Amp for HD650 with Dacmagic
Dec 27, 2012 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

reverbs

New Head-Fier
I just recently bought HD650 and I was thinking to upgrade my amp, my usual set-up is the following:
Imac -> Dacmagic (through optical out) -> Creek OBH 11 with OBH 2 PSU -> HD650.

I am wondering which amp should I use to replace my Creek OBH 11 with OBH 2 PSU. I listen to pretty much everything and I am looking an amp that will bring out the full potential of HD650.

I read from the forum and considering either Schiit Asgard or Valhalla, Bottlehead Crack OTL, Burson 160D, little dot or any other recommendation? Thanks for your response.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 8
Just a question:
Have you ever heard a tube amp?
They do sound quite different, sometimes warmer, sometimes they can add a sense of space.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm just pointing this out because the OP listed a fair few tube amps.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 8
I normally listen to Jazz, Vocal and Instrumental. My questions is I don't mind with the sound produced by the Dacmagic which is more musical and create sort of echoing/adding an extra space effect.
Should I run tube amp straight without Dacmagic, I know that tube amp will add a sense of space?
Also, is the Schiit Valhalla is limited by Schiit tube production? I never use tube amp before but it seems that Bottlehead Crack will allow the user to use more varieties of tubes?

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm using a Bottlhead Crack/Speedball, DacMagic and HD600s. And think it is is perfect for jazz. My music preference also.
My source is a Macbook with Bitperfect. You may want to try USB to the DacMagic too. See how it sounds to you.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 8
If you want to use your Dacmagic as a dac, the burson HA-160 is good match for the HD6xx headphones, even the HD800 which sounded fine. If you want a 2 on 1 unit, try the 160Ds. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back