Amp for Hifiman HE-400
Jun 21, 2014 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tanner116

100+ Head-Fier
Before you shoot me, know that I have read through most of the other threads with similar titles. I found the information really scant, so I decided to ask the question myself. 

My current setup is as follows: iPhone 4s -> FiiO LOD -> PA2v2 -> Hifiman HE-400/Beyerdynamic DT990

I have looked at the O2, and love its reviews and style, but if there is a significant improvement to it below $200, I would be very convinced to check it out. Or, if you think the O2 is a good enough amp to drive these very well, tell me that, too. Or maybe I need to spend way more than $200 to get a noticable improvement over my PA2v2. I really don't know. Help me out!

Thank you all so much. I love and hate this hobby, but mostly love. Have a great day!

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm going to quote someone whom I think explains this really well about the O2/C5 pairing with the HE-400. (I too have an HE-400 and I love it!)

"The C5 is easily the best of the batch. I know you didn't consider it, but I think the O2 is the best sounding amp in its price range, portable, transportable, or not by no small margin. Either the O2 or C5 would be a phenomenal choice to pair with the HE-400, which is fairly easy to drive compared to some other orthos. If you end up getting more power hungry headphones, I would take the O2 over the C5, as insane output wasn't one of the design goals of the C5. The C5 has a digital pot too, which is just awesome for sensitive phones." - tintin220

EDIT: See Also the Sub-200 Portable Amp Shootout!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared

And in my opinion, with upgrading your amp, there would be quite a difference especially when you are changing from a PA2V2 :).

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 15
Since I bought it a while ago, I've absolutely loved the Schiit Audio Vali with EVERYTHING. Unfortunately all I have right now are some modded D2000's, Beyerdynamic DT770 Premiums (250 ohms), Shure SE215, and Westone W3s, so anything I'd tell you would be completely based off of memory. The Vali sounded great with my Q701, HD650, Beyer DT880, LCD XC, and quite a few of my other cans (all of which are recently sold). I'd suggest giving it a try paired with the Schiit Modi or ODAC.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 15
  Since I bought it a while ago, I've absolutely loved the Schiit Audio Vali with EVERYTHING. Unfortunately all I have right now are some modded D2000's, Beyerdynamic DT770 Premiums (250 ohms), Shure SE215, and Westone W3s, so anything I'd tell you would be completely based off of memory. The Vali sounded great with my Q701, HD650, Beyer DT880, LCD XC, and quite a few of my other cans (all of which are recently sold). I'd suggest giving it a try paired with the Schiit Modi or ODAC.

Oh god I totally forgot about schiit amps haha. But I'm assuming OP might want a portable amp :frowning2:.

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 15
Portable or desktop. It's all for home use. Also, thank you for the responses! And I'll do some fishing in that thread.

Then go for the desktop amps. They will typically have more power than most portable amps, and you might want that should you decide to crank up the HE-400s from time to time. The O2 is sort of an exception to this. Of course it's more transportable than really portable.

O2 would make a lot of sense her for home use over say the Schiit Magni or Vali given that you are hooking it to your phone. Better, IMO, for picking up your amp and phone and listening to it in different rooms in the house :)

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 15
Sounds like the O2 is the all-around way to go. Do amps need burn-in? Thank you for the help! I'll be sure to talk about my impressions when I purchase it. 

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Not in my opinion, though some might disagree.

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 15
Sounds like the O2 is the all-around way to go. Do amps need burn-in? Thank you for the help! I'll be sure to talk about my impressions when I purchase it. 

