Miguel, do you prefer the mu-fid amps to the can amp on the beyers?

re the Meier Headfive amp:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
Yes... just watch the HeadFi For Sale forums, eBay, and Audiogon.

these are not yet sold out. why not support our sponsor and buy it direct from him. the used ones save you very little money at this time.

Sep 25, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek
Miguel, do you prefer the mu-fid amps to the can amp on the beyers?

re the Meier Headfive amp:

these are not yet sold out. why not support our sponsor and buy it direct from him. the used ones save you very little money at this time.

I think he was talking about the xcan v3 when he said check out audiogon, ebay etc...
I'm leaning towards the headfive at this point though, because I would prefer something compact and sturdy, whereas tube amps are alot bigger and more of a pain to look after I take it. Since I'll be moving around alot for school, it's nicer to have something that is easier to carry around.

Sep 25, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
It really is pretty simple. Your new 'phones are terrific Beyers.......and Jan Meier is heart and soul a Beyer kind of guy......hmmm. Wouldn't it make sense to buy from a man with an excellent reputation who designs/builds very desirable amps with Beyer on his mind. Do a search and read about their signature and quality......and they suite your new phones. His website now shows several models on sale. I'm already talking to him about an amp for my ordered 990-05 Manufaktur phones, but need a more powerful amp to also satisfy the voracious k340.

The 2005 DT990s sound quite nice on a Corda Aria!
basshead.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #14 of 19
Many of the older beyerdynamic models were designed to sound best when driven by an amplifier having a high output impedance, typically 120 ohms. Some of the Corda amplifiers provide this facility, while other amplifiers can be accommodated with an external adapter that Meier Audio sells as an accessory. I don't know if the latest generation of "upgraded" headphones from beyerdynamic benefit from a high impedance drive.

Dr Meier -- If you are reading this thread, could you please offer your valued opinion on this matter?

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead
Many of the older beyerdynamic models were designed to sound best when driven by an amplifier having a high output impedance, typically 120 ohms. Some of the Corda amplifiers provide this facility, while other amplifiers can be accommodated with an external adapter that Meier Audio sells as an accessory. I don't know if the latest generation of "upgraded" headphones from beyerdynamic benefit from a high impedance drive.

Dr Meier -- If you are reading this thread, could you please offer your valued opinion on this matter?

I believe the only Beyer headphones specificially designed for a 120-ohm output were the DT931/831 series. They were brighter cans that were more balanced with higher-impedance output amps.

I don't think the DT990/880/770 series come under that umbrella. Given their far less-bright signatures, I don't think they would benefit from a higher-impedance output.

Still it doesn't hurt to experiment if you have the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back