Amp for Alpha Prime
Jan 31, 2015 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

logscool

Head-Fier
I am about to recieve an Alpha Prime and am looking at upgrading my ODAC+O2 to something more capable of driving these. While I am not necesarilly looking for a portable amp if I can have something that is portable with now cost to sound quality I would prefer that. After talking to MrSpeakers I am looking into the following options.

LH Labs Geek Out 1000
ifi micro idsd
Centrance Hifi-M8
Centrance Dac Port
Project Ember

I would like it to be small if possible as I don't really want to have a large desktop amp but I would consider it if it offers a clear advantage. I very much like the idea of solid state amps however I would be ok with looking into tube amps and I also am not only willing to DIY but would love DIY amp possiblities. I am also particularily curious as to how the ifi micro idsd would perform specifically with regards to it's amp since everyone just seems to talk about its DAC.

Edit:
I am also considering trying to get one of the following amps used.
Burson Soloist SL
Vioelectric V200
Vioelectric V181

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 37
Feb 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 37
I use a Schiit Audio Lyr 2 to run my Alpha Prime's. However I hear good things about project ember.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 37
I have decided that I will for sure be getting one of the followinf three desktop amps.
Burson Soloist (not the SL as I said before)
Vioelectric V200
Project Ember
With the project ember being about half the cost of the other two. Any opinions on which one I should go for would be great.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 37
The Garage1217 Project Polaris meets all of the criteria you mentioned—it's small, solid-state, and can be had for even less if you get it as a DIY kit instead of pre-built. And on paper it's more than powerful enough to drive the Alpha Prime, or any other planar magnetic headphones.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 37
I don't know how I missed the Project Polaris I will definitely have to build one of those up. I just pulled the trigger on a project ember with some extra tubes and the supercharger upgrade. I am still considering a portableish device that could be used as a dac when at home.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 37
I don't think the X5 would really be an upgrade from my current 02/ODAC, I am considering something more like the Hifi-M8 or ifi micro idsd or Mini-M8 (wouldn't be used to amp the Prime often or ever in the case of the Mini-M8).

I am really loving the Project Ember, it has lots of power and the easy tube rolling feature is great and lots of fun. The Alpha Prime with this amp is an amazing combo that is very natural and cohesive sounding. A really neutral sounding setup that still has great bass impact and some really nice detail.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 37
Purrin has indicated that the Prime is less efficient than the Alpha Dog. Currently, I drive the AD on my Gustard H10 and Dragon IHA-1. But if the Ember and Polaris can capably drive the Prime, I would think both the H10 and the Dragon IHA-1 should work.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 37
  I don't think the X5 would really be an upgrade from my current 02/ODAC, I am considering something more like the Hifi-M8 or ifi micro idsd or Mini-M8 (wouldn't be used to amp the Prime often or ever in the case of the Mini-M8).

I am really loving the Project Ember, it has lots of power and the easy tube rolling feature is great and lots of fun. The Alpha Prime with this amp is an amazing combo that is very natural and cohesive sounding. A really neutral sounding setup that still has great bass impact and some really nice detail.

Yeah possibly not. Hifi-M8 probably best bet? For portable listening I use FIIO X5 with cayin C5 powering my alpha primes. It's a great little setup in really pleased with it though I'd prefer a hi-fi-m8 definitely.

Awesome great to hear, I just bought a Project Ember today, again fiio x5 dac into project ember powering alpha primes. I'm so excited can't wait to get ember set up. Got a bit of a wait tho as in UK and delivery etc could take up to 14 working days. Which input am I best using with ember? I have a mini coax to coax cable (fiio output are mini coax, line out and headphones out).

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 37
 Which input am I best using with ember? I have a mini coax to coax cable (fiio output are mini coax, line out and headphones out).

The only input on the Project Ember is unbalanced stereo RCA in. You would want to run line out from your fiio to the RCA inputs on the Project Ember with a 3.5mm TRS to stereo RCA cable.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 37
  The only input on the Project Ember is unbalanced stereo RCA in. You would want to run line out from your fiio to the RCA inputs on the Project Ember with a 3.5mm TRS to stereo RCA cable.

Thanks, this is cheeky but could you post a link to suitable cable I'm unfamiliar with this type of cable. Does ember have 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch headphone input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back