Amp for Etymotic er-4s.
Jul 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Anthonyp61296

New Head-Fier
I would like to know what the best portable amp for the er-4s is.  I love ety phones for their accuracy and detail, so I would like an amp that is equally good in that respect.  I don't want an amp that colors the phones without any other settings active, just one that allows them to play well on a portable source.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 25
I've found the Arrow to be the best.  You don't need to tweak the settings much, just bump up the bass to the middle setting.  I had basically shelved my Etymotics before I got the Arrow.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 25
The Xin Supermini III was the best I've heard them with as far as portable is concerned. But there should be plenty of others that will do them justice without ruining their sound.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 25
Yes Dr. Xin's amps were always my favourite for the ER4 line. My fatty Nano plus SuperMini-IV was a super rig

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 25
I have heard that the Xins are the best, but are essentially impossible to get in a short amount of time.  Can anyone tell me something that is on par, but can be gotten without a long wait? If not, I will just try to get a Xin.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 25
^Good luck finding one. Yes, it's impossible to get one new. The C421 with AD8620 sounds really good with etys. The two Xin amps I owned did color the sound and added a lot of warmth. So, it sounds like you want a amp high on the transparency field.  I've heard the Pico Slim and was quite impressed by it.

I would also add the Centrance Dacport to your list.

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 25
Thanks for that answer. As I said, my main concern is having the clarity and accuracy that Etymotics are made for.  I have heard of Pico amps being good for accuracy, so those might be a good choice.  If anyone else has an answer before I decide, that would be great.  Thanks.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 25
The MiniBox E+ also worked very well with ER4, don't know about the current ES model

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:
I've found the Arrow to be the best.  You don't need to tweak the settings much, just bump up the bass to the middle setting.  I had basically shelved my Etymotics before I got the Arrow.

Exactly my experience... the Arrow transforms these IEMs, now with lots of hard hitting bass without any bloat and you retain that amazing midrange and detail.  In fact, I am selling of my Westone UM3Xs... with this amp the ER4s blow the Westones out of the water.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 25
The Minibox E+ is ok, but the Arrow is much better.  The Arrow is better built and more reliable too.  I sold off my E+ once I got the Arrow.

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 25
^ Good to know because my Xin is probably dead unless I can reroute a connection that has come loose (complicated and tiny).

Having the ER4S, I may have to go for the MiniBox ES - currently using the Grado RA-1 which is big and doesn't seem to have the best synergy... but isn't bad either.

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 25
Rob, which of Xin's amps do you have with a problem? I could not fix it but I know someone who might be coaxed into trying.

If you want a MiniBox ES amp shoot me a pm I have one that you could borrow for a couple of weeks to see if it is your cup of tea or not.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 25
Rob, which of Xin's amps do you have with a problem? I could not fix it but I know someone who might be coaxed into trying.

If you want a MiniBox ES amp shoot me a pm I have one that you could borrow for a couple of weeks to see if it is your cup of tea or not.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back