Amp for HD 800 and TH 900?
Jul 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JoeinLA

New Head-Fier
I have the Fostex TH 900 through a HeadRoom Desktop Amp (Max'ed), and am VERY happy with the combo.  Edit: with Desktop DAC combo.

I've heard the HD 800's and will be picking up a pair - not as a replacement to the TH 900, but a complement (the two sound too different to really put as a "vs").

I would love to get your opinions of an amp that I could use for both headphones that would do them justice.  If the Headroom Desktop Amp is sufficient, that's great - I'm not looking to replace that, either, as I'm currently quite satisfied with it.  I did, however, listen to the HD 800's through a tube amp (WA2), and was very, very impressed at the time, so I'm wondering if I should buy a tube amp just for the HD 800's.  I've also heard the Burson Conductor and was very impressed, but I listened to that with the TH 900's only.

Primarily listening will be through my PC via FLAC/WAV/lossless with a Creative Titanium HD (feel free to suggest upgrades).  Edit: through optical out to Desktop DAC/Amp (i.e., not using the soundcard DAC, at least as I understand it).

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 17
Beta22 is an excellent amp for sennheisers hd 800, the most valued feature of b22 in my opinion is the bass, it's incredible. If possible you should attend one of the meets to let your ears decide whats best for you.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
Beta22 is an excellent amp for sennheisers hd 800, the most valued feature of b22 in my opinion is the bass, it's incredible. If possible you should attend one of the meets to let your ears decide whats best for you.

Be careful on the B22 build. Might have too much noise floor for the TH-900s. My $ would be on the GS-X / GS-X MKII.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 17
IMO get tubes for the HD800. Have not heard an SS amp that can compete.

DNA Stratus or ECP Audio L-2 works great with both these headphones.
The Stratus is very versatile and power pretty much any dynamic headphone except perhaps the beast HE-6.
You can always tube roll to match these two headphones till your perfect sound. Check out the Stratus thread for advice.

Personally I take the Stratus. You have to wait a little for it though.
There is a Swedish saying that goes something like this: The one who wait for something special, cant wait too long! (or something like that..)

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 17
Try Violectric V200. I found that it work quite well with both TH900 and HD800. It also works very well with other low impedence headphones like the Audio Technica W series.
If you are just after an amp for HD800 then the Phonitor is very good, but it is not as good with TH900.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 17
Wow..........Me thinks now this bloke is totally confused........
size]

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 17
+1 on the ZDSE or Stratus, if you can wait and can afford them.

if not the WA2 would certainly be an excellent choice for the HD 800s. be prepared to buy some nice NOS tubes as upgrades. 

the TH-900 work well out of the WA2 as well since they are very sensitive, but would required a DAC with high gain to get enough drive, otherwise, another amp would be better. i think the ZDSE would be the best option for both headphones (i am planning to buy a ZDSE myself whenever i have the money as an end-game solution to both).

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

The Beta 22 is an excellent amp in general, but I think it's an extremely poor match for the HD 800. Both of them do much better with other gear.

Quote:
Be careful on the B22 build. Might have too much noise floor for the TH-900s. My $ would be on the GS-X / GS-X MKII.

A solid bet, the GS-X.  That's a much better match, and just about an ideal headphone amp for these phones.

Quote:
DNA Stratus or ECP Audio L-2 works great with both these headphones.

I've not heard the stratus with the HD 800s yet, though I'm sure it's an excellent amp.  

The ECP L2 is, in my opinion and that of others, the end all be all for these headphones.  Brilliantly constructed by our own DSavitsk, it's a model of what it possible in headphone amp design.  If you want superlative performance with the HD800 (or Grados, apparently), you need to check it out.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 17
Eddie Current's ZDSE
Violectric V200
Woo's WA2 
Head Amp's GSX-MK2

These are all great choices and are not in any particular order. My personal choice if it was up to me would be to go tube if possible. There is something magical about the rolling experience keep in mind it is not for everyone so you should try to audition these units at local meet up's if possible. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Eddie Current's ZDSE
Violectric V200
Woo's WA2 
Head Amp's GSX-MK2

These are all great choices and are not in any particular order. My personal choice if it was up to me would be to go tube if possible. There is something magical about the rolling experience keep in mind it is not for everyone so you should try to audition these units at local meet up's if possible. 

Yeah, I wouldn't put the WA2 on this list. The WA22 would be a better solution for both cans.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't put the WA2 on this list. The WA22 would be a better solution for both cans.

WA2 isn't good for TH-900. though with GEC 6AS7G, its great with HD 800. (i did not like hd 800s until i bought these tubes)

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 17
I had listened a WA2 with stock tubes.  It was alright for HD800 and terrible for low impedence headphones (I can't remember whether I was using a TH900 or ATH-W3000ANV). But I think it really shine with a T1.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

WA2 isn't good for TH-900. though with GEC 6AS7G, its great with HD 800. (i did not like hd 800s until i bought these tubes)

For the $, there were better options that's all. If one already own the WA2, then I'd say you're good. But if someone was looking for an amp to drive both the HD800 and TH-900, I'd go with the WA22 (if one is going with a Woo amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back