Amp for AKG 702 with good synergy?
Jul 6, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

SolidVictory

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I just pulled the trigger on the AKG K702 headphones and am wondering what would be a good desktop amp to go along with them? I am looking to spend around $200-$300.

I've read that the AKG 702's go well with SS (solid state?) headphone amps, and not so much with tube amps. Any recommendations would be great, especially if you've heard the AKG 701/702's with that amp! It would also be great to know which amps have good synergy with the AKG 701/702.

Edit: Just for clarification, I'm looking for specific amps, not just a recommendation for either tube/solid-state.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 27
The K701/2 should go well with both IMO. All depends on your preference. I'm powering mine with both and I find myself reaching the tubes more often. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 27
I researched this exact question a lot recently and from what I got from all of it was that Heed Canamp has amazing synergy with the k701/702....saving right now for this setup

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 27
Talking about synergy, the upcoming Schiit tube amp is said to be designed especially for AKG headphones i.e. K7/6/501

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 27
I'm on my way down the never-ending spiral of spending of head-fi world
tongue_smile.gif

I have a Audio-gd C-2 with my K702 and really like it so far. It's above your limit at $350+ shipping, but that's what you get when you research on head-fi.. temptation!
But I was in the same boat as you and I had the Matrix m-stage, Little Dot MKIII/MKIV and Darkvoice 336 on my shortlist.  Check out the threads on these.  I looked at both SS and tube - SS because of supposed synergy with K702, but I still like tubes - had an integrated tube amp and loved the tubey sound.

cheers

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 27
I think you could save a little more to get a decent amp to drive your Akg's. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 27
Musical Fidelity X-CAN headphone amplifiers, as in the X-CANS/V2/V3/V8 or V8P are hybrid amps with loads of power and a trademark sound emphasising detail, clarity and musicality, similar to the AKGs. There are loads appearing on ebay as second hand. The super build quality means they retain more or less the original prices, so the X-CANS/V2 start about £100.

A new V8P is about £400, but it is being replaced with a purely solid state amp.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 27
We've been talking a lot about what have good synergy with the K701 but I haven't seen anyone reporting an amp that badly match them and how the K701 would sound like with that kind of amp (good quality but bad synergy). 

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 27
I use both the meir head-fi and the MKIII. I have to say I go back and forth between them and I do not have a preference. The MKIII has that tubey sound, makes the 701's sound more laid back and gives them more sound stage. While the Meir is "crisper" and more forward. For me it really depends on mood I am in and what I am listening to, for Jaz and female vocals I definitely prefer the MKIII, but for rock it depends more on the recording.
You can find a used Meir <200 and a used MKIII <300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back