Hmmmmmmmm... I'm not sure the O2 and the DT 990 or HE 400 will, oh wait nvm

yea do get the O2 :3

how ever, the Schiit Vali and DT 990 sound heavenly, for the HE 400 I'd imagine the sound would be eqaully as OMG awesome... but the O2 does move around ur home... still .... I'd go for the Vali, Imo the Val for $120 sounded better than JDS Labs C5 [MUCH better imo] the same goes for the Matrix M Stage [LME 49990 OP amps as well in that] and like everything I owned beofore my NFB10ES2, my point is for $135 [with shipping] the vali sounds AMAZING, the O2 is pretty standard sound wise, nothing special imo. The Vali is how ever SPECIAL :3 

I've yet to forget how impressed I was with the sound 

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 15
  Hmmmmmmmm... I'm not sure the O2 and the DT 990 or HE 400 will, oh wait nvm

yea do get the O2 :3

how ever, the Schiit Vali and DT 990 sound heavenly, for the HE 400 I'd imagine the sound would be eqaully as OMG awesome... but the O2 does move around ur home... still .... I'd go for the Vali, Imo the Val for $120 sounded better than JDS Labs C5 [MUCH better imo] the same goes for the Matrix M Stage [LME 49990 OP amps as well in that] and like everything I owned beofore my NFB10ES2, my point is for $135 [with shipping] the vali sounds AMAZING, the O2 is pretty standard sound wise, nothing special imo. The Vali is how ever SPECIAL :3 

I've yet to forget how impressed I was with the sound 

I heard the Vali had some hiss/noise but then again, i've never heard the vali and I've been spoilt by having a really dark/quiet background haha.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 15
Hybrid tube amps like the Vali are a matter of personal tastes. A regular solid state amp aims towards transparency/accuracy. A hybrid tube amp adds a little tube sound (but not the same as a full tube amp) by adding what some people consider pleasurable distortion to the analog signal. It's not for everyone. I don't personally care for hybrid amps. Some people do.

One other benefit of tube amps is that people like is that you can change the tubes (aka "tube rolling") to tweak the sound to better fit the headphones you use with it and your personal listening tastes. Unfortunately, the Vali does not allow you to do that because the tube is soldered in.

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 15

I heard the Vali had some hiss/noise but then again, i've never heard the vali and I've been spoilt by having a really dark/quiet background haha.

Hybrid tube amps like the Vali are a matter of personal tastes. A regular solid state amp aims towards transparency/accuracy. A hybrid tube amp adds a little tube sound (but not the same as a full tube amp) by adding what some people consider pleasurable distortion to the analog signal. It's not for everyone. I don't personally care for hybrid amps. Some people do.

One other benefit of tube amps is that people like is that you can change the tubes (aka "tube rolling") to tweak the sound to better fit the headphones you use with it and your personal listening tastes. Unfortunately, the Vali does not allow you to do that because the tube is soldered in.

Well what I found was teh Vali sounded substantially better than many of the "warm" solid states I've tried, I compared the Vali to my NFB10ES2 and it wasn't as much of a slaughter as I thought it would b, the Vali should nice dynamics, moderate tube sound [just enough imo] and for me it was well worth the money I spent. For the 250 Ohm DT 990 you won't hear the hiss, not sure  about the HE 400, it might not be sensitive enough to pick up on it, but it might

still though the O2 is a good amp, but for the "brigt" ness some ppl complain about the HE 400 and DT 990, the Vali does a nice job smoothing that out, and what Cel said is right, solid states aim for a neutral sound, but your using two "colored" headphones, headphones with a touch extra bass and treble, there for the Vali which has a mild Mid centric sound, should balance it out, more so for the DT 990 than the HE 400, as the HE 400 has a very subdued upper mid response... of which only an EQ or Mods can fix 

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #15 of 15
Tanner,
Check out the Schiit amps. I am about ready to buy the Asgard 2. Email Jason Stoddard directly here. He will give you the straight scoop.

The Asgard 2 would also be a nice choice for the HE-400s. Although definitely not an amp you want to move around the house. :)

To me, the sound is a bit better over the O2. Better ergonomics with the larger volume knob and the cable connections in the back. The pre-amp outputs are very handy if you think you might want to one day move to having a set of speakers, too--that alone would make it worth price difference over the O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back