Amp for DT990
Aug 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bassfreek

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have creative sound blaster z and am looking to purchase the DT990 Premium 250ohm but not sure about what amp to get. My main usage will be for fps games and music. I recently tried the HD 598's but was quite disappointed with the bass so don't want to make that mistake again. Would my soundcard be okay to use as DAC as well? Any help help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 4
I would think the Sound Blaster Z can decently drive 250-Ohm headphones.

Check out the Audio Technica (40-Ohm) ATH-AD900X open headphones, should offer a little more balanced audio over the DT990's full bass & full treble.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 4
That would be nice if the SBZ could drive it, but say that did give it enough juice for them to go as loud as I want, I know there's more to it than that (soundstaging ect.). Will I fully be taking advantage of the cans by using the sound blaster z? I know this sounds crazy, but with my current setup I yielded much better results with the sound blaster z than with the HT Omega eClaro that I tried. The creative card has been solid as a rock for me, but I'm just a bit skeptical I guess.

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 4
For flat, neutral, low cost (DIY available) amp only: O2
Sleek, warm, low cost amp only: Schiit Magni
DAC/Amp combo, low cost: HRT Headstreamer, Microstreamer

Basically check out O2, Schiit Audio, and HRT. You can't go wrong with those. Hope this helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back