Amp for DT990 250ohms
Oct 25, 2010 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DarkEnergy

New Head-Fier

After some thought I've decided to purchase Beyer Dynamics DT990s 250ohm version. (This will be my second audiophile headphone, the first being an HD555 that I ran without an amp).

I am now trying to decide on a headphone amp for it. Please note that I will be using these headphones and their associated amplifier exclusively with my desktop computer. I doubt I'll ever even unplug them! Anyway, my budget is around $150-200. I'm very new to the apm world, having never purchased one, but so far this one looks good:

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-total-bithead.php

It looks pretty good to me, but some guy in one of the user reviews said it wasn't strong enough to power "some" headphones adequately. I have no idea if the dt990 250ohms is one of these headphones, or if hes talking about one of those 600ohm pairs!

So should I go for these? Or are there any other amps in the sub-$200 range that would be a better choice?

Thanks a lot!

PS I have an onboard soundcard in my computer, if that matters.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Is there a reason you're looking for a portable amp if its going to stay at your desk all the time?

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I thought this thread was already dead :p

I'm still researching an amp. The reason I've posted in the portable amp section is because my budget is around $150-200, and after googling around a bit it seems I cant afford a full fledged amp.

Anyway, whether the apm is portable or not doesn't matter. I'm simply looking for the best possible deal within my budget.

Thanks!

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, the Bithead should probably be ok with the 250 ohm version, even if you listen loud.  I used to have a pair of the DT990/600s and have a pair of DT770/600s right now.  Both are/were driven pretty well by my Bithead, but I listen kinda soft.

I don't know how this applies to the 250 ohm versions, but I've found the SQ on the 600 ohm Beyers to be relatively insensitive to amping.  They tend to still sound good even on weak amps with volume being the limiting factor.  My HD650s in comparison sound much worse from my weaker amps than they do from my stronger ones.

Unfortunately there aren't many desktop amps for less than $200.  For about $50 more there are a lot more options.  If you can't swing a little more then the Bithead is likely to work quite well.  Its USB DAC is probably a lot better than your current onboard sound and the amp section is great too.  If you hacked in a higher voltage power supply it would be a full fledged desktop amp.  (I'm just making a point here rather than recommend you actually do it.)  Another option in your price range would be a uDAC and a cmoy.  Cmoys generally run from  9V versus the 5V or 6V (from USB and battery power respectively) so it should probably give you a lot more volume than the Bithead.

I've also heard good things about this, but I also heard they aren't making them any more.  You might want to check on that and see if there are any available though.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Definitely go for a used amp. A DIY design will offer the best bang for the buck.

If you get a little lucky, you could pick up a M^3 for $250-$300 which can drive pretty much anything. Other DIY amps like a Pimeta can be had for your price range, but I have no experience with it. Keep looking!

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Just to clarify, the Mini^3 (portable) and M^3 (desktop) are different amps. You can get a used Mini^3 for under $100. Rockhopper Audio is another great source for either of these amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back