Amp for 600 ohm akg,s
Feb 22, 2011 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

veggiop

New Head-Fier

[size=x-small]Hi
I am after a recomendation for a headphone amp with enough power to run the voltage hungry Akg k240DF and sextetts (both 600 ohm)
I am thinking of the matrix mstage ss amp with adjustable gain or the bottlehead crack otl valve amp (diy kit)
Also SQ is also important as well as power as these headphones are a bitch to get the best out of them (high Z + low sensitivity)
The DF are the hardest to drive and sound a bit boring out of the xcan v2 as i dont think the v2 is really capable of driving them as well as nearly having the volume on full to get any loudness out of them
I also have the K501 which are also a pain to run
Akg k240df are 600 ohm, 88db spl/mw, max input 200mw.
The sextetts are the same specs but the sensitivity is 94db/mw
This is the link for the bottlehead crack amp
http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=44&rn=442&action=show_detail[/size]

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 4
there were another thread like this and you have the vintage receiver thread going too. well to answer question. i never used the bottlehead but if your on a limiting budget and not worried about desktop space a vintage receiver will have enough juice to drive those. also if you don't mind doing a little soldering. you can always solder some speaker wire to headphone drivers and hook them directly to speaker outs of a receiver/power amp as long as your very careful with the volume knob. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Veggiop, the old 600 ohms monsters AKG used to make, love raw power. 

Regarding the desktop amplifier, what kind of set up are you trying to build? Right now I am testing a CD-player from its headphone out and it does not disappoint with my DF. 

In all honesty, the Matrix is tempting and interesting but for the future I am also eyeing the Little Dot Mark V. Even so, my SRC2496 DAC/amp has not failed in giving the DF what it needs with adjustable gain and adjustable volume.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back