Amp for 6xx
Jan 15, 2018 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

violinwild

New Head-Fier
I'm ordering a 6xx from MassDrop and need some guidance in powering them. I'm quite new to amplifying headphones. I'm currently trying to decide between buying the Magni 3 or the LittleDot MkII on Massdrop (with the JAN5654 tubes).

The research I've done shows a wide variety of opinions and facts, so I'm a bit at a loss as to what to think. Tube amps, I'm told, are warmer. Some think the 6xx are already warm and tube amps make them muddy, others think they pair extremely well with tube amps.

I listen to mostly classical, folk, and indie stuff, my main priority is for classical and acoustic stuff. I'm also a musician and record and produce my own stuff; I'd planned on using my Scarlet Focusrite 2i2 as the DAC for my listening, at least for now. Any thoughts or suggestions based on this info? I'm open to suggestions outside my two options as well.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 5
Budget?

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 5
The amp that apparently gives it the most life and energy is the Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball upgrade, yes, if you don't mind building it yourself.
The amp other infamous pairing for the HD6-- series is the Schiit Valhalla+Bifrost, thought I'm guessing that's out of your budget since you mentioned the Magni3 instead..
The Little Dot amps all sound great with Sennheisers, I personally own the LD MKII and I say it'd be great if you love a warm rich sound.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 5
Many people like tubes with Senn HD600's and HD650's. The difference is in your taste. I run mine out of a warm sounding solid state amp, and a neutral solid state amp, and love them on both. It's really up to your taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back