Amp for M50
Jan 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Heatley

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying a pair of M50's and I wanted some suggestions on a headphone amp and DAC as I'm new to the Head-Fi scene. I'm not looking for a top of the line audiophile set-up. Just an upgrade from my Studio Beats (I know I'll get ripped on this). I'll be using my computer as the source and I have a good sound card already, so I assume I just need a DAC and headphone amp. Am I correct? Also, where can I download lossless music? Even iTunes music is only 256 kbps and that costs $1 a song.

Thanks

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 33
Mostly, I'm just buying an amp and DAC for future use when I become more experienced with high-end sound quality. I'm just curious about the sound difference and I hope it would broaden my understanding of headphones. Better to experience it yourself then read a written review, but for now I'm open to all suggestions. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 33
fiio e7 for now,  Add a e9 when you start to adventure into mid-fi and at that point, you should have enough experience to get into the more exotic and know which direction in term of sound signature you want to go with etc.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 33
I was just looking at the e7. I think I'll go with that. Thanks. How should I become more experienced with headphones, amps, DAC's, and all the other stuff? I'm thinking just troll around the forums... I just have that one last question: Where do I download lossless music? I'm so frustrated trying to find it online. I really don't feel like buying the CD's then burning them, as I usually only like 1 song off each album. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 33

Quote:
I was just looking at the e7. I think I'll go with that. Thanks. How should I become more experienced with headphones, amps, DAC's, and all the other stuff? I'm thinking just troll around the forums... I just have that one last question: Where do I download lossless music? I'm so frustrated trying to find it online. I really don't feel like buying the CD's then burning them, as I usually only like 1 song off each album. 

Well, you still have the best selection if you buy the CD and rip the files you like. 
But I hear what you're saying -- lot's of releases may only have a couple of tracks that you like. It is possible that you could resell the CD, also.

HDTracks is currently offers one of the best selections, so I'd start there. 
I believe Rhino also has an online store.  There are a number of online shops that specialize in classical -- e.g. DGG.

On the question of amping the M50s, you can get clearer sound, including a slightly tighter bass, with an amp.  But as others mention, don't expect a large improvement, but rather
a subtle one.

I often use a portable amp with the M50 since it allows me to use an LOD from my iPod -- and that is also a worthwhile
improvement.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 33
Meh. Well I guess I'll have to buy all those CD's then. I think I'll start with a portable e7. I found one on Ebay that comes with a LOD. I think it will cost about $250 after the amp, LOD, and m50s. I'm more worried about the price of all my CD's though. I think I'll start out with only my favourite albums. Also, whats the difference between 
http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/sendstation-ipod-pocket-dock-line-out-mini-usb.php
and 
http://cgi.ebay.ca/IPOD-IPHONE-LINE-OUT-DOCK-LOD-Silver-Plated-Copper-/260556032128?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3caa598880#ht_3373wt_1139

Are they both LOD's? The first has an audio jack, but the second doesn't. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 33
Although I'm not against buying a cheap DAC/AMP, I'm not sure how much of a difference it's going to be for the M50. If there is one, it'd be minimal. I'd save that money towards a even better DAC/AMP combo down the line when you plan to get even better headphones.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 33
If the OP can tell the difference between a 256 kbs mps and a flac file with the M50s I'll be very impressed, actually I'll be shocked. I have trouble doing that with e7/e9 powered D5000 (can't tell the difference between 320 kbps mp3 and flac) and with my M50 anything past 198kbs sounds the same. Just saying that I don't think its worth you time or money to be re-buying music you already own so you can rip it to flac. 

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't Apple sell Apple Lossless in the itunes store?

Nope you can only buy in AAC 256 kbps. However, as iPods do not play all lossless file types, you can convert a FLAC file to Apple Lossless when importing into your music library. Thats what I have gathered after some research.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 33
Some of the music I downloaded is 128 kbps. I can hear the flaws in that with my Beats Studio... That being said, most of the low quality music is compiled of songs that I don't like as much as others. I'll probably be buying about 5 CDs when my m50s arrive. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 33

Quote:

The first item, the Sendstation, comes with mini to mini and mini to rca cables that you plug in.  They have a picture of this, just below the main picture.  This gives a bit more flexibility with the 2 cable options.

The eBay item comes with a single dock-to-mini connector hardwired   For myself I like the hardwired option, since there is less individual items to carry around, get lost, etc.  I can't say if the silver coated copper will give you a different sound or not.

Either should get you where you want to go.  Being able to use LOD is one of the main reasons to have a portable amp for the M50s IMO. 

But you know.... you can just buy the headphones and try them out directly from the sources you'll be using it with.  If you like the way it sounds, then you have less stuff to worry about.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back