Amp for Sennheiser HD800
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #16 of 32
the HD800 is the headphone that i go back to again and again, over the Grados, the LCD2, the and stats. invest in a quality amp and enjoy.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #17 of 32
Has anyone used these on both a solid state and tube amp?  Which works best for these cans?  I was really set on the Woo Audio and there is a lot of conflicting information out there.  Thanks.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 32
I just got the SPL Auditor for the HD800 2day.. It's the same as the Phonitor but without all the good tweaking knobs and fun stuff that the phonitor offers. but in terms of soundquality and power it's the same system..

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #21 of 32

Quote:
I would recommend these SS with Sennheiser HD 800:

1. SPL Phonitor
2. Grace design M902 or M903
3. Violectric V200
4. Lehmann Linear

Quote:
1. Any of the Grace Design (901, M902, M903)
2. SPL Phonitor
3. Benchmark DAC

I really disliked the Grace Designs I've tried with the HD800, I thought they where way to sharp and fatigue.
I would assume the Benchmark is pretty much the same from what I've read.

My pref's so far has been tubes with the HD 800.
Though the Burson does a pretty good job with them.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:Originally Posted by jdegg79 

"Has anyone used these on both a solid state and tube amp?  Which works best for these cans?  I was really set on the Woo Audio and there is a lot of conflicting information out there.  Thanks."

I have the Woo WA6SE and will be getting the WA2 on loan for review. I also have the AMB beta22. I can say that I really like both the Woo and AMB with the HD800.

I'll compare the two Woo amps and see how well they both work with the HD800.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #24 of 32
Headroom BUDA with Balanced 800's.  Amazing combo!

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #27 of 32
After my friend balances my cable, this will be my configuration :)

Quote:
Headroom BUDA with Balanced 800's.  Amazing combo!

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
1. Any of the Grace Design (901, M902, M903)
2. SPL Phonitor
3. Benchmark DAC

+1 on the Benchmark DAC.  I've sold my balanced amp and haven't pulled the trigger on a new one yet, so for the time being I'm running my 800's single-ended off the head amp in my Benchmark DAC-1 Pre, and I'm pleasantly surprised with what I'm hearing.  Not enough to not buy another balanced amp, but it does sound very good.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
I went with a Donald North Audio Sonett.  I read all I could for months to find what amp matched well with the HD800 headphones and decided on tubes, and I was very close to buying a Woo Audio.

But in the end decided that the DNA Sonett was a better option for me at the moment.

http://www.dnaudio.com/

I'm very pleased with the end result.  

Part of my decision for the Sonett was the fact there aren't too many tubes, and I knew I'd get sucked into the tube rolling thing.  And I did, but because there's only two tubes, it's not too painful on my wallet. 

+1 :) eventhough a little bit more expensive..

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #30 of 32

Quote:
+1 on the Benchmark DAC.  I've sold my balanced amp and haven't pulled the trigger on a new one yet, so for the time being I'm running my 800's single-ended off the head amp in my Benchmark DAC-1 Pre, and I'm pleasantly surprised with what I'm hearing.  Not enough to not buy another balanced amp, but it does sound very good.

I would also "second" the Benchmark DAC1 as being a surprisingly good amp for the HD800 (single ended).  Although presently I'm running my own DAC1 USB balanced to a GS-X (which incidentally is an amazing match), before receiving the GS-X I temporarily used the DAC1 amp to drive my HD800s with excellent results.    Out of interest, I have gone back to the DAC1 and compared its headphone amp to the GS-X, and as expected the GS-X was better.  Moreover, the GS-X being a very transparent amp is able to "pass through" nearly all of the positive aspects of the DAC1's sound signature (which the DAC1's own headphone amp is very good at doing as well) while at the same time improving upon dynamic range, imaging and overall frequency balance which are slightly constricted by the DAC1's amp.  

My conclusion is that the Benchmark DAC1 may have been getting short shrift as a worthwhile amp for the HD800s.   I suspect that some of the problems relating to the match-up between the DAC1 and HD800 could be related to the use of the stock cable (I currently use a Cardas cable) which will make the higher frequencies somewhat shrill and unbalanced on a number of amps plus the fact that many people just don't like what has been described as the unforgiving or "cold" character of the DAC1's DAC itself -- which will be apparent in any high quality transparent amp.  This could be personal taste but some people happen to like the DAC1's sound character and amps like the GS-X make it even better.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back