Amp for Grado SR225!?
Feb 2, 2008 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

n4k33n

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought some sr225's, and I really like them. The only problem is that my current amp is a PPAv2 and is really more geared torward my Sennheisers. Apparently, the PPA just doesn't like low impedence headphones. I really want to listen to the new grados with an amp though - so I've decided to maybe get a new one.

I'm not totally convinced on the grados yet, and I want to give them a fair shake, so I'd like to get a half decent amp for them. I don't want to spend too much money though, I just can't afford anything outlandish. Would something like the mini3 be a good choice? Can it deal with low impedence cans better than my PPAv2?

I was also looking at the Millet Max. They are pretty sexy looking... heh, and I might consider paying a little more for one if its a good match. I prefer to get a builder to make me a DIY design if I can, unless there is something that really sticks out.

Suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 14
Give the Little Dot Mk series amps a serious look, they are a better value than DIY amps in my opinion being that Little Dot gets steeply discounted bulk OEM prices on their premium parts (and they do have some very nice parts in their amps) and also they make them in southern china where wages are cheap so they amps are a great value. The circuit design is up-to-date as well unlike some of the DIY amp designs that are 20 years old (if you paid attention to HeadRoom products you'll know how quickly technology advances in this field). After sales service is top rate with Little Dot as well, something you don't always get from commissioned DIYers. Not to mention a large community of Little Dot owners here on the forums and several lively discussion threads on tube rolling.

About impedance matching, the Mk series amps have 4 gain settings, that's right, 4. So you'll be sure that the amp will function optimally with anything from 32 to 300 ohms.

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 14
Your one "sure bet" is the Grado RA-1 A/C version (to avoid the battery hassle) - it makes Grados sound wonderful. You can pick one up from "the right" vendor for about $350.

Forget about its technology, or "how cheaply its made" - and just accept the fact that few amps sound better with Grados - certainly for that price.

You may find others that sound as good - but, most of them will cost much more, and you'll "go through a few" before you find just the amp you like. Why waste the time?

On the other hand, if you're after a portable - keep looking.

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your one "sure bet" is the Grado RA-1 A/C version (to avoid the battery hassle) - it makes Grados sound wonderful. You can pick one up from "the right" vendor for about $350.

Forget about its technology, or "how cheaply its made" - and just accept the fact that few amps sound better with Grados - certainly for that price.

You may find others that sound as good - but, most of them will cost much more, and you'll "go through a few" before you find just the amp you like. Why waste the time?

Because the RA1 is a CMOY in a $300 case.

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 14
RA-1 is a CMOY in a $30 case for $300
wink.gif

But theres something cool about it,like the headphones.

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 14
225s sounded pretty good out of my CMoy. That would be a pretty low-risk investment.

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 14
I've been using my 225s with my Headsix for a while now and like many others, I think they synergize wonderfully. I havent used any other amps besides Meier amps so I cannot comment on those. But you may want to look into Meier Audio's new line of portable amps. I believe the Headsix $165 (if it is still available) or the XXS $195 would fit the budget. I know this may sound weird to you but I prefer the 225s out of my Headsix than my Cantate.
confused.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give the Little Dot Mk series amps a serious look, they are a better value than DIY amps in my opinion being that Little Dot gets steeply discounted bulk OEM prices on their premium parts (and they do have some very nice parts in their amps) and also they make them in southern china where wages are cheap so they amps are a great value. The circuit design is up-to-date as well unlike some of the DIY amp designs that are 20 years old (if you paid attention to HeadRoom products you'll know how quickly technology advances in this field). After sales service is top rate with Little Dot as well, something you don't always get from commissioned DIYers. Not to mention a large community of Little Dot owners here on the forums and several lively discussion threads on tube rolling.

About impedance matching, the Mk series amps have 4 gain settings, that's right, 4. So you'll be sure that the amp will function optimally with anything from 32 to 300 ohms.

I don't agree.

DIY amps are some of the best in the business. Sure, some of the circuits aren't 2008 designs, but then again, hardly any tube circuits are. Most basic designs were developed in the 1930s and progress stagnated in the 1960s when the transistor showed up. Age is not important and tube amplifier designs haven't progressed much in 40 years. The new class D amps are interesting and recent, but they sure don't use tubes. Lots of interesting chips, too, but no development of new tubes at all. If you're looking for advancement in the audio industry, it's all in the digital realm. CDPs, DACs, DAPs, and that sort of thing. Not something with tubes originally designed in 1948. Not that the old stuff is bad. Much of it is excellent, which is why we still use it.

Don't mistake product changes for genuine development. Marketing requires changes every year or two. You can *always* find something to tweak and trumpet as the BEST EVER! Until 18 months later when a new BEST EVER! shows up, and the previous BEST EVER! becomes irrelevant. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Be careful with the inexpensive amps. Despite cheap labor, the most important, most critical and most expensive parts are the transformers. I have not been impressed with Chinese iron that shows up on eBay. I simply pay whatever Hammond, Plitron or Electra-Print want. They are worth it. Transformer winding is still expensive and a bit of a black art - it pays to use a company that knows what they're doing and doesn't use shoddy materials.

That being said, you might want to look into the Dickman Amp, as found in Vacuum Tube Valley No. 16. I built this about 18 months ago and have been very happy with it. About $200-$250 in parts and a relatively straightforward build with tasty 6SN7s on output.

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 14
I bought a DIY Pint a few months ago from Fallen Angel on the F/S forums and it works beautifully with my SR 225's. He has another one for sale right now, don't know if it's exactly the same but search for it on thr amps for sale section and check it out. Think I paid $75 for mine and it was a bargain at that price.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 14
The RA-1 does sound better with Grados... than a CMoy - at least better than mine (MaxiMoy). The RA-1 has richer, more delicate sound with less stridency - though... not much. But... I do think it sounds enough better to spend the extra money on the RA-1, if you can.

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 14
225's have a wonderful synergy with the old GoVibe V5 - worth doing a search on here. I use the combination a lot and really like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back