Amp for DT990 Pro under $1000?
Oct 10, 2005 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rpaul

100+ Head-Fier
What is the best (in terms of synergy) solid state amp under $1000 for the DT990 Pro? Cost should be inclusive of any recommended power supply.

Here are the ones that I have read the most about in this forum, though there are not too many posts regarding the DT990 Pro:
a) RSA HR-2 (which opamp?)
b) Corda HA-2 MKII (SE?)
c) Headamp GS-1
d) Black Cube Linear

I have excluded the HeadRoom Desktop (sorry TheSloth!) because adding the external power supply takes it out of my restricted budget.

I am not looking for any DIY solutions please.

Yeah yeah I should be the judge of the "best" sound with my ears, but it would be very difficult for me to audition all of them. So I'm looking for a concensus based on your experience-backed recommendations. Hopefully I will be able to check out the top 2 choices and make the final decision myself.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 5
Bought the Ray Samuels this summer (standard opamp), and I've been meaning to post my impressions. I actually have a draft started and this is my take on the HR-2 and the DT990 Pro:

Quote:

The DT990 takes on a more balanced character. The warmth of the amp seems to tame the brightness of the highs. The mids are brought more forward in contrast, and the bass, while still prominent, gains in definition and impact. The detail these cans can deliver has never been more in evidence, and their fun factor has never been greater

Haven't heard any of the others on your lest, but I'm sure you'll hear from those who have.
tongue.gif

BW

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 5
I'd also consider the good old fashioned Sugden Headmaster as well, especially if you can pick one up in the used market. The Sugden is very quick, and IMO (if anything), this is where the DT880's need help. They're a solid performer with practically any amp you can throw at them, so you'll be fine no matter which way you go. Yet, they sometimes come across with sort of a of "matter of fact" type of presentation (i.e., very neutral and not too "exciting"), so with a solid state amp, I'd be looking for something with a lot of zip to open them up.

The HR-2 is also a solid choice. I don't know much about the other options you've listed, so I'm not making a recommendation for the Sugden so much as to simply toss it out there for your consideration. The Dynahi would also seem to be an excellent choice.

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
And conveniently, there's a maxxed dynahi-sa on the forsale forum for under your budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Despite the self interest bump, this would definitely be well worth considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back