Amp for Shure SE535 CLs
Oct 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #16 of 23
As an owner of the SE535 and now the SE846, I started with the Fiio E11 and even though it is only $65 it was a waste of money. Too much hiss and background noise and artifacts introduced into the music. I felt the JDS C5 I demoed was an improvement but I felt the sound was better without an amp.

Then I got the RSA Protector and realized what a great amp can do for the sound. Simply stated, my advice is to avoid an amp (the 535 does not need it) unless you are ready to pay about $500 as to me the cheaper amps are not worth the money.

I agree with Mooses, the ALO continental or international, the RSA Protector or SR-71B, Pico Slim or Portafile 627 are worth amping anything less just is not worth it.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #19 of 23
  Okay! So what would you suggest? The Pico Slim or The Continental?

Hmmm thats a hard one, the pico is a great amp, the continental is also a great amp, as far as the cont is concern are you looking at V1,V2,V3?

personally i think the continental is a excellent but a warmer sounding amp.

i would if going to the pico slim i would try to find the limited edition, although in all reality when you start getting into amps, you go from amp to amp to amp to amp, thats unless you can be satisfied with a amp.

within a year i went from a:
jds labs c421
jds labs c5
ALO Audio MK2
Ibasso p4 warbler
Ibasso pb2 Pelican
RSA SR-71B 

sooooooooo....... lol 

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #21 of 23
  The V3 Continental is the one I would buy. 

Wow that's a lot of amps haha!

V3 is nice, kinda limited through as is doesnt support balanced mode which i personally like. the mk3 B+ is 100 more BUT supports input and output of balanced signals while also supporting single ended cables too.

the v3 vs the mk3b is kind of night and day, the mk3b is a more ''fun'' amp where the v3 is more tube sounding warmer feeling sound signature.

i know it seems like a big jump from 530 to 650 but there are some major gains IMO when comparing the 2.

while we are up in this price range, we can also talk about the RSA SR-71B which is a excellent amp phenomenal sound, and supports in and out balanced mode.....for 50.00 more we can jump up to the intruder which is more or less a sr-71b with a dac.....

........see the rabbit hole.  lol

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 23
While I agree again with Mooses, if you are looking to drive an IEM and want portability, I would also look at the RSA Protector and Lightning. The Protector is a bit cheaper at $475. Both amps are balanced and again as Mooses states and I agree balanced produces zero background noise with enhanced clarity and punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back