Amp for Etymotic er-4s.
Jul 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:
Rob, which of Xin's amps do you have with a problem? I could not fix it but I know someone who might be coaxed into trying.

If you want a MiniBox ES amp shoot me a pm I have one that you could borrow for a couple of weeks to see if it is your cup of tea or not.

I have the Supermini III - have you heard that one? I really liked the size and sound especially with the Etys, but there may be better stuff out there now (also the super small size isn't as important to me now). I just haven't kept up with the new stuff. Let me know if you can offer a comparison even if its off of memory (if you've heard the the Supermini). Anyway, I really appreciate your offer to borrow the MB or  possibly have the Xin repaired
smile.gif
- I'll let you know.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #17 of 25
I had the same Xin amp and regretted getting rid of that little thing.  Most portable amps nowadays has some Li-Ion battery that requires a charger and/or USB cable with power source for recharging.  I agree the Xin sounded great and AAA are impossible not to find.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #18 of 25
Not only that but the AAA batteries would last a ridiculous amount of time before needing to be replaced.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

I have the Supermini III - have you heard that one? I really liked the size and sound especially with the Etys, but there may be better stuff out there now (also the super small size isn't as important to me now). I just haven't kept up with the new stuff. Let me know if you can offer a comparison even if its off of memory (if you've heard the the Supermini). Anyway, I really appreciate your offer to borrow the MB or  possibly have the Xin repaired
smile.gif
- I'll let you know.

Yes, I listened to it as well as a previous version. My biggest issue with it was that you had to be careful when carrying the amp in your pocket to not accidentally increase the volume. To prevent this you can use a toothpick to "lock the volume knob" 
wink.gif
. Its sound was fine but IMO the Supermacro was better as well as the Reference. At the time it was the 2nd smallest amp with the Supermicro being the smallest and the BEST sounding amp, IMO of course.

However due to size and 1/4" as well as 1/8" output my favorite Xin amp was and remains the Reference with the C5 or the D5 board (have both as well as all the previous versions A through D in the 1 to 5 iterations). Another great one was the Supermacro III Version 6.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #22 of 25
^ Let us know what you think when you get a chance to listen.
Quote:
Yes, I listened to it as well as a previous version. My biggest issue with it was that you had to be careful when carrying the amp in your pocket to not accidentally increase the volume. To prevent this you can use a toothpick to "lock the volume knob" 
wink.gif
. Its sound was fine but IMO the Supermacro was better as well as the Reference. At the time it was the 2nd smallest amp with the Supermicro being the smallest and the BEST sounding amp, IMO of course.

However due to size and 1/4" as well as 1/8" output my favorite Xin amp was and remains the Reference with the C5 or the D5 board (have both as well as all the previous versions A through D in the 1 to 5 iterations). Another great one was the Supermacro III Version 6.

Thanks for the comparisons! Since there are better than the Supermini from your comparison, it may just be time to get a new amp and possibly see if I can fix my broken Supermini for backup, when and if I get around to it. Till then, my Ety HF3 straight out of the iPhone is serving me well.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #23 of 25
Should I be looking at the Headstage Arrow 3G or 4G for my ER-4B? I'll also probably use it with my IE8s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back