Amp for Sennheiser HD 428 Circumaural Headphones
Aug 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FFF92

New Head-Fier
Hi! Newcomer here, hunting for some good an advice on a decent entry-level amp I can purchase for my Sennheiser HD 428s. I'm looking for the best value, sub $100 if possible. Really, the question is whether I'll see an improvement by using one. The impedance is 32 ohms, so I tend to think they'll be plenty loud, but I'd like to make sure. Until recently, I had no idea enthusiasts even used amplifiers for home listening, but if there's a benefit, I'm all in.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 15
Personally I don't think there would be that much of an improvement if you use an amp with those. I mean you'll see some improvements (louder, maybe more detail?), but with an impedence of 32 ohms it might not be wholly necessary. I have the HD429s which are almost the same as yours, same impedence, and they play just fine from my phone, computer, or iPod. I'm getting an amp soon though, for my other headphones, but I can try them w/ the HD 429s so I can tell you how it differs, if you can wait like a week haha.

I'm getting the Fiio E11 which has gotten very good reviews here on head-fi and around the net. It goes for about 50-60 USD.

There are plenty of sub $100 amps out there that are good, and here are two articles comparing various sub $100 portable amps:

1)  http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

2)  http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

Both are very good write-ups!

Cheers!

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 15
What is your source? I doubt you would see much improvement, maybe if your on a PC a basic ASUS Xonar DG would be a good step up. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 15
@FCO2013: Thanks for the help, man! I'll be waiting patiently to hear your opinion on that amp.

@WiR3D: Yes, I'm using a Sony Vaio VPCSC41fm/s running Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Do you think there would be a lot of noise from this souce? I use iTunes, and my music is encoded as AAC at 320 Kbps. Also, I'm usually running multiple programs when I listen, if that helps.

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
@FCO2013: Thanks for the help, man! I'll be waiting patiently to hear your opinion on that amp.

@WiR3D: Yes, I'm using a Sony Vaio VPCSC41fm/s running Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Do you think there would be a lot of noise from this souce? I use iTunes, and my music is encoded as AAC at 320 Kbps. Also, I'm usually running multiple programs when I listen, if that helps.

laptops = bad source 98% of the time. 

The Asus though is not a practical solution being a PCI based card. 

A portable external DAC/amp combo sounds like what your after, more for the dac then the amp. 

in short Fiio E10. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 15
I definitely need something budget-minded, but not cheap, so that amp looks like a good fit for me. But could you tell me more about DACs? I don't really understand what they do to help. If I understand correctly, the e10 handles the processing of the audio, isolating it from the computer noise, and the amp allows me to control how much joice my headphone is getting, in order to achieve higher volume for quiet headhpones with a higher impedance. Am I grasping this?

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
I definitely need something budget-minded, but not cheap, so that amp looks like a good fit for me. But could you tell me more about DACs? I don't really understand what they do to help. If I understand correctly, the e10 handles the processing of the audio, isolating it from the computer noise, and the amp allows me to control how much joice my headphone is getting, in order to achieve higher volume for quiet headhpones with a higher impedance. Am I grasping this?

not 100%, amps provide more volume, but also provide better drivability (more voltage, more voltage swing, more current) depending on the amp and the headphones. 

The E10 is a budget DAC + AMP that is transportable. Which is perfect for laptops. The E10 performs well for its price, upgrading will cost atleast 3x the price, and IMHO won't matter too much with your headphones.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 15
If you do want to invest more into those headphones (I have the same ones, they're pretty good I think) get a Fiio E10, because an amp alone doesn't help much with them, the DAC does though. Grab an E10, that will improve them a bit, then invest in some more expensive cans as a next step. You could also try the bass mod on them if they don't have enough. 1 port open and the other 2 closed gives it a bit more oomph without it sounding boomy.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 15
Well Amazon took their sweet time to even ship it, so it's getting to me around next Wednesday now, instead of today like I hoped. If you don't mind waiting a little bit longer for my impression, I'll be happy to give it when it arrives.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 15
Aug 25, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 15
Heya,

The HD428 doesn't need amplification at all. It won't sound better. And that's not to confuse higher volume with improved quality; but psychologically people tend agree that higher volume sounds better in general (but this is not actually true). Your current source is a laptop chipset. Ideally you wouldn't want to use that. But then again, it's not ideal to get a DAC/AMP for an entry level budget headphone either when you consider the DAC/AMP will cost the same or more than the actual headphone.

If you want a real quality increase, I would save that money you're looking to spend, and then save a little more on top of it, and simply get a better headphone.

The Fiio E10 would be an excellent addition to anyone's audio arsenal that doesn't already have better if using a computer as a source. But ultimately the best thing you can do is simply get a better headphone. For example, for $140, you could go up to the Brainwavz HM5 or for more, a Beyer DT770 in the sub $200 arena. You'll notice a difference with that change more than adding a new DAC or AMP to an HD428.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #14 of 15
For what it's worth, I got my E11 a few days ago, and I tried it with my 429s, and the two main things I noticed after listening to it (MP3 320 > Phone > E11 > cans) was that soundstage improved, and I could hear details I did not notice before. Now, I use these for my higher impedence cans, but I think if you have the spare money, since it's fairly cheap, I would pick one up anyway. It could also be helpful down the road if you do buy a headphone with a higher impedence.

Cheers.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 15
I recently got one myself HD 428, and after listening for a week, I like the sound and isolation but feel its a bit quiet.
I use a thinkpad laptop, is it the source or the headphones need some breaking in before they get to their potential.
And I understand amping wouldnt help much with these cans.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back